+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have also found that ppl gift you a lot of items so try to minimise the amount of clothes, newborn nappies and smaller items as ppl want to be able to buy things for you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

OSmum2017  (18-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    congrats on your pregnancy!

bub will need:

right away (ie from birth):

somewhere safe to sleep - a bassinet is smaller but they'll outgrow it pretty fast. a cot is probably better if $ is tight. as others have said, cot itself can be used (just make sure it complies with current safety standards) but always get a brand new mattress. my parents just bought an ikea cot for ds for when we go interstate to visit. i think it was really cheap like $79 or something. so you can get inexpensive brand new if so inclined.

a baby bath. i'd definitely go used for this, assuming it's clean and in good shape.

some kind of change station. if space is an issue you could get one that is a change table/chest of draws in one. if you're really strapped for cash/space though, skip this. you can change bub on a bed (esp before they start moving around!). you can also use a towel on the ground if you need to.

decide how you intend to feed bub. if bottle feeding you'll need a few bottles etc. plus cleaning/sterilizing equipment. if breastfeeding, have a bottle on hand at least as backup. it's peace of mind if nothing else. i swore a breast pump was a luxury i could afford to skip. i was wrong. ended up buying one when ds was 4 or 5 days old. up to you but at least do some research on what you might like to buy should you need to get one in a hurry. i got the medela swing from chemist warehouse one desperate afternoon. they're not cheap either so if cash is an issue look at putting some money aside now so you're not caught short (i reckon about $250-$300).

obviously you'll need clothes for bubs...little gro suits and a few bonds zippies. can all be bought used if in reasonable quality. just give it a wash before use. you might like to invest in a beanie or two as well. we had heaps as gifts but never used them (ds was born in summer).

those are really the necessities for a newborn. if bub is sleeping in your room you won't need a monitor right away so don't worry about buying one just yet. think about it once they're in their own room. although you've said your place is tiny; chances are you'll hear bub crying from anywhere in your apartment so don't think you have to get a monitor. they're actually not that useful!

as bubs approaches 4 months, you'll prob start thinking about solids, so invest in a cheap lightweight and easy to clean high chair. ikea antilop is $25 and fits the bill. the legs come on and off so if you're needing to take it anywhere, it's easily transportable. you'll also need little food containers for freezing/storing baby food and a good bib! a cheap mat for the floor is also a good idea!

don't worry about toys til bubs is older. you'll be gifted a ton of toys so you prob won't need to buy that much. basic toys in bright colours are best. skip the soft cuddly toys til they're older. my ds is 14 months and has only just started enjoying cuddly toys. look into joining your local toy library and you'll have access to all their toys for a fraction of what it costs to buy them. and no clutter/storage issues!

babies are so simple and have such basic needs when they're tiny. they just want lots of snuggles and comfort. all the best!! xx

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (18-05-2017),BlueSky22  (23-06-2017),OSmum2017  (18-05-2017),pr0ud Mummy  (19-06-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default 1st child: what to buy?

oh yes, forgot the pram and car seat
    we got a seat that's suitable 0-4 years so works out cheaper than using a capsule then having to upgrade to a seat after 6 months. get a good sturdy pram (can be used but make sure it's safe etc), a good pram is a lifesaver.

also swaddles/wraps for the newborn weeks/months. later on you can progress to a sleeping sack/gro bag but initially they like to sleep with their arms tightly wrapped.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

OSmum2017  (18-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me, a cot has been useless as neither of my kids slept in it! But I would get a cot and skip the bassinet.

I also found I needed a baby carrier. Especially since I use/d public transport a lot. And both my kids disliked prams a lot as babies.

Wraps - mine hated wrapping. But I would suggest maybe getting large muslin cloths/stretchy wraps as they are cheaper before you find out if your bub likes wrapping or not.

Carseat if you have a car.

Highchair you can get later.

Clothes.

Terry cloth nappies are the best! I use them all the time. Mostly for clean up but they make good burp cloths too.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

OSmum2017  (18-05-2017),turquoisecoast  (17-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    oh yes! the terry cloth nappies!!! most versatile item hands down! get yourself a pack from kmart (you get a dozen for about $12), can be used for anything and everything. mainly as spew rags in the early days, an extra blanket for bubs if they're cold, a mat to lay down on on the floor, a sun shade over the pram etc etc. we still have one or two handy with ds now when out and about plus use them as change table covers as they are so easy to wash. they're even handy as hand towels/cloths for us!

a carrier can be a lifesaver as some bubs are koalas but don't buy one until you know you need it. they're $$ and my ds (for example) never really liked them. you can also buy those fabric wraps (look at the chekoh website for an idea) or slings. i bought 2 chekoh wraps, ds wasn't huge on them but i'm hoping i get more use with baby no 2!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

magicmashie  (18-05-2017),OSmum2017  (18-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much everyone! A lot of great advice! I've made a list and I feel much better.

I live in Finland, so if I'm lucky, I may be eligible for the celebrated baby box, which would be a huge help for clothes and a few accessories, but I'll have to wait a while to find out if I'll be able to receive it.