+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1st child: what to buy?

For those of you who've already had a kid/many kids, how did you get prepared for the arrival of your baby in terms of deciding what to buy/get?

I really was just hoping my health nurse would give me a list ... like when you go to school camp. But I told my friend this and she laughed at me.

I'm sure there are a lot of lists around, or existing threads on this, so any recommended links, or your own personal tips are welcome. I just have no idea where to start!

We live in a 1 bedroom apartment, have a limited budget and no car, so I'm keen to only get the necessities and decide on the rest as the needs arise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A cot. Can be secondhand but get a new mattress.

The IKEA high chair. Cheap and great. Not needed for first 6 months.

Baby clothes.

Swaddles/wraps

Pram

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

OSmum2017  (17-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Pram
    Cot & new mattress
    Wraps
    Clothes
    Nappies
    Bottles ( can come in handy even if breast feeding)

Its worth having look at what is available second hand, especially when it comes to prams and cots if you want to save some money.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

OSmum2017  (17-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't waste too much money on newborn clothes. I got heaps, some of the things only got worn once, some not at all. Not to mention all the cute newborn clothes are hidden by the swaddles and wraps you have them in.
    Then you get to when they are 6 months plus and you have hardly any clothes.
    A bouncer is definitely needed. It's handy for when you have to put the baby down and go to the loo. I didn't have one until 6 weeks old and it was the best thing ever

7. The Following User Says Thank You to magicmashie For This Useful Post:

OSmum2017  (17-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cot
    Sling
    Pram
    Car seat
    Clothes
    Baby blanket
    Breast bump or bottles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Things you don't need - change table - just get a change mat for the floor. Baby carriers are non essential. Nappy bags are expensive, when a rucksack will probably do. I don't think baby baths are really essential either. Expensive high chairs are difficult to clean, as a pp said get the IKEA one.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

OSmum2017  (17-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Cot (second hand you can find plenty of good ones, just get a new mattress)

Pram

Car seat (I know you don't have a car, but if you have someone who may drive you frequently it could be something you need to consider)

Clothes

Nappies

Wipes

Linen for cot

Swaddles/wraps

I'm still in the process of working out what I actually need. We have bought very little. The rest of what we have has been handed down to us.

Look on places like gumtree/BSS pages. We got a matching cot, change table and chest of drawers for $600 and it looks almost brand new bar a couple of small scratches on the top of the chest of drawers. The people we bought it from paid something close to $1500 for it. They also threw in cot sheets and mattress protectors plus a mesh cot wrap for free seeings as they won't need them anymore. I also bought a bednest co-sleeper bassinet on gumtree for $150. Brand new retails for something like $600. Again, they threw in mattress protectors and bassinet sheets. They also had spare mesh for the side as one of the sides had a tear so they replaced it, and threw in the spare one that came with it.

You can also find things like wraps and baby carriers second hand online if you think you might Baby wear. My sister gave me her ergo and a woven wrap for free. My aunt is also giving me her ergo (is in a much better condition to my sisters) and we bought an ergobaby wrap as well.

Keep an eye out for sales and specials at baby shops. Most of them have an email list you can sign up to. I bought some super cute cot sheets the other day for $15 thanks to a 40% off sale. They match some jersey wraps I had already bought.

BSS pages also often have people selling off lots of baby clothes. Just today someone was selling a vac bag full of brand name baby clothes at about $50 a bag (each bag was separated into sizes).

If you're close to a DFO/Harbourtown you might be able to get some good bargains. We don't know what we're having and struggled with finding gender neutral clothing. We struck gold at DFO (Bonds, Ollies Place). Between that and the boys stuff we have second hand from my sister, we prob won't *need* to buy many more clothes for a while. I'm sure we still will though haha.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

BlueSky22  (23-06-2017),OSmum2017  (17-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have no car and are intending to use a pram alot, i would invest in a really good quality pram with lots of under basket space. I use our pram even inside when bub wont settle via other methods, also very useful as our bubba likes to watch us in the kitchen etc and just be around us, so easy to wheel her around in the pram.

Agree re clothes, and buying second hand wherever possible. Ever if we had bucket loads of money to buy everything brand new, bub will grow so quickly its not really worth it.

Sounds silly, but a comfy place to sit while breastfeeding or bottle feeding. I have a comfy spot setup on our couch with supplies within hands reach and netflix to watch during long feeding sessions.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

OSmum2017  (17-05-2017),Shellosaurus  (21-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^Oh yes best thing I bought was a lazy boy rocker recliner. Perfect for feeding, rocking bub to sleep, then kicking out the foot stool and letting them sleep on you while you watch old episodes of 90210

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

OSmum2017  (17-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Before you buy brand new, always check Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace - all of our baby furniture, including pram are secondhand. Didn't intend it to be that way but there are some great quality items secondhand and obviously cheaper than brand new. I have found that ppl care well for their baby items so that they can re-sell them

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

OSmum2017  (17-05-2017)