+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default IPads / tablets? Help a noob!

So, I'm looking to buy a tablet for both the grown ups and 2.5 yr old DS to use. I have been completely overwhelmed by my online searches, and I don't know what to get, or even what I'm looking at some of the time!

What tablet do you have for you and your kids? My preference is for Android-based, but open to iPads too,

I am looking for something not very expensive (as I'm sure DS will do some damage to it at some point). Probably at least 8 inch screen. Durable. Easy to use.

I want DS to be able to watch things like ABC iView out of the house - so I'll need something with a SIM won't I, not just wi-fi? The want for something with a SIM is what seems to be really driving the price up.

Or are there easy ways of downloading shows, etc, that we could take with us to watch on the go without wi-fi? (If so, keep the instructions simple - I'm not awesome with technology!)

What tablet do you have? Do you recommend it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a Samsung tab 3 for our 7yo and 5 yo. We got the foamy/rubbery protectors and they haven't had a cracked screen since we got them 3 years ago. Samsung has a kids app that you can download for free that means you can lock the kids into kids mode and you have a lot of control over what they can do. Then you use a pin to exit kids mode to use it as a normal tablet. Google play has so much free stuff that you don't need to pay for games. ABC kids iview works on their tablets. Because of all the games that comes with the kids mode app and all their free games from Play, we haven't tried to play movies or shows away from our home wifi, so I can't help you with that one, but I would definitely recommend a Samsung tablet with the kids mode app.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tb2 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (18-05-2017)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    if you get a tablet with lots of storage, you can download videos etc onto it to watch away from home, which would mean you dont need a sim card/data package.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (18-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing as we're looking to get a new tablet for DD. I didn't know you could have a pin-locked 'kids mode' - we might get one that the whole family can use in that case!

I've never had any experience with Android. Does Netflix work ok on it?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (18-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have Samsung Galaxy tab A 8.0 from telstra. $20 a month for 24 months that includes 1 gig of data. It also shares with my phones data so that up to 16 gigs a month.

I love my pad. It's a great size. It's fits in my handbag nicely but it big enough to see.
    As for netflix/stan/dramafever/viki etc... it works great. It's all I use. I never watch anything on the tv.

It has a expandable memory using a SD card.

I have mine in a hard cover that has a hard screen protector. It's has had lots of falls on to bare concrete over the last year and it's still in perfect nic.

We have a iPad, a Samsung 10 inch and a few of the El cheapo Samsung from big w. We have had other pads over the years too. My current one is my favorite. 20170516_203350.jpg
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 16-05-2017 at 21:18.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (19-05-2017),JustJaq  (18-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have iPads, so can't comment on that, but if you have a decent amount of data on your phone plan you can hot spot your phone and use the phone's internet for your tablet via wifi. Plus loads of places have free wifi these days.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (18-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Your comments sent me off in a few different directions for research! Still don't really know what I'm doing though! Lol.

I hadn't really thought about hotspotting my phone - thanks for that @LittleBug'sMum.

And i didn't even know you could get tablets on plans with Telstra etc either, thanks @LoveLivesHere.
    @BH-KatiesMum, sorry for the stupid question, but how do you download stuff to watch later (when you don't have wifi)? Is it an ITunes thing? I don't have iTunes.. as you can tell.

I'm starting to feel old! Lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Apps like netflix. Stan etc.. have a download option.
    Both apple and Android have play store/itunes where you can buy or rent movies or TV shows that you can download.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (19-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you! So much to figure out...

I'm tossing up between a cheaper tablet and hotspotting when required, or getting a cheap tablet on a plan with Telstra or Optus. 🤔

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use iPads, we got DS an iPad mini for his 2 birthday last year put it in a kids rubber protection, he has dropped it a few times but no cracked screens or anything. We download shows for him to watch while in the car on long road trips. iPad also has the guided access so you can lock them into a program. DS watches some shows on Kids YouTube and plays games on his.