+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't drink tea or coffee but love the smell of freshly brewed coffee! DS 22 doesn't drink either but DD 19 started tea/ coffee when she was about 15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A cup of tea in a child size china teacup every Sunday at my Nanna's with a slice of cake is a fond childhood memory. I probably started having tea regularly at breakfast from age 10 or 11. Either regular black tea or dandelion tea. Coffee I didn't start having regularly until over 18 but from 15 or so would have a cappuccino if we were out. However I did used to like making iced coffee's after school in one of those nescafe promo ice coffee shakers. Neither I (or mum apparently) made the connection that this was not the same as a chocolate milkshake. Only a few years ago that it hit me that this habit was probably behind some of my trouble falling asleep as a pre-teen/teen. Especially in summer (prime ice-coffee time!) I'd be in tears at not being able to fall asleep for hours after going to bed.

I have no problem with my kids having black tea on the odd occasion. As a regular thing we drink rooibos tea though. I switched to it when I had my last DD as she reacted shockingly to any caffeine.

Something that really bugs my kids is that I say no coke/coffee until you are a grown up and have stopped growing. And it shocks me the number of kids that seem to be allowed to have coke/cola drinks. My kids are allowed soft drink for take-away night and at parties etc but lemonade only if possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    And it shocks me the number of kids that seem to be allowed to have coke/cola drinks. My kids are allowed soft drink for take-away night and at parties etc but lemonade only if possible.
    Agree. I drink coke. And the kids bug me for it, but if I say no they move on, until next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was probably about 3 or 4 when I started drinking tea by nana is from the country and well it was normal for kids to start drinking tea at a young age, I started drinking coffee at about age 11 but always had it with milk

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD has been drinking tea since she was about 3 or so, neither of us drink coffee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My grandma would serve us up "crack" coffee (as we would call it) from a very young age. I don't know what she did to prepare it but our hearts would be racing... even as an adult! That along with dry toast and room temperature OJ. She was a dear but didn't have a domesticated bone in her body. I take after her. Being from the states, we would drink a lot of herbal tea, loads of green or jasmine tea (seems we went out for Chinese food a lot and loved having our fortunes read in the bottom of the tea cup!). It wasn't until I moved to Australia in 2004 that I begun having "real tea" after dinner, with milk/sugar and biscuits (cookies as we would call them). I blame this daily routine on my ever increasing waistline! It's such a ritual here, I love making tea for my family and friends, love having it served to me even more. We have no kids but I'd encourage the tea ritual with them... it can be calming and meditative... and the sooner you teach them, the sooner they will bring you a cuppa!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started drinking tea at about 11, I'm an avid tea drinker. It's one of the things I love the most and has been ever since that age! In the mornings though I usually have coffee, which I didn't start drinking until about 16 or 17. DD (almost 5) has never had tea, I'd never even though to give it to her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I occasionally had a sip of my mum's tea as a child - as far back as I can remember. Coffee I started making from about 9 (it had about 1/4 tsp of instant coffee with chocolate nesquick) - drinking on a regular basis from around 12. I'm not sure when I started drinking tea regularly; maybe 14?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had tea from about 10, and coffee I wasn't allowed until 15, but I used to sneak a spoon of instant coffee into my cups of tea from about 12. For what it's worth, small children in Africa drink chai tea like everyone else there does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were not allowed coffee, even as teens. We always drank Milo. My parents aren't tea drinkers so never had that. I've never had a cup of coffee, I don't like the taste. I still drink a lot of milo and the occasional tea.