+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default HS School Counselors

We have never needed to see a counselor for anything so we don't know if this is normal or not?
    We moved from the city to country at the start of this year with family. While we were prepared for it, family was not and got abusive to us before leaving. All of our children weren't coping with the abuse, esp our eldest who started Yr7 this year. I spoke to her year adviser who suggested her seeing the school counselor. I thought it might be a good idea to have someone to talk to as she wasn't opening up to us as usual. She has been for 4 sessions, had the same questions asked every time, but now is having questions asked about the home we are living in/building. We are now looking at pulling her out as we (and her) feel she has gotten nothing from it.

Are we over reacting by thinking this is invasive and not related to why our DD would be seeing the school counselor? Would you pull her out?

Please don't quote as I will delete later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's hard to tell if the counselor is being invasive as we're not there. Counselors (usually) ask questions in response to the line of conversation. It depends what your child has said. Also, your child won't remember everything that was discussed so won't be able to provide an accurate picture.

I think school counselors are very valuable in that they're objective and removed from the life of the child and you never know what a person can get out of a chat with a professional. However, like all services, some are better than others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some times councillors go of topic to make the child feel at ease and to get them to open up. Unless there is a problem with where you are currently living you have nothing to worry about.
    Talk to your child and if they are benefiting from it then I'd let them keep going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The counselor hasn't asked a single question about how DD is or feeling about everything, just asked a load of questions about me instead (how am I coping etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS used to see the school counsellor when he was in HS. They do ask a lot of questions to try and get the child to open up and converse ! Teenagers are very good at not talking!

To you it may seem the counsellor isn't asking the right questions but he/she may be throwing some extra questions in there to get your child to open up or extend on their response

It's hard being a parent of a teenager. Mine are 22 and 19 .

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Counsellor is likely trying to build up some rapport with your DD, which may be difficult (depending on how your DD presents at the time). I work in the field, and often find myself speaking about seemingly "irrelevant" topics, but really what we are doing is building a trusting relationship. It's unlikely your DD will open up until she feels completely comfortable.

Of course, some Counsellors are simply time wasters and not very effective.

I say give it some time. If your DD is not feeling like she's getting any benefit after a few more sessions, then you/she has every right to stop attending.