+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Maternity leave - start/ EDD and questions

Hi all,

everything going well with our screening results in the next 2 or so weeks, I am planning on tell my boss about my pregnancy is 3 weeks time when i hit the 4 months mark.

It is going to be a bit of a tricky conversation as my due date falls about 2ish weeks after my 1 year mark in the company. From what i read, it still entitles me to my 12 months of leave (as we don't have contracts i have to rely on official department information and apparently the estimated due date is all that count). We're very small so no HR, just the boss.

Where i come from, the mat leave start is sort of set in rules so it's pretty easy but it doesn't seem to be the case here in Victoria (or Australia?).

I work as an administrator in a small office. I am at my desk 7.5-hours a day and while i wish i didn't have to deal my boss everyday, it's not very hard or strenuous work. The office is 35 minutes away from home - i drive- and about 10 minutes from my doctor and the hospital.

So I'd like to know:
    - how long before your due date did you stop working?
    - Have you been in a situation where you might stop working before your 1 year mark with a company? Did it go well? Any issues presenting it to your boss?
    - How long before you finish/how far into your pregnancy have you had to confirm your maternity leave dates?

thanks a lot for your help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    - how long before your due date did you stop working? 3 weeks with #1, 4 weeks with #2.

- Have you been in a situation where you might stop working before your 1 year mark with a company? Did it go well? Any issues presenting it to your boss? No sorry

- How long before you finish/how far into your pregnancy have you had to confirm your maternity leave dates? Under the parental leave legislation (Fair Work Act / National Employment Standards:
    "An employee has to give notice to their employer at least 10 weeks before starting their unpaid parental leave. This notice needs to be in writing, and say how much leave they want to take, including the starting and finishing dates.

An employee has to confirm their parental leave dates with their employer at least 4 weeks before they are due to start their leave. If there have been any changes to the dates the employee should tell their employer as soon as possible."
    https://www.fairwork.gov.au/leave/ma...parental-leave

Good luck having the conversation with your boss. If you can work to 38 weeks, you will be entitled to unpaid parental leave so don't let them think you're not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Good luck having the conversation with your boss. If you can work to 38 weeks, you will be entitled to unpaid parental leave so don't let them think you're not.
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't quite get the part about 38 weeks and unpaid leave.
    I read about unpaid leave and I didn't find any mention of having to work to 38 weeks to qualify?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Galdoria View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't quite get the part about 38 weeks and unpaid leave.
    I read about unpaid leave and I didn't find any mention of having to work to 38 weeks to qualify?
    You don't have to work to 38 weeks, but you're only entitled to unpaid parental leave once you've been with the company for 12 months. You mentioned that your 1 year anniversary is about 2 weeks before your due date, so you would have to work until your 1 year anniversary to be entitled to unpaid parental leave (and the guarantee of a job to come back to).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry i'm very slow to think today. I got what you're saying about an hour ago..

Reading the Fair Work pages, they seem to insist that what matters is that the employee has work 12 months with the employer at the date of birth or at the estimated date of birth if the employee is still pregnant. I was sort of hoping that i wouldn't need to work all the way to my anniversary date.
    Hum, i suppose it will depend on how nice my boss wants to be...
    Last edited by Galdoria; 15-05-2017 at 15:22. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For number 1.. I worked up to 10 days before bub was born.. Though was in for a meeting 2 days before my planned c section. This time I plan to work up to 6 days before. I have a desk job, though is long shifts and can be quite stressful. I have to notify work 10 weeks before going on Mat leave and also a medical cert to say I am fit to work beyond 35 weeks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

Galdoria  (24-05-2017)