+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Post natal Insomnia

DS is now 10 weeks old and his sleeping is not too bad. Generally he will sleep in 5-6 hour stretches.

Since he was about 3 weeks old I have been unable to get back to sleep after he wakes. I started taking Temazepam 10 mg to help me get back to sleep. The insomnia has now gotten to a point where I am desperate. I cannot even get to sleep when I go to bed initially even though I am exhausted. As an example last night I went to bed at 11pm was still awake at 12.30, took a temazepam, it didn't work and I was still awake at 2.45 am when DS woke up, put him back to bed at 3.30 and took two more temazepam and then I slept from about 4am to 7.30am but not continuously, was broken sleep.

I feel drowsy when I get into bed and can hardly keep my eye open. Then when I turn off the light I am wide awake. I have tried the usual things like no screens, no eating too late, no caffeine and nothing has helped. I don't want to continue to take the temazepam as I'm worried I will never be able to sleep without it but in any event I think it's effectiveness is declining.

I don't think I have anxiety or depression but this insomnia is certainly starting to lead me down that track.

Can anyone who has suffered this post natal insomnia give me any tips on how they overcame it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    insomnia can be a symptom of ppd so i'd be going and having a chat with my gp if i were you xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    ps where did you get the temaz from and why are you self medicating?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Post natal Insomnia

I remember with my first I couldn't sleep as I was anxiously listening to hear my dd was still breathing, I installed the under mattress breathing monitor that I had not planned on using when she was in our room and it meant if I stirred and thought about if she was ok I could look at the light and go straight back to sleep. I don't know if this is the reason you're unable to sleep but agree that you should stop taking the tablets and try to find other methods.

When I've suffered non pregnancy/baby related insomnia I have used meditation to help switch my brain off and help me sleep too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same issue @Green lady so I know what you're going through. My GP prescribed Valium as temazapam didn't work. For me I had terrible anxiety about not sleeping which the Valium helped to control. I was anxious about constantly being woken up by DD and not getting enough sleep which made me not be able to fall asleep at all, it was a vicious cycle. A few days of taking Valium helped me to break the cycle. I hope you find something that helps soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same issue @Green lady so I know what you're going through. My GP prescribed Valium as temazapam didn't work. For me I had terrible anxiety about not sleeping which the Valium helped to control. I was anxious about constantly being woken up by DD and not getting enough sleep which made me not be able to fall asleep at all, it was a vicious cycle. A few days of taking Valium helped me to break the cycle. I hope you find something that helps soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What do you do when you can't get to sleep? I give myself 20 minutes of trying to nod off and if I can't I get up, do something then try again. You could be missing your sleep cycle. I would say you are chronically overtired from pregnancy birth and now a newborn.
    Do you sleep during the day?
    You say you've tried lots of things but have you tried exercising, a warm bath, warm drink (non caffeinated), relaxing music.
    Are you worried about bub?
    I used to also get very anxious when I had my first so I had a checklist of things I'd do to make sure everything was fine and I could relax and go to sleep lots of reassuring to myself that no the heater isn't too close to the curtains etc.
    I agree that it can be so debilitating the stress of sleep with a newborn is incredibly hard. It's important to try and work out what it is that is preventing you from sleeping. Anxiety is the biggest thing that comes to mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    ps where did you get the temaz from and why are you self medicating?
    Im not really self medicating - DH is a Doctor!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Green lady For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (15-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for everyone's replies, which are helpful. I'm not sure of the cause of my insomnia - I don't feel anxious ( other than because I can't sleep) and I have a sound and movement monitor in DS's cot so I am not worried about him stopping breathing as I know the alarm will go off. I am wondering whether I might be unconsciously anxious perhaps - just generally relating to DH waiting for something to be wrong with him ( this is due to my age of 43 having him).

I find it impossible to sleep during the day even when he sleeps . Just like at night I lie there unable to sleep.

The only thing I haven't tried is a warm bath before bed. In the last few weeks I no longer lie in bed trying to do relaxation techniques but just get up and go downstairs and do something else. When I feel drowsy I go back up to bed and try to sleep again but as soon as I lie down I'm wide awake again.

I am in that vicious cycle that you speak of furmumma of being anxious about not sleeping and how I will function during the day and be able to look after DS. My DH suggested I try valium - but I'm scared of getting addicted to it, however at this point I will try anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like a mix of chronic overtiredness and stuck in the cycle. It's completely your choice but maybe the Valium would help to reset the cycle. Maybe it would be worth getting your hormone levels checked. It could be another reason. Plus I know you've just had a baby but maybe some kind of pre Menopausal issues?
    Be kind to yourself you've been through so much.. I'm sure your bub is fine try and enjoy it all. X