+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Child care/pre-school/kindy photos

Hi all. A friend of mine does child care photography and is reviewing her pricing and packages. She's asked my opinion on her pricing but in all fairness my kids haven't gone to childcare and it was 6 years ago that my son was in 4yo kinder/pre-school so expectations re. photography may have changed.

I recall that for DS I paid around $40 for a 5x7 album which included a class photo and 10 different individual shots. Then there was an option to get all images (unedited) on USB for an extra $20/$30 maybe. There were of course other packages, that's just what I chose. To me personally, although a much treasured souvenir of DS's kindy days, kindy/school photos are not something I want to spend huge $'s on.

My friends packages/photos are priced a fair bit higher than this but the quality of her work is also very high. She spends so much time editing and ensuring lovely professional photos and parents get to choose from all the edited proofs. She's never had any complaints about quality but has had comments about pricing. There's a fair percentage of families who don't order any photos so wondering if they would if there was a more budget friendly package.

I tried googling to find an average but such a wide range of pricing and product offerings that it's near impossible to compare. Albums don't seem to be a big thing these days? I love DS's little album which is like the one my parent's have of my kindy days!

So for those of you with kids in child care:
    - is child care photography a service you are even interested in?
    - how much are you willing to pay for a photo package and what would you expect for that price? (group shot? single or multiple individual shots? album? different sized prints?)
    - do you prefer a more traditional product with a selection of prints or are you a digital only package type of person?
    - are you happy for the photographer to choose the prints to include or do you want to see all proofs first?
    - are you willing to pay extra for premium quality/editing? Or just happy with basic shots.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    DD1 just had her daycare photos this week. The options started at $25 for 3 different sized Individual prints and up to about $50+ for a few individual prints and a class photo. In all honesty I think the packages are over priced. I'm not particularly interested in buying a million different sized individual prints, an album or digital files. I'd be perfectly happy with one class picture for a reasonable price say around $20. It doesn't matter to me if the pictures are edited, I just want a memento for DD when she's older. I despise having to pay $50 for a whole selection of professional daycare pictures when all I really want is one class picture.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

3littlekittens  (14-05-2017),LittleBug'sMum  (14-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Mama Mirabelle. That's sort of how I feel. Probably even more so for childcare where your child may attend for several years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just paid $45 for a package and that was:
    1 Class
    1 Calendar (Fridge)
    1 8x10
    2 5x7
    3 5x3.5
    2 wallet
    4 bookmarks

It's all just one photo over and over again. I would probably go up to $60 for a set of great photos but not much more and I'm 100% aware that I will never get that for that price (and nor should I).

If I was your friend, I would offer a standard snap and shoot service but include discounts for her kindy families for mini shoots. Class/kindy photos are a memento and something to stick in a frame for grandmas birthday. I dont really need or want them to be a big professional thing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zelda For This Useful Post:

3littlekittens  (14-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sometimes I don't order because they've over edited the photo. Yes my DD looks lovely, but you have changed the colouring which made her have lovely white skin but she actually has red blotchy skin. I want it as she is, not edited

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

3littlekittens  (14-05-2017),BettyV  (15-05-2017),YeahYeahYeah  (14-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For me, all I really want is an individual photo, a sibling photo and a glass/group photo. That applies to both preschool and school kids. I really only need one copy of each as I'm going to scan them (or a digital copy even better) and put them in the yearly photo books I make up anyway. I don't need wallet sized versions and all different frame sized ones. I'd pay up to probably $60-$70 for a pack that had one decent photo of each that I said

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently pain $58 for 4 photos. I think it was way over priced but have never had professional photos taken of my kids. I would have loved an album but it was ridiculously expensive. I just think they have to be reasonably priced. If she needs to charge a large amount for her talent then I suggest she does at home photography instead. I would be more accepting of paying top dollar for professional photos at a studio than at kinder. I know it sounds harsh but I'd rather get a junior photographer who charges less at kinder so I can have more photos.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When DS was at preschool we paid $100 for the most extensive package, which included the digital negatives. It was pretty costly IMO, but the quality of the pictures was great.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't remember what it cost at DD's daycare. Though I think it must've been fairly expensive as I've only got one portrait shot and I think I've got a group shot somewhere here. I just vaguely recall that it wasn't really an option to get several prints due to the price.
    Kind of annoying actually. It would've been good to at least have a cheaper option.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're not there yet, but it reminds me of xmas photo packages.

Personally, I just want a digital file. Printed pics have no relevance to us anymore (sadly). And they wouldn't have the same longevity as a digital file in this increasingly techy world.

Also, I wouldn't want much editing. Adjusting lighting or colours, fine. But editing the kids, no!