+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    Urghh...The hardest year of my DS2 life (so far!) was 3.5-4.5...honestly the child near killed me with his behavior and tantrums. Only thing that really helped was being very very consistent...and time...tough year...
    Thanks! I really hope it starts to improve soon he's killing me slowly at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    Maybe he is just adopting the behavior from others. My DD is very notorious, and i see change in behavior in the initial month of daycare, but she is now doing good again. She is happy with the kids of her age and hope things will change for you as well
    Ds behaviour did really improve for awhile, when he first started he struggled a bit but this year especially he changed and was doing so well. The last few weeks it's taken a turn and I barely recognise him. I guess the age group he's around does make a difference.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Bane  (19-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2be4 View Post
    Personally I think it's his age my dd has just come out the other side of traumatic threes. It was awful! I would give it a time frame 6-8 weeks or so and reassess you may find he settles down a lot on his own. While I agree it's good to have children his own age I also think it's great to have a mix. Help associate where he fits in to a different dynamic etc. but I think this needs to be strongly guided by his caregivers so yes I think it's worth a chat with them about strategies ie them explaining why other children behave the way they do because of their age etc.

The best thing that worked with my dd at this stage was getting down to her level and asking her to do something in a short simple way and then asking her to repeat back to me. Also we created a "safe space" where she could go and chill out when she was having a meltdown. Good luck'
    Thanks! I think you are right. I can reassess how he is going in 6-8 weeks and make a decision. I do think having a mixed group has been good - he's learnt how to be gentle around babies and has a lot of confidence playing with older kids. The 'baby behaviour' has bothered me and I'm not sure if I am looking for something to blame and explain it? I will chat to daycare (hopefully tomorrow but may be next week now)

Thanks! I will offer him a safe place to chill out and see if it helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    I don't have advice regarding whether you should switch daycare centres but I just wanted to add that my DD1 also had a huge change in behavior at 3. She was quite well behaved prior to that and I thought oh the terrible twos aren't that bad and then at 3 she just went nuts and really regressed. Massive tantrums, defiant behavior, picky eating, refusal to sleep etc. 3-4 was the worst year yet. Now she's almost 4.5 and I think she's just starting to come out of it and return to her old mostly easy going temperament. So it could be age related.
    Thanks! I think I may be looking at a mixture of things maybe? The behaviour shown by the babies (which I mean yeah they are babies lol) and his age. I am happy to see it's not just me going through this. I'm glad your dd has started to see the end of it! It's so draining

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Probably just his age hon.

All of my kids have been at their most difficult between the ages of 3-4.5ish. I've never understood the whole terrible two's thing, because Threenages are SOOOO much harder in my experience!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloom Bloom View Post
    I feel for you it's like one step forward two steps back! As others have said 3 really does seem to be a difficult age. I think my DS was difficult from around 3 to 4 and yes it was with everything

Definitely have a chat with daycare they may be able to suggest some strategies to help and it's always good to try to have some consistency between how they handle difficult behaviour and how it is handled at home.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you get through this phase quickly!!
    That's exactly it! It's just so back and forth and yep the struggle with absolutely everything! I'm exhausted already.
    I will have a chat with them and see what they think. You are right, consistency is key. I need to see what they are doing and if he is even showing the same behaviour.

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Probably just his age hon.

All of my kids have been at their most difficult between the ages of 3-4.5ish. I've never understood the whole terrible two's thing, because Threenages are SOOOO much harder in my experience!
    Thank you! I was hoping there may have been an explanation but the more I look at it I it seems age is the main culprit.
    I really did think terrible twos were suppose to be a nightmare. Ds was a monster the day he turned 2. Literally that day. Now it seems that was a walk in the park. He's wild now. I want to rip my hair out. It is good seeing it's not just me having a hard time at 3 though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    Seeing as he is 3, I wouldn't think that it is only because he is modelling the behaviour of the younger kids. The terrible two's come with a title, but three's a not a whole lot better, it's quite possibly worse, they're better equipped, and they're going to negotiate with whatever tools they have, and they will push boundaries to see how things work to get what they want.
    So have a chat with the centre, I wouldn't be so fast to move him him if your otherwise satisfied with them though.
    Good advice!

We refer to the 3's as threenagers!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Baby Girl For This Useful Post:

sparklebug  (18-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A little update... ds has not improved. If anything his behaviour is worse. I am struggling to handle him.

Daycare were great. I spoke with his main carer. She has said his behaviour has changed a bit but he is also having really good times, another child was scared to come because ds hit him ☹️ but his carer is a wonderful person who was really nice and willing to help with observations and anything we needed to help.

Our doctor has been great. She is on our side. We are doing an eye test, hearing test and blood test and then being referred to a paediatrician. Our doctor was honest and said she believes he may have ADHD and/or sensory processing disorder. I'm feeling like a failure because I've been so upset and angry with him and there's quite possibly something not quite right.
    We can't get his hearing test done for awhile so we have to wait but I'm just trying to take each day as we go.

Thank you for everyone's advice on this thread. The next stage is beginning now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Hasselhoff you're doing a great job by picking up on the fact something may be up, he is still so little giving you lots of options for early intervention if it ends up being something he needs, cut yourself some slack, we could all use a little more patience at times. Just take it a day at a time.
    Good luck!