+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloom Bloom View Post
    My DS also got really naughty at around three, it was such a change as he was really good previously so much so I still don't believe in the terrible twos!! He was at daycare as well but they seperated the children by age so no modelling of younger ones behaviour.

The good thing is it didn't last and he came good again but three was absolutely a hard age
    Ah crap. Maybe it is his age being the main problem. We really thought we were getting on top of it. He has turned into a child I can't stand lately. He's so hard to deal with. How long was your ds like this? Was he like it when it came to absolutely everything? Hopefully daycare can help a bit when I talk to them.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DD had to switch centres when she was 3.5, and she went from a 3-5 room to a mixed room, where 2 days a week (she only goes 3 days) she was only with kids 2 and under. It made a huge difference to her behaviour and well being. She hated it passionately. I think a lot of kids benefit more being with their own age and older kids rather than all younger kids. One thing the centre did that helped somewhat was to turn her into their 'helper' on those days. They would make a big deal about what a big girl she was and said 'oh thank goodness you're here to help us with the babies!' And get her to fetch dummies, help settle younger children at rest time, etc. She has moved up to the kinder this year and is flourishing, so I wouldn't discount him being with younger kids as being a factor at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How often does he go?

I'm another one who found 3 to be a lot worse than 2. Dd1 had never had a public tantrum, in fact really ever tantrumed at 2, but 3 years old was a world of pain.

I think you'll find at centres though he'll be in the preschool room so whilst he'd be one of the youngest next year he'd be one of the oldest again- it's not something you can necessarily avoid. Plus even though they are technically in seperate rooms they still share common outside areas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Urghh...The hardest year of my DS2 life (so far!) was 3.5-4.5...honestly the child near killed me with his behavior and tantrums. Only thing that really helped was being very very consistent...and time...tough year...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe he is just adopting the behavior from others. My DD is very notorious, and i see change in behavior in the initial month of daycare, but she is now doing good again. She is happy with the kids of her age and hope things will change for you as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I think it's his age my dd has just come out the other side of traumatic threes. It was awful! I would give it a time frame 6-8 weeks or so and reassess you may find he settles down a lot on his own. While I agree it's good to have children his own age I also think it's great to have a mix. Help associate where he fits in to a different dynamic etc. but I think this needs to be strongly guided by his caregivers so yes I think it's worth a chat with them about strategies ie them explaining why other children behave the way they do because of their age etc.

The best thing that worked with my dd at this stage was getting down to her level and asking her to do something in a short simple way and then asking her to repeat back to me. Also we created a "safe space" where she could go and chill out when she was having a meltdown. Good luck'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I don't have advice regarding whether you should switch daycare centres but I just wanted to add that my DD1 also had a huge change in behavior at 3. She was quite well behaved prior to that and I thought oh the terrible twos aren't that bad and then at 3 she just went nuts and really regressed. Massive tantrums, defiant behavior, picky eating, refusal to sleep etc. 3-4 was the worst year yet. Now she's almost 4.5 and I think she's just starting to come out of it and return to her old mostly easy going temperament. So it could be age related.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Ah crap. Maybe it is his age being the main problem. We really thought we were getting on top of it. He has turned into a child I can't stand lately. He's so hard to deal with. How long was your ds like this? Was he like it when it came to absolutely everything? Hopefully daycare can help a bit when I talk to them.
    I feel for you it's like one step forward two steps back! As others have said 3 really does seem to be a difficult age. I think my DS was difficult from around 3 to 4 and yes it was with everything 😳

Definitely have a chat with daycare they may be able to suggest some strategies to help and it's always good to try to have some consistency between how they handle difficult behaviour and how it is handled at home.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you get through this phase quickly!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    My DD had to switch centres when she was 3.5, and she went from a 3-5 room to a mixed room, where 2 days a week (she only goes 3 days) she was only with kids 2 and under. It made a huge difference to her behaviour and well being. She hated it passionately. I think a lot of kids benefit more being with their own age and older kids rather than all younger kids. One thing the centre did that helped somewhat was to turn her into their 'helper' on those days. They would make a big deal about what a big girl she was and said 'oh thank goodness you're here to help us with the babies!' And get her to fetch dummies, help settle younger children at rest time, etc. She has moved up to the kinder this year and is flourishing, so I wouldn't discount him being with younger kids as being a factor at all.
    I could ask about giving him jobs to help out with the babies. That's a good idea. I don't know if he would really care about helping them but it may be a good start! Thanks for your reply x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    How often does he go?

I'm another one who found 3 to be a lot worse than 2. Dd1 had never had a public tantrum, in fact really ever tantrumed at 2, but 3 years old was a world of pain.

I think you'll find at centres though he'll be in the preschool room so whilst he'd be one of the youngest next year he'd be one of the oldest again- it's not something you can necessarily avoid. Plus even though they are technically in seperate rooms they still share common outside areas.
    He's going 2 days a week.
    We have been stuck with tantrums from 2 and 3 seems to be so much worse lol. I am happy to read it's not just us having a hard time with a threenager though lol.

Yeah, good point. I didn't really think about it in that way. Unfortunately haven't been able to speak with daycare today as ds is home sick. I guess it can't hurt to stick it out a bit longer and see if it improves.
    Thanks