+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you think this makes a difference?

Ds has been attending a small daycare (I can't remember off the top of my head but I think it was a max of 20 kids.) it's an old house converted into a daycare - all ages are together. Originally I was concerned about this as ds was little and the older kids were always around (possible to get hurt) a couple of months after he started I settled and haven't been worried since.

Lately ds has had a dramatic change of behaviour. Full blown tantrums, fake crying when told off (really over the top though) sleeptime has become a nightmare - yesterday was so bad I had a meltdown and had my mum collect him. I couldn't handle him. He is always asking us to carry him. There's so much more but this is just what is coming to mind.

Last year daycare had a lot of 'older kids' headed off to school at the start of this year, so of course the new children starting become a lot younger. Do you think that the younger children could be contributing to his behaviour? I'm not saying that they are the reason but is it possible he's mimicking what they do because it works at daycare? It doesn't work at home so he has a meltdown?
    His 2 friends he always played with have changed days so he's starting to play with some younger kids but not too much younger (this isn't the end of the world though)

I will be talking with daycare on Monday when I drop him off but I mean what can they do? Would you consider sending him to a different daycare that offer seperate age groups, so he is with kids his age and learning from them? Where we live we don't have a lot of options but I'm starting to wonder if this may be better for him? I'm not sure if I'm overreacting because of how awful he's been lately.

Any opinions would be wonderful.

X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How old is he?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    How old is he?
    Sorry that might be helpful lol he is 3. Has been going to the same daycare for about a year and a half. Actually maybe nearly 2 years lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Seeing as he is 3, I wouldn't think that it is only because he is modelling the behaviour of the younger kids. The terrible two's come with a title, but three's a not a whole lot better, it's quite possibly worse, they're better equipped, and they're going to negotiate with whatever tools they have, and they will push boundaries to see how things work to get what they want.
    So have a chat with the centre, I wouldn't be so fast to move him him if your otherwise satisfied with them though.
    Last edited by sparklebug; 13-05-2017 at 19:24. Reason: Spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe - how does he behave there?

My DS's behaviour deteriorated at 3yo. He had tantrums all the time. Kicking. Screaming. Hitting. And he is normally a gentle kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    Seeing as he is 3, I wouldn't think that it is only because he is modelling the behaviour of the younger kids. The terrible two's come with a title, but three's a not a whole lot better, it's quite possibly worse, they're better equipped, and they're going to negotiate with whatever tools they have, and they will push boundaries to see how things work to get what they want.
    So have a chat with the centre, I wouldn't be so fast to move him him if your otherwise satisfied with them though.
    I did think that. He's never been amazing with his behaviour but we are doing 1,2,3 magic and he has been responding to that perfectly and was starting to be easier to handle. Now it's like we never started it, he has taken about 20 steps backwards. It is quite possible that it is just his age and he is going through a phase (I this is the case I might scream lol) we just aren't really sure if the younger age at daycare has made him take a step back.
    We are somewhat satisfied with them. There are some things we don't like and think could change but I also don't think they are all that bad in the grand scheme of things. I will chat with them Monday thanks!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

sparklebug  (13-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally think he is better off with kids hid own age or older.

He sounds like he is behaving like the younger kids because they get held and are getting more attention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Maybe - how does he behave there?

My DS's behaviour deteriorated at 3yo. He had tantrums all the time. Kicking. Screaming. Hitting. And he is normally a gentle kid.
    They say he is improving. Honestly their communication is lacking (or at least in my opinion it is) he does have his tantrums but they are usually associated with changing from one thing to another when he doesn't want to. I haven't really spoken in depth about the behaviour and they haven't mentioned much so I think a chat is my best option first. I'm just not sure if I might be overreacting thinking about moving him. They may possibly know I would be considering moving him because I've thought about taking him out ages ago and may not want to tell me if it's really bad but that's also a massive assumption.

I would consider it to be an age thing as well. It wouldn't surprise me. He has always been rough and ignorant but this is a whole new level and it's killing me lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Baby View Post
    I personally think he is better off with kids hid own age or older.

He sounds like he is behaving like the younger kids because they get held and are getting more attention.
    That's what I was thinking. The behaviour just reminds me of the younger kids so much but I'm not sure if I am just looking for 'something to blame' it's doing my head in that's for sure lol.
    Last year was so different. He was coming along in leaps and bounds but now it's a massive step backwards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS also got really naughty at around three, it was such a change as he was really good previously so much so I still don't believe in the terrible twos!! He was at daycare as well but they seperated the children by age so no modelling of younger ones behaviour.

The good thing is it didn't last and he came good again but three was absolutely a hard age 😊