+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Research request from Bond University researchers

Hi there :-)

My name is Amy Bannatyne. I am a Clinical Psychologist and final year PhD Candidate at Bond University on the Gold Coast.

I am seeking women who are currently pregnant to participate in an online survey for the final stage of my PhD. The main aim of this study is to test a new pregnancy-specific screening instrument designed to measure women's eating-related behaviours, attitudes, and thoughts during pregnancy.

Participation in the study should take approximately 20 to 25 minutes and can be completed on a computer, smartphone, or tablet device.

As a gesture of our appreciation, all participants will have the opportunity to enter a draw to win 1 of 20 available Coles gift vouchers worth $50 each.

If you are willing to participate, the link to the study is: https://bond.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/f...XcGc2xHmUr3kQl

If you would like further information, please do not hesitate to contact me at abannaty@bond.edu.au

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Kind regards,
    Amy

*Note - this study has been approved by the Bond University Human Research Ethics (protocol number: 0000015964)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amybannatyne For This Useful Post:

Mary17  (13-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amybannatyne View Post
    Hi there :-)

My name is Amy Bannatyne. I am a Clinical Psychologist and final year PhD Candidate at Bond University on the Gold Coast.

I am seeking women who are currently pregnant to participate in an online survey for the final stage of my PhD. The main aim of this study is to test a new pregnancy-specific screening instrument designed to measure women's eating-related behaviours, attitudes, and thoughts during pregnancy.

Participation in the study should take approximately 20 to 25 minutes and can be completed on a computer, smartphone, or tablet device.

As a gesture of our appreciation, all participants will have the opportunity to enter a draw to win 1 of 20 available Coles gift vouchers worth $50 each.

If you are willing to participate, the link to the study is: https://bond.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/f...XcGc2xHmUr3kQl

If you would like further information, please do not hesitate to contact me at abannaty@bond.edu.au

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Kind regards,
    Amy

*Note - this study has been approved by the Bond University Human Research Ethics (protocol number: 0000015964)
    Would love to hear more about your research!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary17 View Post
    Would love to hear more about your research!

Hi Mary17,

It's lovely to meet you!

Thank you for your interest in the project :-)

As a brief summary, my PhD had two main goals:

1) to develop a clear understanding/definition of what disordered eating in pregnancy looks like and how this differs from pregnancy-appropriate abnormal eating behaviours given pregnancy itself can be characterised by some changes in dietary preferences, appetite fluctuations, food cravings, emotional fluctuations, lethargy, etc; and

2) to use the information gathered above to then develop a pregnancy-specific screening tool that can (hopefully) be used in antenatal care to start a conversation between a women and her midwife/GP/obstetrician about these concerns and then increase the likelihood of a women receiving appropriate support during this time.

It is currently estimated that about 1 in 20 women experience disordered eating in pregnancy, but researchers suggest this is an underestimation as many women experiencing such symptoms may be afraid to disclose these symptoms to their midwife/GP/obstetrician due to fear of stigma. Some women may also be unaware their symptoms are cause for concern.

We also know from research that antenatal care providers find it challenging to identify disordered eating behaviours as pregnancy can mask symptoms of disordered eating, and it is often difficult to discuss such symptoms with women when appointments are short. Routine screening might be helpful in this situation. However, all of the screening instruments for identifying disordered eating that currently exist were developed for use in a non-pregnant context. As such, they may not be appropriate for use in pregnancy.

Our aim was to fill this gap by developing a pregnancy-specific screening instrument for identifying disordered eating in pregnancy. This does not mean that a positive screen on the instrument diagnoses a woman with disordered eating, it just flags when further discussion between a woman and her midwife/GO/obstetrician is needed.

We have now developed the screening instrument, and this study is testing it to see if it works :-) Participants do not need to have any concerns with their eating to participate, as we also need to see that it doesn’t incorrectly identify women too. If the tool is found to be successful, we hope that down the track it might be used in a similar way to the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale, which all women complete during pregnancy to screen for symptoms of antenatal depression.

Hopefully that gives you some more information - if you would like any further details, please feel free to email me at abannaty@bond.edu.au.

Happy Mother's Day too!

Kind regards,
    Amy
    Last edited by amybannatyne; 14-05-2017 at 08:59. Reason: Formatting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your detailed reply Amy. It sounds like your research will contribute greatly to this field. If I was pregnant, I would have participated!

Does the disordered eating tend to manifest as over-eating or under-eating, generally? Or obsession about what foods are being consumed?...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you Mary - we hope so!

It seems the experience is far more common than has previously been assumed. For so long, pregnancy was considered a reprieve from eating-related and body image difficulties. For some women, that's definitely true; however, for others pregnancy can exacerbate existing or previous difficulties, or even trigger such difficulties. It would be great if discussing those concerns was a normal part of antenatal care.

In terms of how disordered eating manifests, it can be a spectrum of symptoms - behavioural, physical, psychological (thoughts) and affective (emotions). This could include under-eating, over-eating (namely binge eating), restrictive or selective eating, self-induced vomiting, excessive exercise, body image disturbance, distress regarding changing shape, etc (to name a few - there are many other symptoms).

As I mentioned in my previous post, often women experience changes to their appetite, dietary preferences, energy levels, and emotions by virtue of pregnancy alone. Identifying when a symptom or set of behaviours is problematic can be quite difficult. From our research so far we have developed some indicators (e.g., how often the behaviour occurs, what impact it is having on the woman psychologically/physically/socially/emotionally) that antenatal practitioners can use to distinguish when a symptom is pregnancy appropriate or indicative of disordered eating.

For some women, the symptoms can be quite mild. For others, the symptoms can be quite severe. However, whether symptoms are mild, moderate or severe, additional support may be beneficial.

I hope that answers your question?

Kind regards,
    Amy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amybannatyne For This Useful Post:

Mary17  (15-05-2017)