+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Omg congrats Hun! Did I miss this or did I just forget due to sleep deprivision? Lol.

My DD2 has only ever had 1 side per feed. She was falling asleep every feed as she had tongue and lip ties.
    Haha thanks Mamasupial. My little girl was born on the 18/03. Weighing a cracking 9Ib! Lol
    I was 40 +6.
    I still can't believe I am a mum. After so long trying.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to twentysomething For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (14-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    OP, I think you'll find that the main reason bubby is feeding so frequently during the day is because she's sleeping so well at night. If she is having a 7hr stretch with the occasional 1 wake up, then she will be hungrier through the day. Most babies will typically feed 6-12 times a day. Sometimes they're evenly spaced, sometimes they're not. There are all sorts of reasons babies will want to feed all the time. To be honest, I don't think there is a problem with this at all. Except of course your exhaustion. I would maybe consider wearing baby during the day to see if that helps. You may find though that if she's not feeding as much during the day that she starts waking up more overnight.

Also, find a child health nurse whose values align with yours. Telling a new mum that her baby *should* be feeding 3-4hrly is helpful to no one and will only cause more stress, anxiety and worry when in fact your baby is actually doing normal things.
    Thanks @M'LadyEm. Yeah I was never really worried untill the CHN said that she should be feeding 3 hourly. I was so upset after seeing her I spent the day crying I was so distressed.
    I just feel abit lost as the lactation consultant also gave me good advice. Which I am trying to implement but even this doesn't seem to work every time. Any way sounds like my bub is normal. And I think the exhaustion is normal I think comes with the territory of a new mum.
    She is bright and happy and gaining weight so not worried about her being under fed.

Lady Em, did i read you are a midwife?
    I am considering a change of profession and was thinking of during midwifery. Could I pm you for advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes I am, and yes you can

Just try and enjoy your little one as much as you can. I think one of the best pieces of advice I can give to any new mum is that you will hear so many opinions on what you should/shouldn't be doing. Say thanks, make a mental note of what they've said and then you can choose to either apply it to your situation or ignore it completely. If your baby is happy, healthy, gaining weight and meeting milestones then you are clearly doing everything right by you and your baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP all of my friends breastfed and it's normal to feed 2-3 hourly! I will go as far to say it's abnormal for a BF baby to feed 3-4 hourly!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (13-05-2017),Renn  (13-05-2017),tessa27  (13-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OP my DS fed at least every 1-2 hours for months through the day. Night it sometimes stretched to 3 or maybe 4 hours. Mostly it was 2 though.

For him it was his normal. He was otherwise happy, gaining weight. Hitting milestones. He just constantly fed and was a terrible sleeper.

I sat a lot on a rocking chair in the day - do you have somewhere comfortable to sit? Or feed while laying down?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    M'LadyEm and all the other hubbers have given you great advice.
    Babies need a certain amount of calories in a 24 hour period. If bub is sleeping well overnight so not feeding much then they'll definitely need to be making up for it during the day. I also agree that specific times for feeding is a really outdated approach - feeding on demand is a great approach. It means you are responsive to your baby rather than a clock and is great for maintaining supply. Remember babies get all of their food and drink from BF so it can be a mixture of hunger and thirst (and comfort ). At only 8 weeks old it's not the time for stretching feeds. If she was 8 months old I'd think differently! So you're doing exactly what your baby needs which is awesome. I wouldn't be adding formula feeds in. Just my personal opinion.
    Regarding the sleeping, 45 minutes isn't too bad (hate to say it ). My dd was a catnapper, I think it is really common. I did everything you could possibly think of (including paying $200 for a sleep consultant to come out, white noise/no noise/living room/bedroom, tight swaddling/no swaddling/arms up/arms down/arms out, dark room/natural light, patting/shushing, waiting for tired signs/going by clock, going in before she would wake up etc etc) and I do believe the only thing that actually worked was time. When she hit about 5 months her day sleeping naturally improved to 2 1.5-2 hour naps and a shorter late afternoon nap. It wasn't until about 7 months though that we really got into a 'routine' of specific nap times and feeds. Before then she never fit into things like eat, play, sleep or designated times for eating and sleeping. But from about 8 months she became like a clock and at almost 2 she still is!
    You might find this info useful about wake times and sleeping and tired signs: http://www.ngala.com.au/files/files/...p_A4_2012b.pdf
    I know it's hard and exhausting. I found those first six months really difficult. Hang in there because it does get easier. Once you're past those first few months things become a bit more predictable and bub will be physically attached to you for less time which I know is huge psychologically. My dd fed 2 hourly during the day for months and never being able to get away from her was exhausting! It'll get better

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (13-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds totally, totally normal. The biological norm is for bub to be attached to mum pretty much all day every day. It can be exhausting, especially getting used to it as a first time mum, but it won't last forever.

Please, for the love of God ignore your MCHN - that's terrible advice. Breastfed babies feed whenever they want. It depends on mum's storage capacity, bub's drinking efficacy, bub's temperament, bub's growth and so many other things. Feeding regularly does NOT mean there's anything wrong, and attempting to stretch out feeds could lead to under feeding. Not to mention the stress of trying to make a baby fit a schedule... Believe me, I've been there. It's so hard when you're being told that bub 'should' do X, Y and Z, but honestly, most of it is nonsense. If bub's sleeping a 7 hour stretch at night and growing, you're doing great!

I'd also highly recommend reading http://www.emmapickettbreastfeedings...rval-obsession

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (13-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, you sound like you have a great attitude about it all. Go you!

I was completely bamboozled by my first. So many conflicting opinions and differing advice. It doesn't make it any easier.

Baby wearing may be your savior. Baby is where they want to be & your hands free

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twentysomething View Post
    Haha thanks Mamasupial. My little girl was born on the 18/03. Weighing a cracking 9Ib! Lol
    I was 40 +6.
    I still can't believe I am a mum. After so long trying.
    Oh lovely! My DD1 was 41w and 8lb8.
    I'm so happy for You!!!