+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm the only one in the house who gets it. I don't really want to get it personally but I work in healthcare so have to.
    I got it on Thursday and my arm is still sore 2 days later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Flu vax for kids?

Yes my DD (5yo) gets the flu vaxx, as do I every year. She was diagnosed with cancer in 2015, went through treatment and finished that about a year ago. It was recommended that she have the flu vaxx since all that so as of last year she will get it every year too, with me.
    With her history, if we can avoid her getting that sick it is a good thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    I tried to get my lot vaccinated this year (6, 4 and 2) and the clinic absolutely refused to do it and said they only give the flu vax to children over 12!!! I'm in Melbourne. Are they allowed to refuse to vaccinate my kids? I left feeling pretty annoyed.
    Rubbish. DD and I had free flu vaxxes done at Monash Medical Centre in Clayton. Go to a different doctor.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

GingerKat  (13-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    It's different in SA. My doctors clinic keeps 5 government only flu vaccines for kids 3yrs & under that have a higher risk of catching it ie that have asthma or a heart disorders or are wards of the state so they get first priority. If your paying for them as a private patient like i do (ds2 10months) you need to source one from a chemist now which is getting really hard as the supplier has no stock left. I rang close to 20 chemists to find it.
    What about the free immunisation clinic for kids? At child health centres usually. Our area has them in different locations 3 days a week so we can usually get to one within a fortnight in a 15 minute drive.
    ETA: only under 5 get it free

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    What about the free immunisation clinic for kids? At child health centres usually. Our area has them in different locations 3 days a week so we can usually get to one within a fortnight in a 15 minute drive.
    ETA: only under 5 get it free
    This doesn't count as immunisation as it's not the prescribed list so to speak. Only people that get it free are those with a diagnosed health conditon. It doesn't cost much so I'm not really worried

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Think i will make an appointment with DS's GP to discuss with her again. Sounds like a good idea.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    This doesn't count as immunisation as it's not the prescribed list so to speak. Only people that get it free are those with a diagnosed health conditon. It doesn't cost much so I'm not really worried
    I've got DD booked in at the free clinic next week. They said all under 5's are eligible for free influenza vaccine.
    ETA: mum is a MCHN nurse and she does all under 5's free (rural area so no designated immunisation clinic, you just go to the nurse)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    I've got DD booked in at the free clinic next week. They said all under 5's are eligible for free influenza vaccine.
    ETA: mum is a MCHN nurse and she does all under 5's free (rural area so no designated immunisation clinic, you just go to the nurse)
    Definitely not like that here. It's obviously different for varying states & locations

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    I tried to get my lot vaccinated this year (6, 4 and 2) and the clinic absolutely refused to do it and said they only give the flu vax to children over 12!!! I'm in Melbourne. Are they allowed to refuse to vaccinate my kids? I left feeling pretty annoyed.
    That's really odd...I'd be annoyed too. There's no reason children under 12 can't have flu vax. Maybe they are talking about the flu vax brand that's not recommended for children? But the correct vaccine should be available...strange...