+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DynamiteandaLazerBeam View Post
    MY GP wasn't keen to give it to young kids - I did ask but he said it wasn't sufficiently researched in the preschool age group.
    Until recently this was the case. More recent research shows that in fact flu vax is likely to be just as beneficial to preschoolers as older kids and adults.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

DynamiteandaLazerBeam  (14-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Kaybaby flu vaccine is not free here for kids under 5 ( Canberra). Only free if you are in a high risk category like asthmatic or pregnant. It cost $16 each which I think was worth it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Deskar For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (13-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Deskar View Post
    @Kaybaby flu vaccine is not free here for kids under 5 ( Canberra). Only free if you are in a high risk category like asthmatic or pregnant. It cost $16 each which I think was worth it.
    Interesting, thanks! I had always just presumed it was part of the National Immunisation program...but turns out flu vax for kids under 5 is a WA state funded program! Thanks WA govt haha!

If anyone wants to read the full info on Influenza vaccine here is a link. There is specific info about children under 5

http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/in...ok10-4-7#4-7-7

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No one in my family gets the flu shot. It's not recommended for 2 of my kids due to their medical history.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's recommended for kids 2 and up over here in the U.K., we get a reminder in the mail at the beginning of the flu season to bring them in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nephew had his flu vax this week, he is 4. This is the first year he has had it. He was telling me he was very brave and got it so he doesn't make his baby cousin sick.

He got the flu last year and was incredibly sick, hospitalised for over a week. It was so so scary. I think @Kaybaby hit the nail on the head about the flu vax not protecting all strains or the common cold. So many people complain about having the flu when they don't. The flu is horrible, it kills people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    Hi ☺
    The Govt supplies free flu vaccine for children under 5. There is a very good reason for doing this - kids under 5 have the highest number of hospitalisations and notifications from influenza! Due to under developed immune and respiratory systems there is a higher likelihood of complications from flu. So yes, it is recommended.

I think people need to remember the protection of flu vax is relatively limited. It covers 2 x A Strain (think bird/swine flu) flus and 2 x B stain flus. Each yr the vaccine is developed based on the Northern hemisphere flu season to try to protect against the most prevalent and hardest hitting strains. These are the flus that lay you up for a week...you are really really sick! It's not a little cough or cold...

A few myths - you can not get the flu from the vaccine! You can still catch other flu and cold viruses, the idea is to prevent the really nasty ones! Having a flu vaccine does NOT stop your natural immunity, in fact it helps it.

And yep, my 3 kids and I have a flu vax every year...
    I tried to get my lot vaccinated this year (6, 4 and 2) and the clinic absolutely refused to do it and said they only give the flu vax to children over 12!!! I'm in Melbourne. Are they allowed to refuse to vaccinate my kids? I left feeling pretty annoyed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I got mine done today and DH and DS2 (age 3.5) are getting theirs next week. DS1 is 5.5yrs old and I haven't had a chance to get him booked in. It's hard with him being at school. I don't think there's any risk with the vaccinations, they don't inject live viruses into you, and as far as I know (although I haven't done any extensive research), there's no more or less risk than any other vaccination that is given.

I do wonder though - since none of us have had the flu vax before, do we need 2 doses the first time around for it to be effective? I read somewhere that you do, but this seems so inconvenient!
    Kids the first time they have it yes they need to have it 2 times a month apart. I can't remember if I ever did though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    Hi ☺
    The Govt supplies free flu vaccine for children under 5. ...
    It's different in SA. My doctors clinic keeps 5 government only flu vaccines for kids 3yrs & under that have a higher risk of catching it ie that have asthma or a heart disorders or are wards of the state so they get first priority. If your paying for them as a private patient like i do (ds2 10months) you need to source one from a chemist now which is getting really hard as the supplier has no stock left. I rang close to 20 chemists to find it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flu vax for kids?

Yes my DS2 (4.5) and DS3 (9 months) have had it. DS3 needed two doses as it was his first time. We are in ACT I had to pay for DS3 ($25 each dose). DS2 was bulk billed as he has asthma. My understanding is if your child (or an adult) has one of several chronic health conditions then it's free (plus the if your pregnant etc...) Otherwise it's private and you have pay.

Edit - DH and I also have it every year. Dh gets its free through his work mine was $25

13. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (13-05-2017)