+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Flu vax for kids?

Have you got, or do you plan to get, the flu vax for your kids?

I saw an article today that said 1 in 3 parents are not getting the flu vax for their kids.
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...r-kids/8522150

I didn't think flu vax was really recommended for young kids? My DS is 2.5, generally healthy, and otherwise fully vaccinated. Last time we asked his GP about it (probably last year) she said she didn't recommend it for little kids, and i haven't thought more about it since, until seeing the article today.

Have you got the flu vax for your little ones?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Kaybaby, was it you who works in the area? Can you shed any light as to whether it's generally recommended for little kids?
    Last edited by JustJaq; 12-05-2017 at 20:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, we will be getting our 7 and 4 year olds a flu shot. They've both had it for the last 3 years I think.

ETA I think some brands aren't recommended for kids under 5, but others are okay

Thanks
    Reviews
    MY GP wasn't keen to give it to young kids - I did ask but he said it wasn't sufficiently researched in the preschool age group.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    DD1 has had it 3 years in a row and DD2 got it this year too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is getting hers next week. DS gets a mouth rash from egg so we're not getting him done this year and will reassess next year once we know where we stand with egg for him.
    DH and I have already had ours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS has had it this year and last year. He is 19months old. He goes to daycare 3 days a week and my GP recommended it. He's had no issues... DH and I also get vaccinated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dp had his a month ago
    I was like week
    DS1 was yesterday
    Ds2 was today.

For infants 3 and younger it's really hard to track them down well in SA it is. The supplier is completely out of stock

I'm not risking for a what if for anyone in my family. In 2012 I forgot to get myself and DS1 done and we both caught it, same week we where so sick he missed his first week of school because of it

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flu vax for kids?

I got mine done today and DH and DS2 (age 3.5) are getting theirs next week. DS1 is 5.5yrs old and I haven't had a chance to get him booked in. It's hard with him being at school. I don't think there's any risk with the vaccinations, they don't inject live viruses into you, and as far as I know (although I haven't done any extensive research), there's no more or less risk than any other vaccination that is given.

I do wonder though - since none of us have had the flu vax before, do we need 2 doses the first time around for it to be effective? I read somewhere that you do, but this seems so inconvenient!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    @Kaybaby, was it you who works in the area? Can you shed any light as to whether it's generally recommended for little kids?
    Hi ☺
    The Govt supplies free flu vaccine for children under 5. There is a very good reason for doing this - kids under 5 have the highest number of hospitalisations and notifications from influenza! Due to under developed immune and respiratory systems there is a higher likelihood of complications from flu. So yes, it is recommended.

I think people need to remember the protection of flu vax is relatively limited. It covers 2 x A Strain (think bird/swine flu) flus and 2 x B stain flus. Each yr the vaccine is developed based on the Northern hemisphere flu season to try to protect against the most prevalent and hardest hitting strains. These are the flus that lay you up for a week...you are really really sick! It's not a little cough or cold...

A few myths - you can not get the flu from the vaccine! You can still catch other flu and cold viruses, the idea is to prevent the really nasty ones! Having a flu vaccine does NOT stop your natural immunity, in fact it helps it.

And yep, my 3 kids and I have a flu vax every year...

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (13-05-2017),JustJaq  (13-05-2017),Mum-I-Am  (13-05-2017),rosey82  (13-05-2017),smallpotatoes  (13-05-2017)