View Poll Results: Which most describes your circumstances?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • I suffered a traumatic birth, and I was s exually abused growing up

10 9.17%
  • I suffered a traumatic birth, and I was physically abused growing up

7 6.42%
  • I suffered a traumatic birth, and I was mentally/emotionally abused growing up

12 11.01%
  • I suffered a traumatic birth, and I was s exually abused as an adult

4 3.67%
  • I suffered a traumatic birth, and I was physically abused as an adult

3 2.75%
  • I suffered a traumatic birth, and I was mentally/emotionally abused as an adult

9 8.26%
  • I suffered a traumatic birth, and my mother had a traumatic birth having me

9 8.26%
  • I suffered a traumatic birth, have never experienced anything you describe

28 25.69%
  • I didnt have a traumatic birth, and I have experienced 1 or more of the above abuses/traumas

24 22.02%
  • I didnt have a traumatic birth, and I have never experienced any of the above abuses/traumas

27 24.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Prone to Birth Trauma?

It has been suggested to me that women who have experienced birth trauma have a history of some form of abuse etc.

I just wanted to start a poll to see if that is a reflection of the truth, or is just a myth.

The poll is anonymous, so dont feel afraid that you might expose something you wish to keep private, but if you do want to share your experiences, by all means please do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Good idea Becca, I just voted. It will be interesting to see the results.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a traumatic birth, and was physically abused growing up - there's no way the two were related in my case.

I was given pethidine less than 30 minutes before baby was born. i was told that I had "at least four more hours of this", and that what I was experiencing was "nothing yet", when i was actually in transition. Not surprisingly, baby needed rescusitation.

I had an adverse reaction to the pethidine which bordered on a psychotic episode. I didn't feel right afterwards for goodness knows how long, and I was completely emotionally detached from everyone pretty much straight away. Over coming days, i sank into a deep suicidal depression which it took me YEARS to fully recover from.

The fault in my case is poor quality midwiffery care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Interesting thread......can i ask where/who is suggesting there is a link between women suffering prior abuse and birth trauma?

Oh and i voted too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    this was suggested to me by some big-wigs in maternity care in WA, at the workshop I went to last Monday....wont say who, dont want to be done for defamation

a way of saying it's not their fault, iykwim....

but as far as i'm concerned, even if a woman is prone to trauma from a past experience, that is no reason why she shouldnt have a wonderful birth experience, and it is up to the careprovider, moreso, to ensure that these specific women are cared for in a more considerate way.

So far the poll shows that birth trauma is indiscriminate of whether or not you have a 'history'....which as far as I can see, is more of a reflection on the state of maternity care in this country at the moment, ie, it is their fault.
    Last edited by becca74; 16-12-2006 at 18:24. Reason: re-wording a funny sounding sentance ;-)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is probably a bit off on a tangent, but I heard today that there is an interesting new study out which proves that after the birth of a child, a woman is more likely than any other period in her life, to experience mental illness, and i guess birth trauma can sometimes trigger mental illness

would have to find the study though, it was just hearsay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I was actually warned of this & the fact i may have trouble b/f due to my sexual abuse growing up.
    Its actually quite interesting hearing about it all.
    It does make sense if you think about it in that here you are bared to the world when giving birth it can be like experiencing what you went through in regards to having no real control over your body again.
    I know this may seem weird but i sorta felt like that because it was another little being doing all of this as in starting his way into the world controlling my body etc.
    Mmm i dont think im explaining myself well but then having had only 3 crackers & a glass of ginger ale all day may make an individual insane.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ApprenticeMomma View Post
    This is probably a bit off on a tangent, but I heard today that there is an interesting new study out which proves that after the birth of a child, a woman is more likely than any other period in her life, to experience mental illness, and i guess birth trauma can sometimes trigger mental illness

would have to find the study though, it was just hearsay.

I actually would be able to believe this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes AP- a friend of mine is a psych nurse and works with PND mummies. She has told em the first two years after a women has a baby can trigger mental health issues.
    She mentions something about having a baby bringing up past/childhood issues that are unresolved etc

Ally- hun i got what you where saying.

I experienced verbal/emotional abuse as a young child

But im not convinced thats the reason behind my birth trauma,
    it may have meant i am more sensitive or something BUT i too believe it was the care i was given that triggered my birth trauma.
    A big issue with me is that they sent dh home at the onset of labour so iwas alone for almost half the birth...not happy Jan

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was raped as an adult but I don't think it had much to do with my birth trauma at all. It is however, the main factor as to why I don't go to a gynecologist.