+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's not as straightforward as 14g rice = 14g carbs. Rice has other stuff in it too. When you start the monitoring, you'll get a feel for what is ok and what will put you over, and people respond differently to foods, and you will respond differently day by day too.

I have found nuts and cheese to be great for snacks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    It's not as straightforward as 14g rice = 14g carbs. Rice has other stuff in it too. When you start the monitoring, you'll get a feel for what is ok and what will put you over, and people respond differently to foods, and you will respond differently day by day too.

I have found nuts and cheese to be great for snacks.
    Lol yes i know. But i checked the carb content of a 1/2 cup rice and it still goes beyond the 14g. Since i dont have the sugar level monitor yet, I'll just limit myself to the 14g carb per meal for now.

Do you actually feel something different if your blood sugar level is high? Like nauseous or headache or weakness?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Just diagnosed with Gestational DM :( :( :(

Quote Originally Posted by Mona424 View Post
    When I went to my diabetes education course, our educator told us to have 14g of carbs per meal (which is seriously not much). Eating fruit really isn't that bad, the sugars are natural.

Waiting a week is fine. Please don't starve yourself, you will do more harm than good. As above, eat some good fats
    14g of carbs per meal is not the current recomendation. This is a screen shot of the current guidelines this is from WA but it's the same here in qld.
    IMG_1494619861.370654.jpg

ETA that's a bit blurry here is the link. http://kemh.health.wa.gov.au/brochur...s/wnhs0560.pdf
    Last edited by mummymaybe; 13-05-2017 at 06:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumchi9 View Post

Do you actually feel something different if your blood sugar level is high? Like nauseous or headache or weakness?
    No, or i don't anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol yes i know. But i checked the carb content of a 1/2 cup rice and it still goes beyond the 14g. Since i dont have the sugar level monitor yet, I'll just limit myself to the 14g carb per meal for now.

I certainly don't, having said that my sugars are pretty good so they are never really high.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    14g of carbs per meal is not the current recomendation. This is a screen shot of the current guidelines this is from WA but it's the same here in qld.
    Attachment 90275

ETA that's a bit blurry here is the link. http://kemh.health.wa.gov.au/brochur...s/wnhs0560.pdf
    Oh wow I can actually live with this. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I never had any symptoms, but also never had really high BSLs. I've worked with kids with type 1 and they also didn't get many symptoms, feeling "unwell" or maybe nauseous and needing to urinate more - but these would only happen once their sugars were around 18+.

As PP said, the 14g is a 'serve' but main meals should have at least 2 serves, snacks one. Snacking is a really important part of keeping your levels stable and you shouldn't feel starved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update:

So I have recently attended the Diabetes Education session. I'm glad I didnt buy my own glucometre as it was given for free.

It's been 3 days since I've been monitoring my blood sugar and so far my levels are all within normal levels. I don't know if it's because I'm doing well with my diet.

I still have a bit of doubt that the OGTT result was screwed up because I was sick when I took it (hence the borderline result). I've read several forums and even diabetics saying that their sugar levels gets extra high when they're sick.

Anyway, whether it's false or real diagnosis, I actually like this kind of diet. Like I feel healthier than healthy now lol. I also learned a lot about food that I thought was healthy but not really. I'll probably keep this eating routine even after my delivery.

It just sucks that I have to prick my finger 4x a day. If my level stays within normal limit after several weeks, I wish they decrease the frequency of my blood sugar monitoring.

--------
    I'm glad there's so called Low GI rice haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having mixed issues regarding pregnancy not to mention I have lots of stress with the moving and packing.

First, my blood sugar level seems normal. I had one high reading last week post dinner meal which is 7 (ate double cheezeburger at Maccas). However, The Diabetes team sseems impressed with my result and told me that they'll ask for fortnighlty report instead of weekly.

Now my weight seems to steady to 56kg since I was last diagnosed. I actually lost 1 kg one week after the diagnosis because of the diet change.

My regular GP doesnt seem concern with my situation so I guess I'm OK.

Now I was called to the hospital for specialty check-up regarding my Diabetes and risk for Preeclampsia (I guess). The doctor measured my abdomen and she seems concerned with the baby growing too big. So she requested for growth scan.

Today I just had an ultrasound and this tjme they're telling me baby's measurement seems 1 to 2 weeks behind but probably normal because I'm a petite mum in the first place.

So mucj conflicting stuff about my pregnancy. 😣

Thanks
    Reviews
    My results were slightly out of range too (4.1 - 10.2 - 4.1) and I have argued the point at every appointment since my diagnosis.
    My BGL are always within range, usually the lower end, never the higher end and yet at 34w they have decided to put me on metformin..... my levels haven't changed in the last 2 weeks, still the lower end of range so because they couldn't see a change they have just upped me to 2 tablets a day. It's been 5 days and again no change.... the pills aren't doing anything because I don't need them!!!!!!!!
    The only good thing to come out of this experience for me is the extra scans and getting to see bubs at 28w, 32w and again next week at 36w. Oh and BTW, he is measuring perfectly to size and they are predicting 7 & half pounds at full term.

On another note, I have been in the maternity ward for monitoring due to symptoms for PET and everyone who was also in the room for monitoring (different reasons) every single one of us had GD..... starting this think there may be some conspiracies 🤣