+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I started to be more strict with my diet. I've called the hospital and said they'll contact me for the Diabetes education appointment. My GP said it's normally scheduled on a Tuesday. I dont think I can wait that long before I get my glucometre (if they'll provide it). Anyway, I decided to just buy one later coz not knowing my blood sugar everytime I eat makes me more paranoid.

I'm not planning to ask for any repeat OGTT. If I was really misdiagnosed then it should show in my glucose monitoring results, right? In a way I'm also curious how food I ate affects my blood sugar. I just pray that I can manage this without taking insulin. Atleast if I start monitoring now, I'll have an idea if mine is easily manageable. *sigh*

Diet modification is still hard though. I can manage not eating the usual sweets but also removing carbs from my diet is quite a pain. Like I've been eating carbs in moderation before yet now I actually have to avoid them or atleast substitute with better options. Getting wholegrain bread is alright but substituting my usual Jasmine rice to a brown rice is like ugh! I mix brown rice with white before but I just cant eat pure brown rice. It's texture is tooooo nutty.

Oh well... thanks for all your words of advice and encouragement mums. It helps taking my frustrations out in this forum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumchi9 View Post

Diet modification is still hard though. I can manage not eating the usual sweets but also removing carbs from my diet is quite a pain. Like I've been eating carbs in moderation before yet now I actually have to avoid them or atleast substitute with better options. Getting wholegrain bread is alright but substituting my usual Jasmine rice to a brown rice is like ugh! I mix brown rice with white before but I just cant eat pure brown rice. It's texture is tooooo nutty.

Oh well... thanks for all your words of advice and encouragement mums. It helps taking my frustrations out in this forum.
    Eating and testing will help and you might be surprised what you can eat. I have been able to keep my levels good with carbs such as multigrain bread, low GI pasta and basmati rice...have not needed to go to brown rice.

I know every body is different but hopefully your diet doesn't change too much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started to be more strict with my diet. I've called the hospital and said they'll contact me for the Diabetes education appointment. My GP said it's normally scheduled on a Tuesday. I dont think I can wait that long before I get my glucometre (if they'll provide it). Anyway, I decided to just buy one later coz not knowing my blood sugar everytime I eat makes me more paranoid.

I'm not planning to ask for any repeat OGTT. If I was really misdiagnosed then it should show in my glucose monitoring results, right? In a way I'm also curious how food I ate affects my blood sugar. I just pray that I can manage this without taking insulin. Atleast if I start monitoring now, I'll have an idea if mine is easily manageable. *sigh*

Have you tried the low gi white rice? My levels are as good with that as with brown rice and it tastes like normal rice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    Have you tried the low gi white rice? My levels are as good with that as with brown rice and it tastes like normal rice.
    I agree to try this, its labelled "clever rice". The GI of brown rice is not low. Basmati is an OK choice. Rice was one thing I needed to stick to a small serve (2/3 cup). (I'm 5'9" tall, so my small serve may be bigger than a shorter person's)

Pasta was better, I could have a bigger serve and potato (roast or chips were better than mashed). I stuck to burgen bread as the 9 Grain (which is labelled low GI) slices are so large they would send me up a little.

Special K worked as the best cereal option, or adding almonds and sunflower seeds to rolled out porridge.

I'm a carb fiend and the biggest thing was to spread them out over the day. I'm not a big fruit eater, which the dietician had no issue with as I eat heaps of veg. So I could eat a bit more grain in my snacks as I wasn't eating fruit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    I haven't tried it yet but I'll take it into consideration after we consumed our stock of brown rice. So far I'm just limiting myself to 1/2 cup of mixed brown and white rice.

======================
    I didn't proceed buying the glucometre. The pharmacist from the Chemist actually gave me an advice to think about it. It would be better buying one when I get the Diabetes paper from the hospital so I could get discounts and stuff. He told me to just continue my DM diet and not to stress too much.

Anyway, I just mainly want to buy one out of curiosity and also to check if I'm doing it right. I guess waiting till next week wont be bad. Actually, I'm more worried that I'm overdoing it and end up starving myself and my baby. I can't help getting paranoid. It feels like almost everything in my fridge has sugar in it even the food that I used to think healthy such as Chobani mango flavored yogurt and my Wholegrain Milo cereals... even the plain salted nuts I was nibbling says it contains sugar, the mandarin on the table has sugar !

They say it's not about not eating sugar and carbs but about controlling and having small portions. But how can I reassure myself that the sugar content in a 1 pc mandarin wont fully screw my blood sugar level without the glucometre? What if I'm one of those people who needed insulin and I'll only really know after I start the DM treatment next week?

Like right now I'm hungry but I have no appetite to eat another bowl of salad and 1 serve of chicken breast. I want a piece of bread and butter or my homemade potato croquette. but I just cant and it's not fun at all. I have dumplings in my fridge but can't have it either. Well atleast not now till I start monitoring my blood sugar level

Sorry if I'm full of ranting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My public hospital gave me a BSL monitor for free, so I'd hold out if i were you, and see if you get given one!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Just diagnosed with Gestational DM :( :( :(

Yes my hospital gave me all the monitoring stuff for free. GD made no difference to my pregnancy apart from testing a few times a day and being slightly more careful with what I ate. Bub was not big (3.0kg)
    Don't let it stress you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't tried it yet but I'll take it into consideration after we consumed our stock of brown rice. So far I'm just limiting myself to 1/2 cup of mixed brown and white rice.

======================
    I didn't proceed buying the glucometre. The pharmacist from the Chemist actually gave me an advice to think about it. It would be better buying one when I get the Diabetes paper from the hospital so I could get discounts and stuff. He told me to just continue my DM diet and not to stress too much.

Anyway, I just mainly want to buy one out of curiosity and also to check if I'm doing it right. I guess waiting till next week wont be bad. Actually, I'm more worried that I'm overdoing it and end up starving myself and my baby. I can't help getting paranoid. It feels like almost everything in my fridge has sugar in it even the food that I used to think healthy such as Chobani mango flavored yogurt and my Wholegrain Milo cereals... even the plain salted nuts I was nibbling says it contains sugar, the mandarin on the table has sugar !

They say it's not about not eating sugar and carbs but about controlling and having small portions. But how can I reassure myself that the sugar content in a 1 pc mandarin wont fully screw my blood sugar level without the glucometre? What if I'm one of those people who needed insulin and I'll only really know after I start the DM treatment next week?

Like right now I'm hungry but I have no appetite to eat another bowl of salad and 1 serve of chicken breast. I want a piece of bread and butter or my homemade potato croquette. but I just cant and it's not fun at all. I have dumplings in my fridge but can't have it either. Well atleast not now till I start monitoring my blood sugar level

Sorry if I'm full of ranting.
    I don't have any experience with diabetes apart from seeing my sister with GD, however if you're hungry, fill up on healthy fats, at least for the meantime while you wait for your appointment. Think avocado, raw unsalted nuts, eggs, cheese, etc. Don't be scared to use oils in your cooking. In the absence of carbs, they will fill you up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I went to my diabetes education course, our educator told us to have 14g of carbs per meal (which is seriously not much). Eating fruit really isn't that bad, the sugars are natural.

Waiting a week is fine. Please don't starve yourself, you will do more harm than good. As above, eat some good fats

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im happy for all your suggestions. I'll stick to 14g carbs per meal while I'm still not sure about my real sugar level situation. It's nice to have a bit of a reference. I guess I have to just stop with my 1/2 cup of mixed brown and white rice as it still goes beyond the 14g carbs. Knowing that, Im not too worried anymore that i've eaten 1 small mandarin for snack.

I'll totally switch to 1/2 cup basmati and also buy that K cereal.

Happy to hear more tips from you, mommies. Thank you so much.