+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Just diagnosed with Gestational DM :( :( :(

It's still not sinking in and a part of me is still in doubt with the result. I am aware of the risk factors for developing Gestational DM but most of it doesn't apply to me. I have no family history of Diabetes, My BMI is good, I may not be very active but my work requires lots of walking and physical effort plus I sometimes do pregnancy yoga during spare time at home. I am not into sweets, I do eat some but I'm not the type who will eat plenty. I may not be a veggie lover but I still try to eat fiber rich food.This is my first baby so I have no past history of DM. Basically I am known to be conscious with health and fitness. Some might even see me as 'overdoing it' because I've been seen counting calories (I use MyfitnessPal app) despite my slim built even before I was pregnant. It's just me.

So I'm really surprised when the GP said that my OGTT result says I have Gestational DM. She said the numbers were all borderline but it still means I'm Diabetic.

Is there a possibility that there's a misdiagnosis? You see when I took the OGTT I have a bad case of cold. 2 days before the test, I was really sick with sore throat, stuffy nose, My eyes and mouth felt hot (although temperature reading said I didnt have a fever), I had general body weakness that I stayed bedridden for a whole day.

The day of the OGTT, I just started to recover from the cold but I still wasn't feeling good as I still had persistent cough and runny nose and still a bit weak. However, I pushed through the test since I don't want to miss the OGTT at 28 weeks. Anyway, the phlebotomist knows my condition and she didn't say anything so I guess it was ok.

By the way, this is my second time to have OGTT. I know most pregnant women only have it once but my GP seems to be the meticulous kind because she immediately requested me to do blood test and OGTT when I first met her at 16 weeks pregnant. All results were normal.

But now, I'm wondering if it was a bad idea that I took the test when I was sick. My fasting blood sugar was 4.4. My 1 hour is 11.1 and 2 hours is 8.6.... (they're like 1 to 0.1 difference from normal level. What if because I wasn't feeling good, my fasting blood sugar is higher than the usual even if it's normal--- my previous OGTT fasting was 3.3.... what if my illness made me not cope so efficiently to the Glucose solution for that decimal point difference?

Anyway, I didn't ask for a repeat test because I'm still not fully recovered from my cold. Changing my diet is not really a big issue for me because I've been monitoring my diet anyway! I have no other choice but to proceed to a Diabetes treatment plan and have myself prick my fingers and monitor my blood sugar . I'll do anything for the baby.

I know it's not the end of the world and GP said I probably only need to monitor my diet. But you see I can't help but be paranoid because despite my efforts this situation still happened. Like now I feel any small bad food in my system will make my health go haywire.

It's so ironic because at first my worry is that baby will be too small for his age. (Small bump and Ultrasound technician said baby was in the normal range but quite small--- although my GP said the technician had no right to give that comment)

Now, I'm scared baby will be too big plus other complications that might occur.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're borderline you should just be monitoring your sugar levels (BSL's or BGL's) 4 x day and watching your diet for now. If your BSL's stay within normal limits then you won't need medication but it they start to rise then you'll catch the change early which is best for you and bub. It sucks yes but it's best for you and bub in the long run. I'm 24 weeks with twins, a physio, very active, no family history etc and was diagnosed at 16 weeks. I had the same feelings but really, it's not anything you've done wrong and with monitoring and regular input from a diabetes educator you should said through
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was in denial about having GDM too...

But i have to say, those results are high for the 1 and 2 hrs post sugary drink. At 1hr, they should be a max of 9.9 (yours was 11.1) and at 2hrs, a max of 8.4 (yours was 8.6), so they were both over.

If you are anything like me, you will see a dietician and diabetes educator first, get set up with a BSL monitor, and then see how your BSLs go testing 4 times a day. If the levels are fine, like PP said, that's all you'll need to do. GDM can get worse as the pregnancy progresses apparently, so the sooner you get on top of it, the better.

Apparently being a bit sick can affect results, but a few weeks of monitoring will let you know if there's an ongoing problem.

Good luck with it. It's not so bad.. and getting on top of it now will be for the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Are you being seen by an obstetric medicine doctor, diabetic midwife/educator? These are the people who will monitor your sugars. If they are stable throughout the pregnancy there is every chance they will drop your testing to 3 days a week and then stop them altogether. This is what happens where I work for women whose sugars are well controlled by diet. Obviously if your sugars aren't stable then they will look at medication/insulin if and when required. Sometimes they will do a growth and wellbeing scan around 34-36 weeks, particularly if you are on any kind of medication. If your diabetes is well controlled by diet, the research shows that there is no indication to induce labour prior to 40 weeks unless baby is showing as large for gestational age (LGA). It's not all bad news.

For what it's worth risk factors are just that, risk factors. They are not a definite. People with all the risk factors in the world can not have a GDM diagnosis. People with none whatsoever can have GDM controlled only by insulin. Don't eat yourself up. If you're that concerned, ask for your test to be repeated. It may not change the outcome though so be prepared for that too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ditto for - none of the risk factors yet have got it every pregnancy. Two pregnancies had to take insulin to keep blood glucose under control as diet control wasn't enough. I was under the care of an endocrinologist each time. This last pregnancy I was on I insulin from about 22 weeks - to be honest it is better to do that than have lots of high blood glucose readings trying to control it with diet. My pregnancy with diet control was a 4.1kg baby with an off the chart abdominal circumference and my latest baby with the insulin was a 3.6 kg baby. I had growth scans every 4 weeks with all pregnancies. It's not a disaster having GDM - there are worse pregnancy complications to have and GDM is something that can be closely monitored.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your situation sounds the same as me but it just shows that your body isn't processing the sugar at the level it's supposed to.

I got a blood glucose machine from a pharmacy when I was diagnosed, are normally for 3 days and recorded what I ate and my levels. I soon realised that breakfast was too high and if I ate out at lunch, it increased my levels. I made tiny adjustments and now all my meals test within the accepted range, really hasn't impacted me much at all.

You can't do anything to stop getting it - it's just in the genes. I am monitored by a midwife, I send in my data each Sunday and as my levels are so good, I test every second day.

Don't be hard on yourself - there might not be any side effects; so far my bub hasn't shown any signs of being affected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Green lady View Post
    Ditto for - none of the risk factors yet have got it every pregnancy. Two pregnancies had to take insulin to keep blood glucose under control as diet control wasn't enough. I was under the care of an endocrinologist each time. This last pregnancy I was on I insulin from about 22 weeks - to be honest it is better to do that than have lots of high blood glucose readings trying to control it with diet. My pregnancy with diet control was a 4.1kg baby with an off the chart abdominal circumference and my latest baby with the insulin was a 3.6 kg baby. I had growth scans every 4 weeks with all pregnancies. It's not a disaster having GDM - there are worse pregnancy complications to have and GDM is something that can be closely monitored.
    This. I've got GDM and I'm on insulin. I would choose to aggressively treat it than have a big bub or a bub who can't maintain their blood sugars at birth.

My last pregnancy was extremely complicated and GDM is nothing compared to that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I struggled when diagnosed too as I didn't have it with my 1st. I'm typically a healthy weight but do have PCO and one grandparent developed diabetes in their 80s. I hadn't considered either of these as risk factors as I assumed my Nan's diabetes was just part of getting old and I've always been a 'lean PCO' with no insulin resistance.

My 2hr was 8.1, other 2 were good. I kept my levels so easily within range initially that I was convinced I was misdiagnosed. So I 'tested' it with a trip to the bakery - nope, turns out a carby binge threw me over sure thing!

Once I had a few weeks of great results on the GDM diet the nurse was happy for me to just check my fasting each morning and one meal a day. I did need to be a bit more careful with my eating towards the end but didn't need insulin. I also had an extra scan around 34-36w to check fluid and bubs waist measurement/general size and gave birth at 39+2 to an average size 3.5kg bub (my first was about the same size born at 37+1). I agree with PP that for me GDM wasn't a very complicating complication.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had GD with only one of my pregnancies. No symptoms and borderline blood test.

Monitoring your diet can help but unfortunately for me and like many others it doesn't matter how good you are with your diet you will still need insulin.

Unfortunately, during pregnancy the hormones somehow stop the insulin your making reaching your baby. I ended up with a big baby even though I was monitored and on insulin. Luckily for me, I don't have diabetes and neither does my son.

If you are really concerned and willing to do another test then you should.

TBH I was like you, I just didn't want to believe I had it. But I just had to tackle it head on for the health of myself and my baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    With my first i was just over what they considered the cut off, thankfully mine was just diet and exercise controlled. They should set you up with a glucose machine and have you sit down with a dietitian.

I had to test my blood first thing in the morning (before any food) and then 2 hours after each meal you make sure my levels were in a normal range. I too am not over weight and was shocked and quite upset when i found out i had GD with my daughter. The midwife assured me though that it wasn't anything that i had done wrong, and that its to do with your placenta and your body not making enough insulin due to hormones etc.

I don't think a cold would effect your results sorry to say.