+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MuMtORiLeYandLeO View Post
    Yeah the uk is behind the times, it's good that they test everyone in Australia.
    Interesting how the U.K. does things differently, although I've noticed that processes for pregnant women in Aus have changed a lot in recent years...in a good way...as doctors respond to results of studies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's actually really interesting how it can affect people. A girl I went to school with was obese with her first 2 pregnancies (I think somewhere in the size 20-22 range), no diabetes. Third pregnancy had overhauled her lifestyle - exercise, diet etc and lost buckets of weight (was a size 8-10, 60ish kg pre preg and looked amazing) and ended up with GDM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MUG81 View Post
    Oh, it's like super important!

I did the GT test when our FS was running all the tests last year, to check for my risk. Was a higher reading, which puts me "at risk".
    We did the test through FS as I have diabetes in my extended family.

The midwife I saw for my first hospital visit said bc diabetes wasn't in my immediate family, we'd wait and test in the usual 26-ish week mark. No way! I have another check up with a different midwife at 19weeks coming up and I'm going to insist! I love this Bubba so much and would be more than happy to be inconvenienced for a few hours (understatement when going through pregnancy, hey!)

In response to your initial post OP, while you don't have to, why wouldn't you?
    I didn't because I was ill during the one pregnancy I had it offered to me (not a standardised test at that time), and I was unable to fast because I had to eat every three hours...during the night as well, or I would.be vomiting non stop. I spoke to my midwife and we made a plan B.
    I have had friends have babies since who have had hypermesis and have tried two or three times to have the test but just can't keep it down. Perhaps understand that for some there is more to it than not wanting to be hungry or inconvenienced.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

DT75  (12-05-2017),MuMtORiLeYandLeO  (12-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Something to keep in mind too is the cutoff levels for GDM are different in the UK and Australia too... in the UK, i wouldn't be considered to have GDM, but in Australia i do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Something to keep in mind too is the cutoff levels for GDM are different in the UK and Australia too... in the UK, i wouldn't be considered to have GDM, but in Australia i do.
    But then the treatment would be more measured...it's more about being able to keep a closer eye on women who are borderline