+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh, it's like super important!

I did the GT test when our FS was running all the tests last year, to check for my risk. Was a higher reading, which puts me "at risk".
    We did the test through FS as I have diabetes in my extended family.

The midwife I saw for my first hospital visit said bc diabetes wasn't in my immediate family, we'd wait and test in the usual 26-ish week mark. No way! I have another check up with a different midwife at 19weeks coming up and I'm going to insist! I love this Bubba so much and would be more than happy to be inconvenienced for a few hours (understatement when going through pregnancy, hey!)

In response to your initial post OP, while you don't have to, why wouldn't you?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MUG81 For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (11-05-2017),Yogis Mumma  (11-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    In the U.K. Whether or not you have the test varies by hospital, some do it routinely for everyone and some do it only if you have certain risk factors.

OP, I would just do it over here (the U.K.) as you would have to do it in Australia anyway and it is not going to be any different.

Good to know.
    OP didn't say she was in the UK so based my answer on here.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (11-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    I had to repeat my GT tests as I was considered high risk.

In all honesty ... it has nothing to do with the inconvenience of it, how long it will take, how hungry you might be.

It's one of those things that is done in the best interests of you and your baby, and sometimes as adults we just have to suck it up, put our feelings about these things aside and do them!

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but there will be many, many things we have to do as parents that we really don't want to do. It's all part and parcel of having children.

I'd be doing the test, and I'd be doing it at the recommended time. You and your baby's health should be your first priority....
    Yes, that's why I ask how important is it? If I didn't care I simply wouldn't bother writing and finding out about it!

Now I have all the info, so thanks ladies.
    Yes I know all about having to do things you don't want to do as a parent, I have a ten yr old!

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MUG81 View Post
    Oh, it's like super important!

I did the GT test when our FS was running all the tests last year, to check for my risk. Was a higher reading, which puts me "at risk".
    We did the test through FS as I have diabetes in my extended family.

The midwife I saw for my first hospital visit said bc diabetes wasn't in my immediate family, we'd wait and test in the usual 26-ish week mark. No way! I have another check up with a different midwife at 19weeks coming up and I'm going to insist! I love this Bubba so much and would be more than happy to be inconvenienced for a few hours (understatement when going through pregnancy, hey!)

In response to your initial post OP, while you don't have to, why wouldn't you?
    Because I've got a lot on, I'm not well, I get very faint when I go for bloods, if it were something that wasn't a big deal then I'd rather not. Obviously I've found out that it seems to be so I will go and do it. I've simply asked about it, never said I wasn't doing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely get it done. My BFF chose not to have it when recommended ...she didn't realize how important it was, was busy working and just didn't quite get around to it. She was eventually diagnosed at 35wks, after some pregnancy complications. Sadly, the GD caused her bub to be huge and have massive organ issues and bub died at 3 days old from organ failure as a direct result of GD. It was absolutely heart breaking and would most likely been prevented with that simple screening test and insulin. So sad 😢

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    I would definitely get it done. My BFF chose not to have it when recommended ...she didn't realize how important it was, was busy working and just didn't quite get around to it. She was eventually diagnosed at 35wks, after some pregnancy complications. Sadly, the GD caused her bub to be huge and have massive organ issues and bub died at 3 days old from organ failure as a direct result of GD. It was absolutely heart breaking and would most likely been prevented with that simple screening test and insulin. So sad
    Oh really! That is serious then isn't it. I honestly didn't have a clue about it. Im glad I've got the info now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I called up about it, and the lady said, why are you getting it done, is it because of family history or origins, I said yes. Because when me and the midwife went through questions, she specifically said, ok you're in the category to have it done. So they don't do a screening for everyone here, it isn't a big deal unless you fall into their category, which led me to ask about it. This is the uk btw. She gave me a number to call to see if I could get it done earlier. I also texted my cousin about it, she said she never got offered it, so just abit of Info there. Australia does have a better system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They started testing everyone because they found people who weren't in the "category" were also getting gestational diabetes. They found young fit and healthy women were getting it, so its good they are now testing everyone as its not just older, overweight or certain nationalities that are prone to getting it.

I had it with my first and just found out i don't have it with my second but i am JUST under the cut off for what they consider as GD. They said i might have to retest if bub continues to measure on the bigger side.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah the uk is behind the times, it's good that they test everyone in Australia.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MuMtORiLeYandLeO For This Useful Post:

curlybird  (11-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybird View Post
    They started testing everyone because they found people who weren't in the "category" were also getting gestational diabetes. They found young fit and healthy women were getting it, so its good they are now testing everyone as its not just older, overweight or certain nationalities that are prone to getting it.

Yes my friend was Caucasian, 25 and only a little overweight with no family history of DM or GD. Her subsequent 3 pregnancies she has had to use insulin from very early (1st trimester). She doesn't have diabetes when not pregnant.