+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would do it. I didn't have GD with my daughter but did when I had my son. And i suffered pretty bad. It can also affect your baby too. Your baby could be born with diabetes without the proper treatment.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mona424 For This Useful Post:

MuMtORiLeYandLeO  (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That sounds a bit extreme. I had mine about 11 weeks ago. To be honest, the worst part was drinking the drink. The first couple of sips were ok and then it became sickly sweet very quickly!! The fasting and blood test aspect was nothing in comparison. I went in at 7:30 and had first blood test at 8 (they were running late). Drank the drink. Second blood test at 9, third blood test at 10. Then straight to the local cafe for breakfast. Just scope out the best place to eat afterwards and make a beeline for it, that's my suggestion.

But yes, it is a recommended test in pregnancy and yes you can decline. However as many PPs have said, the risks of undiagnosed GDM can have a significant impact on your pregnancy. A few hours of hunger is better than a sick mum or baby in the long run.

Also, the glucose tolerance test (GTT) is the gold standard (75g). If you do have the test, make sure it's the GTT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You have to fast for the test in Aus too...

Depending on the opening hours of the pathology would depend on when you start and finish.

It is 3 blood tests. So will be done within 3 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's not as bad as you think. I went in at 8 they took my bloods and urine then waited an hour and repeat then another hour roughly and I went back to work around 1030 I think it was. I just took a book to read but you still have to fast from midnight so that part is no different. It doesn't matter where your from, what skin colour you have or what your religion is all women are offered and advised to take the test just like your offered to have the whooping cough vaccine aswell before 28wks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Did they say it was because of your ethnicity?

Because it's actually standard for everyone.

ETA: It's not compulsory but I think it is a big deal.
    In the U.K. Whether or not you have the test varies by hospital, some do it routinely for everyone and some do it only if you have certain risk factors.

OP, I would just do it over here (the U.K.) as you would have to do it in Australia anyway and it is not going to be any different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    GD diabetes has no physical symptoms. I've eaten well and exercised this pregnancy and was really shocked with my diagnosis. It's hereditary so there was nothing I could do to prevent it.

Having it and not monitoring it/controlling it can affect the baby negatively.

The test should only take two hours. Fast over night, get to testing place as soon as they open, drink the glucose drink, wait an hour then blood test, wait one more hour and test again...all done!

I was told it should be done between 24-28 weeks (but some drs opinions may vary).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (11-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I did it early with DD1 and again at about 28weeks. With DD2 I declined the early test and did the 28w one. I did check my fasting sugars on occasion with a finger price test at home. No GD for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had it through each of my 4 pregnancies, twice in the last one. It's really not too difficult. Had to fast from midnight, go in and have the first bloods done at 8, drink the horrible drink and get retested at 9 and at 10 then go home. I just brought a snack with me so as soon as that last test was done, I could eat it in the car on the way home.
    You might be hungry but your baby isn't going to starve from not eating for half the morning. Firstly, baby will keep getting nutrients from you so it won't change for them. It's only you going to be hungry and honestly, it's for a few hours and to know that your baby is going to be well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (11-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to repeat my GT tests as I was considered high risk.

In all honesty ... it has nothing to do with the inconvenience of it, how long it will take, how hungry you might be.

It's one of those things that is done in the best interests of you and your baby, and sometimes as adults we just have to suck it up, put our feelings about these things aside and do them!

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but there will be many, many things we have to do as parents that we really don't want to do. It's all part and parcel of having children.

I'd be doing the test, and I'd be doing it at the recommended time. You and your baby's health should be your first priority....

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Cami1321  (12-05-2017),curlybird  (11-05-2017),Yogis Mumma  (11-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I did the GD test whilst I was hospitalised on bed rest, so it was of no inconvenience to me at the time. I just considered it one of those routine tests, which it is, and it's important to know if you have GD.

Plus (just my opinion) the drink is the bomb! Like sweet sweet flat lemonade. Delicious