+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do I have to do the glucose test? How important is it...

So, because of my ethnic background they want me to do this glucose test for GD im guessing, something to do with diabetes they said. I really don't fancy doing it as they said they need to take two samples in one day and I have to starve basically, I'm just not up for it, I'd rather not.. I've never had problems with diabetes and I was fine with my son. I find it odd they want me to do this test just because half my family comes from a certain country.

Is it a big deal if I don't want to do it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Did they say it was because of your ethnicity?

Because it's actually standard for everyone.

ETA: It's not compulsory but I think it is a big deal.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (11-05-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (10-05-2017),Wise Enough  (11-05-2017)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I was of the understanding that all pregnant women do the glucose test for Gestational diabetes. I certainly did.

Gestational diabetes is fairly serious - and it affects women who do not have diabetes outside of pregnancy. It is a pregnancy related condition ... so never having had diabetes or any blood sugar issues doesnt mean that it wont be a problem - and not having an issue last time doesnt mean you wont have it this time.

It isnt that hard - you have a blood test, drink a horrible drink, wait 2 hrs and have another blood test. its time consuming and annoying, but not invasive or difficult.

Still - the choice is always yours. So to answer your question - yes you may refuse the test.

Best wishes, whatever you decide

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It isn't as bad as it sounds.

It is a recommendation for every pregnancy. I have a family history of diabetes, gestational diabetes and I also have PCOS. So for me IMO it was important to do (I did not have GD with any pregnancy thankfully).

You can choose not to.

But undiagnosed and uncontrolled GD can be dangerous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is a standardised test these days to my knowledge, but that doesn't mean you have to have it. It wasn't a standardised test at the hospital I had my kids at (years ago), but it was offered to me with my last child because I then had one risk factor. I declined the test.
    My understanding is the 75gm test is more accurate the 50gm test...so if you decided to do it (and there are strong cases for it) then make sure you have the 75gm tesr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is your choice whether to have the test but it's been recommended for a good reason so I'd personally strongly encourage you to do it. It's a bit unpleasant (I've done it) but the benefits in detecting and managing gestational diabetes far outweigh the minor unpleasantness of the test.
    All women in Australia are offered/encouraged to have gestational diabetes screening in second trimester.
    It is important to screen for gestational diabetes because there are often no symptoms of it.
    Having a previous pregnancy without gestational diabetes does not mean you can't have it in another pregnancy.
    The reason it is so important is because it is a huge risk factor for many pregnancy complications which could have severe implications for you and your baby.
    Some ethnic groups are at much higher risk for gestational diabetes so it's good clinical practice (not odd) to strongly encourage screening in high risk groups.
    If you have undiagnosed gestational diabetes (remembering there's often no symptoms to prompt you to get checked out independently later) there's serious risks for you and your baby so my personal opinion is it's definitely worth it but it's your body your choice.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (10-05-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (10-05-2017),M'LadyEm  (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Imo it is important. Its standard and offered to all pregnant women. It only takes a few hours to complete. Yes you can refuse to do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, they must do it different here in uk.. they said I had to do it because of family background. I won't be here anyway as of next month, I'll be back in Australia.

If I can find the time between looking for a place and setting life up again then I'll do it I suppose. But it's going to be busy trying to get organised by first week of September!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    FWIW, I was tested twice for gestational diabetes (GDM) last pregnancy, and didn't have it. Tested this time for second pregnancy, and i do have it. So don't think just because you were ok last time that you won't have it this time.

Ps i found doing the test fine - just there for 2hrs. Take a book!

I support what others have said about undiagnosed GDM being a real problem. Your choice - but i would have the test.

Apparently about 15% of pregnant women are diagnosed with GDM, so it's not like it's uncommon unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks for the info, it sounds a lot easier in Australia, though it doesn't surprise me, everything here seems more difficult.

They want me to come in at 8 having not eaten anything and then starve until after midday and do another sample. I and baby would be starving, I've normally had two breakfasts before 12! I'd prefer to do it in aus but I would be in third trimester then... is that still ok? Really don't want to do it here... can't wait to leave honestly...