+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How do you explain who aboriginal people are to your kids?

My eldest is 7 and we live in a very Caucasian community so have had no exposure to other nationalities or aboriginal people. At school today he coloured in an aboriginal picture and tonight was asking what aboriginal means.

What are some good age appropriate explanations I can give?

And I apologise if I have worded any of this is an offensive way - please tell me if I have and I will change it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm lucky I haven't had to have that discussion as my kids go to a predominantly indigenous school so they are surrounded by it.
    I would suggest just getting some literature on it. There is a world of amazing books that explain all sorts about it.
    If you ask around, you can probably find an elder that would be willing to meet with your kids, or local places of significance. My kids are enthralled by learning all about it. We recently had a school excursion out to Mungo National Park and learnt about the ancient (40,000-50,000 year old) ways of the land. And learned about Mungo Man and Mungo Lady.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't know. Subbing for ideas if I need to.

But I do know at childcare they have spoken about Indigenous Australians (every year during diversity week - they have a local elder who comes in too) so I assume DS knows. He has never asked though.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There are some great Aboriginal stories for children. I remember growing up with the Rainbow Serpent, Giant Devil Dingo (I remember it being called something else - and on second thoughts I remember being scared of this book as a kid - If you google it you'll see what I mean)
    The Echidna and the Shade Tree.
    Maybe some picture books would be a good start.
    Also I found this link that might help
    http://guides.slv.vic.gov.au/childre.../aboriginality

But for actually explaining I have no idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in an area with a reasonably high Indigenous population, if that makes a difference.
    I dunno, it's just part of how we talk about the world, there's never been a big discussion. We talk about place names, Indigenous languages, local populations, disadvantage, Asutralian history...all sorts of things.

If I were explaining off-the-bat who Indigenous Australians are, I'd say they're the descendants of the people who lived in this land first - who lived off of the land and cared for the land for tens of thousands of years before any other people lived here. What else/what depth I'd go into would depend on the context, age and interest of the child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I'd start by explaining that Indigenous people were the first people who lived in Australia.

My DD hasnt asked but I think its because our daycare director was Indigenous and was great at educating the children and explaining special days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The word aboriginal means original inhabitants of a land so you can start there. Our history is relatively easy to explain in that you say how the aboriginal people were in Aus first and they moved around the land living in different places. Then one day an explorer sailed on to the coast of Australia and brought people from England to live. Since then, people from all over the world have moved to Australia.

You could find some dreaming stories and explain that the aboriginal people loved to teach people how to live through their stories.

I'm a school teacher, but not if yr 2, but hopefully he's been exposed to some indigenous history or literature at school. The indigenous culture of Australia is very rich

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd recently asked me this and of course I was driving so couldnt show her anything but I explained that they were the first people in Australia before other people came to Australia. We have since taken to a local train station where some beautiful aboriginal art work is displayed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would explain that aboriginal people were the first people to live in Australia. They lived off the land until Britain had no more room in its gaols so decided to come here with their convicts. When they did, they claimed the land was terra nullius because there were no roads or buildings and took over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogis Mumma View Post
    The word aboriginal means original inhabitants of a land so you can start there. Our history is relatively easy to explain in that you say how the aboriginal people were in Aus first and they moved around the land living in different places. Then one day an explorer sailed on to the coast of Australia and brought people from England to live. Since then, people from all over the world have moved to Australia.

You could find some dreaming stories and explain that the aboriginal people loved to teach people how to live through their stories.

I'm a school teacher, but not if yr 2, but hopefully he's been exposed to some indigenous history or literature at school. The indigenous culture of Australia is very rich
    That's kind of how I worded it. Hopefully it made sense to the little dude.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma  (10-05-2017)