+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default real estate career. any advice!

Hi girls. So I am craving a career change and I've been looking into real estate a little bit. Its easy to get into, qualification wise (online, self paced study). I can't do a bachelor or anything like that as I need to work and juggle kids.

Any pros or cons about the realestate industry? whats it like? tell me everything! how you started? ect.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Gosh where do I start!
    Did you want to get into sales, property management or PA? How old are your kids?

I will be brutally honest in my response , I started in Real Estate in Sydney straight from school at 18 as a receptionist, then went full time sales at 20, opened my own office 14 years later and now at the ripe old age of 45 I have 27 years experience , 25 selling and 11 owning an office so I can say I've seen it all!

Firstly the pros: it's not a boring office job, you are out and about most of the day, you meet a variety of people, you get to see some awesome (and horrible !) homes , you can choose to work as much/little as you want , it's lovely getting great money for lovely owners, it awesome finding buyers their dream home, once established you can make great money

Here's the long list of cons:
    It will take you at least 5 years to make decent money , the award wage is not worth it for the hours you do, you only get paid commissions when you sell the home (minimum 12 weeks from start to finish ) and only if you meet your targets, once you are at that level you have to work harder to maintain it, its extremely competitive not only with other offices but within your own, weekends are lost forever, holidays outside Xmas (when the office closes) are impossible, you will receive emails and calls 24 hours a day , if you choose not to work long hours or do take extended holidays you will lose money, people blame you for everything , your income will always be inconsistent and probably the biggest one for mothers, it's almost impossible to do with young children , I've seen and employed great female agents but it's just too hard to maintain the hours and unpredictability of the hours (when a vendor wants to sign up at 8pm or a buyer wants to sign a contract on Sunday at 8am and they give you an hours notice you can't say no (well you can but you will lose the commission) so all the great female agents are childless or their kids are at least in high school , I still sell part time, I choose the listings I want and have a ton of support from mum, sister, SIL who can take DS at a minutes notice plus I have a PA and I can work from home because I own the business, I'm also lucky as DH runs the business with me so understands it , most real estate spouses don't as the late nights and unpredictably is hard on a relationship

I don't mean to sound negative but just want to let you know what the reality is!

Let me know if you have any questions on how it all works! (If you haven't run for the hills )

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of my friends started a career as a sales agent two years ago. She was married with an eighteen month old at the time. Her marriage soon broke down due to the drastic changes within their life - as the PP said, weekends were a thing of the past. Her start times were early and her finish times unpredictable. It threw her little boys sleep completely out of whack as her XH would try and keep him up for her. After they separated she really struggled to maintain momentum as she just didn't have the hours to give. She's doing quite well now but she has no idea how she'll juggle it with her son starting school next year!

She loves it, but is not entirely sure the stress and sacrifices are worth it. Sales really isn't family friendly

I also have a friend who works in real estate admin, in a fantastic and flexible agency. She's able to work from home a couple of days a week as she has 2 young kids. Maybe a more flexible option you could look at?

Good luck with your choice! Career change is exciting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can vouch for commercial real estate. No weekend work required and it's generally a bit more laid back. No emotional homeowners/buyers to deal with. The sales / leases are a bit more hard work but pay off big time in the end. I've been in real estate for 6 years with 2 years now in property management and I love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your replies. Very eye opening. I have a 6 year old and 2 year old. With absolutely no family around and a DH that works full time. I was thinking of just starting at reception or even rentals and try to get into sales later when my kids are older and I'm more familiar with the industry. How did you girls get your foot in the door? what study did you do?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to katieerin For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (11-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I did the full time Licenseing course straight from school (TAFE) then started in reception (best place to start as you get to see everything!) then two years later sales - I was child free for 19 years so have built up huge database , I was on commission only for about 7 years before opening up our office in 2005

My PA is awesome, she started 3 days a week when her kids started school (9-5) then now 10 years later she has teenagers and works 9-6pm and Saturdays (day off during the week) she's on 90k plus bonuses so yes a sales assistant/PA would be a great start !

Rentals - I hate and would never do it but keep you options opened!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 11-05-2017 at 07:29.