+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default what can i expect in delivering at 15 weeks...

Sorry I know this is a terrible question to ask but i need to know what to expect from a purely physical point of view so I can sleep at night. My biggest nightmare is coming true.

I'm based in Melbourne and I may need to terminate for medical reasons at 15 weeks.

What can I expect? My OB said I wouldn't be eligible for D&C and they would have to induce me in hospital.

Should I ask for an epidural for this? I do not want to experience any or very minimal physical pain, as I'll have enough to deal with on the emotional/psychological side of things.

Can anyone comment on what my options here would be and what their experience were like?

Please please leave all emotional stuff out of it (e.g. holding the baby after etc in order to cope).. I know that this helped some people but I am purely interested in the physical side for now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Simil For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simil View Post
    Sorry I know this is a terrible question to ask but i need to know what to expect from a purely physical point of view so I can sleep at night. My biggest nightmare is coming true.

I'm based in Melbourne and I may need to terminate for medical reasons at 15 weeks.

What can I expect? My OB said I wouldn't be eligible for D&C and they would have to induce me in hospital.

Should I ask for an epidural for this? I do not want to experience any or very minimal physical pain, as I'll have enough to deal with on the emotional/psychological side of things.

Can anyone comment on what my options here would be and what their experience were like?

Please please leave all emotional stuff out of it (e.g. holding the baby after etc in order to cope).. I know that this helped some people but I am purely interested in the physical side for now.
    This breaks my heart, I'm so sorry to hear you have to go through this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nattie84 For This Useful Post:

Simil  (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had a similar experience but at 23 weeks. I'm not in the right place emotionally to explain it now but @M'LadyEm might be able to, she was very very helpful to me.

I'm so incredibly sorry this is happening.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hey Hun here in SA you can have a d & c at 15wks. My old boss had one for medical reasons aswell so it is possible yes

I had one at 13 wks back in 2006 for medical reasons on the babies part

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Why would my OB tell me that I am not eligible for D&C any more as I am too far along. I am based in Melbourne... I would be 14 or 15 weeks. So confusing. I would prefer D&C or surgical abortion if i could find out that there is a high chance they won't damage anything leaving me infertile.

Thanks everyone who replied... any more responses would be really really welcomed. I can't seem to find much online.

I think I need a second opinion. I won't ever go back to this OB.
    Last edited by Simil; 10-05-2017 at 17:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

***potential trigger***
    @Simil I am happy to give you a rundown of what we do where I work if you like. It may differ slightly to what is done at your hospital, so please keep that in mind.

Firstly, the pregnancy needs to be terminated prior to the induction. Ethically you cannot induce labour on a live fetus. Once the pregnancy has been terminated, the induction can go ahead.

We use misoprostil. It is inserted vaginally as close to the cervix as possible. Given that lubricants affect its ability to absorb, a couple of drops of sterile water is all we can use to lubricate. This can mean the vaginal examination is uncomfortable as there isn't as much lubrication. The more relaxed your body is though, the easier and quicker it can be done. Subsequent doses of the misoprostil are given every 6-8hrs (I can't remember off the top of my head). The aim of the misoprostil is to soften and dilate your cervix. You can expect to experience some cramping. Kind of like really really bad period cramps. Heat packs and pain relief will be your friends. Take whatever is offered if you need something. At 15 weeks we would not routinely offer an epidural. This is something you will need to talk to your doctor about. The process can take some time. It's not uncommon for it to take up to 24hrs from first dose of misoprostil. It really all depends on how your body responds. The closer the drug is placed to your cervix the better chance of it working which is why it's important to allow your body to relax as much as possible while the misoprostil is being inserted. At 15 weeks, the cervix will not have to be fully dilated to allow the baby to deliver. Usually it happens very quickly. A midwife will need to be in attendance at this time. The placenta should follow on its own soon after. You may also be offered an injection of syntocinon to help the placenta separate and reduce risk of bleeding. It is imperative that no one tries to deliver the placenta and allows it to deliver on its own. The cord is so friable that it will snap if someone tries to pull on it and you'll end up in theatre for a manual removal. Bear in mind this may *still* happen if the placenta doesn't deliver itself within an hour or so. You can still expect some bleeding afterwards too like a heavy period.

Now where I work anything under 20 weeks will generally deliver on the ward, not in the birthing suite. This may differ depending on the hospital you deliver at does. An epidural will restrict you quite a lot. It is unlikely (but not impossible) they will give you an epidural as there's no knowing when the baby will deliver. They should be happy to offer you things like panadeine forte/morphine for your pain as well as heat packs.

I hope that makes sense. Feel free to PM me if you need.
    Last edited by M'LadyEm; 10-05-2017 at 17:50.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (14-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

I am so so sorry to read this. Please look after yourself and much love sent to you and your DH. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Double post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'll PM you as I don't want to upset anyone with the details. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Why would my OB tell me that I am not eligible for D&C any more as I am too far along. I am based in Melbourne... I would be 14 or 15 weeks. So confusing. I would prefer D&C or surgical abortion if i could find out that there is a high chance they won't damage anything leaving me infertile.

Thanks everyone who replied... any more responses would be really really welcomed. I can't seem to find much online.

I think I need a second opinion. I won't ever go back to this OB.
    Are you going public or private?