+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Child misbehaving at sport

My child is 6 and is in year 1 so is still prone to moments of silliness at times during group activities. But what do you do when you're sitting on the sidelines and your child is being a right little turd and doesn't snap out of it after a few minutes but continues on for the rest of the lesson?

To be fair I expect him to have moments of silliness, and I know they have off days from time to time but today was a shocker for my son. He sulked after missing some balls and decided to sulk for the rest of the lesson after that

I caught myself yelling out to him when he threw his ball down. After the lesson he sulked off without acknowledging the teacher! Obviously I talked to him later but the whole thing was not cool, and frankly, embarrassing. I wasn't sure if I should just take him off or just sit back and let the coach deal with it. The coach was great and tried to encourage my son whilst also giving him time to just sulk it out.

What us is the etiquette at sports? Was I wrong to yell out to my son his name so he looked over and I shook my head at him to tell him to stop? It was an instantaneous reaction to be honest... the kids are still young and just starting out but at the same time I think my darling son just went to far today and deserved a bit of reprimanding at that point.

Ahhh, thanks for those silent stares from the other parents on the sideline! I'm sorry, has your child never had a bad day before?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I can't help you with what to do but our school says research shows only kids over age 8 - or from 4th class onwards have the concentration and skills to play proper organised team sports so at school the kids from k-year 3 do heaps of sport and training but not full on games as you can't expect them at that age to be able to concentrate properly- plus some kids are naturally great at sports and some are not so maybe your DS is just too young or just not into that particular game? I think if he's not interested maybe try something else as you don't want him to hate going?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

deedee8  (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I can't help you with what to do but our school says research shows only kids over age 8 - or from 4th class onwards have the concentration and skills to play proper organised team sports so at school the kids from k-year 3 do heaps of sport and training but not full on games as you can't expect them at that age to be able to concentrate properly- plus some kids are naturally great at sports and some are not so maybe your DS is just too young or just not into that particular game? I think if he's not interested maybe try something else as you don't want him to hate going?
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense!

I shoukd have mentiined he loves it. He did a week-long clinic in the school holidays and loved it so I put him in lessons. He also does swimming and loves that too. It was just today that was a shocker. I wasn't sure if I should just take him home or let the coach deal with it.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my thoughts, just let the coach deal with it. Pretty much, no matter what age, or what sport, I think the coach has the first and final say, while the game is in progress. If there is something that the coach needs to know or that the coach needs to tell the parent, then after the game is the time for that. I don't think you did anything wrong, but some sport associations, have very strict rules governing the behaviour of the parents on the sidelines. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My thoughts... at 6 you can get involved. At 8 or older coach deals with it.

I'm sure coaches want parents to sit back and let them do their job. But they can rip it up a 6yo like mum can

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Child misbehaving at sport

It can be tricky in their first year of sport.
    My ds1 was all over the shop and we constantly had to step in. He just had no interest, although he kept telling us that he really wanted to play.

At age 7.5, he's much better.. I guess he's developed a passion for it so his concentration has improved.

He still has issues at swimming lessons - but that is much better when he has a strict teacher who won't let him play up.

From my experience, it does get better as they get older.

DS2's soccer coach's son is 6. The boy has no interest in playing whatsoever, last week the kid sat on the ground and refused to play, leaving us 1 player short.The coach finds it a struggle, you can just see it.

You're not alone x
    Last edited by misho; 11-05-2017 at 19:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does your son like being there? Does he enjoy it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why don't you ask the coach what they would prefer. Something along the lines of "sorry XX was a handful at training the other night, I wasn't sure whether to intervene to try to improve his behaviour or to stand back and let you handle it?, in future what would you prefer I did to make your job a little easier ?"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (11-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The way I'm reading this you where at school while he was having a class lesson ? I'd speak to him and but the teacher needs to deal with it to.

If it where the sidelines of a sporting club and he where older I'd get the coach to say something first then speak on the way home. Ds plays footy for the local club and one of his best mates dad is also the coach and I've told him that if he is to muck up then he is to discipline him in front of the team which he will do for all the kids including his own which is on the same team.