+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help please - 4 week old awake too long at night

My 4 week old sleeps wonderfully during the day and wakes for 3.5-4 hourly feeds (formula fed).
    The problem is nights. She sleeps till 10/11pm fine but when she wakes for a bottle at this time she won't go back to sleep for hours on end and we only have success after a second bottle usually 1.5-2 hours after the first one (and even then there's a lot of effort required with rocking, patting, sushing etc). After the second feed at this time she will sleep a decent stretch again and it's often 6-7 hours between her feeds.
    At first I thought she might just have her days and nights mixed but we make a real effort to make them different. Day sleeps have lots of noise and light and we're often out and about then at night it's very quiet and we feed her in the dark and no play time etc.
    Has anyone had his experience before? How can I get her back to sleep at night just as she does during the day?
    I have pnd (2nd time) and I think the main cause is due to lack of sleep and anxiety about sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have a noise machine that hangs off the bsssinet that plays either white noise, a heartbeat, ocean waves or a lullaby. At around that age bub needed some noise even though room was dark because she was so used to sleeping through all the day time activity. She's now 11 weeks and we barely need it as she gets the night/day difference now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Girl View Post
    We have a noise machine that hangs off the bsssinet that plays either white noise, a heartbeat, ocean waves or a lullaby. At around that age bub needed some noise even though room was dark because she was so used to sleeping through all the day time activity. She's now 11 weeks and we barely need it as she gets the night/day difference now.
    I actually have a white noise machine that we use for each sleep already. It sounds like it may be the same one that you have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's been super handy! Other than that I tried leaving bub in her bassinet for her feed so it wouldn't wake her right up and then gently picking her up and burping her without moving from beside the bassinet.

Weeks 3 to 5 were hell weeks for us, so maybe it's growth or changes going on at about that time that kind of mess their patterns up a bit. Perseverance is key!!

Good luck mumma

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my son, if I tried to burp him after a feed at night, it would take him about an hour and a half/2 hours to go back down, by which point I would feed him again so I didn't have to get up again in an hour. When I stopped burping him after feeds, he would go straight back down (then about 8 weeks his sleep turned to poo and that 2 hour awake period once or twice a night didn't seem so bad.

With my daughter, if I don't burp her thoroughly, she won't go back to sleep. And it can take up to 45 minutes for me to get all the air up. If I don't she will squirm and grunt and toss side to side and throw her legs around. For ages.... til I give up and get her back up to burp her again. Usually I don't let it go on too long these days because I already know what the outcome will be!

Could you try to do a dream feed just before she wakes at 10, and hopefully skip the waking part?

She may still have the days and nights confused. I know you make them very different, but it might take a while for her circadian rhythms to adjust.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We experienced the same issue with our first DD. Most things we tried worked but swaddling and playing white noise certainly calmed her the most. You can find long clips (5hr+) from youtube. The ones we bookmarked are and used frequently are:
    twinkling starts with static sound:
    https://www.youtube....h?v=N4yzbDGiL20
    twinkling stars with vacuum noise
    https://www.youtube....h?v=Y6KSsCItYF4
    white noise with heartbeat
    https://www.youtube....h?v=Y6KSsCItYF4

Our second DD responded better to dummies and rocking so the above may not work on all babies. But I guess anything is worth a try.

Not knowing what to do is frustrating and draining but you'll eventually figure out what will work for your bub. Hang in there.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Try keeping light on at night

Only thing i can think of is a night light or some relaxing music..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was just thinking back and I remember keeping Bub awake a little longer each night for a few nights so she went down later and was awake during the dinner time activity going on and that helped her sleep longer (with feeds about every 5 hours overnight until about 8 weeks). By longer I mean in total. She would go back to sleep easier through the night by putting her down a little later. Obviously there is a fine line before overtired happens and getting Bub down at all is a struggle but little by little we got there. Now at 12 weeks she goes down anywhere between 7.30 and 9.30pm and wakes at about 4.30am, has a quick bottle and back down until 8ish.