+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Measuring big/ahead

Hi ladies,

Just wanting to hear people's experience with regards to their babies measuring large or ahead of dates late in their pregnancies.

I was told at 15 weeks I had GD (I have had weight loss surgery so needed to be tested earlier then normal) and it is completely diet control and my BGL have always been within range. Because of the GD I have had 2 extra growth scans to monitor him at 28w and again today at 32w.
    Bubs body and head measurements have always been spot on with his legs a few days ahead (hubby is 6'4 so baby was never going to be short) but at today's scan he is measuring at 34w all over and I am only 32+2. The sonographer also said his tummy really is "up there" in terms of where it should be for this gestation.

Last midwife appointment I had at 28w my uterus/bump was measuring 33cm which they said was slightly big but put it down to bubs being head up and sitting high - scan showed today he is now head down.
    I have a midwife appointment tomorrow so will see what they say then, but I just want to know if anyone else has had this issue, where bubs all of a sudden shoots up in size (whether you had GD or not) and if your baby came early as a result.

Thanks 😋

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't help you with the gestational diabetes part as I didn't have it, but I was measuring big, including a scan at 41 weeks showing baby was over 10 pounds! But my ob gave me confidence that everything was ok and I went into spontaneous labour 2 days later and had a big healthy baby and a quick recovery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had GD with both my pregnancies which was diet controlled. DD1 was induced 9 days early as my sugars starting spiralling out of control and was 3.18kg (I'm very small myself). She did grow a lot early on but slowed up once the GD was picked up and my diet changed
    DD2 was induced 10 days early due to her stomach being off the chart, the rest of her was measuring about 39 wks but ob was concerned about stomach size. She was 3.44kg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was measuring big with all three of my pregnancies... my son was in the 97th percentile and all his measurements were 2-3 weeks ahead... every person asked if I had GD but no, I just have big babies...

DD2 measured 2 weeks ahead consistently except for her head which always was to date... my dd1 was breach and my uterus measurements were always huge for that reason.

I did have my children early 37 weeks, 36 weeks and 38 weeks due to hypertension which creeps up on me around 32 weeks which is something to keep an eye on if you are carrying big (it was explained to me that big babies can put a bit of added pressure on the heart but it obviously can happen with smaller babies as well)

Try not to worry... besides the back ache big babies are awesome ☺☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My bubs always measured 3 - 4 weeks ahead. No gd. Both healthy bubs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Tinkers were they 3-4 weeks early given they were measuring that far ahead? Or on time/late still?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Measuring big/ahead

I measured 5 weeks ahead from about 32 weeks. Scan at 35 weeks was saying that Bub was going to be over 5kg.

Bub was 4.165kg and 10 days overdue.

ETA - no GD.
    Last edited by Baby Girl; 17-05-2017 at 03:19.