+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Struggling to get 5 year old to drink..any tips?

Does he eat a good amount high water content foods like fruit and veggies? Watermelon, cucumber, capsicum, tomatoes, strawberries and broccoli are all 90% water so help with the daily requirements- would he like the drink bottles with the fruit infused in them?
    The recommended intake for 4-8 year olds is 5 glasses of water a day (including what you get from food)
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 10-05-2017 at 15:52.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (10-07-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    I'm not sure what you're basing this on? I unless someone has a medical condition I don't know why they would become dehydrated on a daily basis?
    There is a plethora of information available. Next time you visit your GP ask for their opinion on your hydration. You might be surprised. Medical research says that women should be consuming (including foods and other non water drinks) 2.7L a day to stay fully hydrated and men 3.7L. Obviously children would need less. Even at 3% dehydration your urine will be yellow. Like I said, most symptoms of dehydration don't show until a level of what is considered severe dehydration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Girl View Post
    There is a plethora of information available. Next time you visit your GP ask for their opinion on your hydration. You might be surprised. Medical research says that women should be consuming (including foods and other non water drinks) 2.7L a day to stay fully hydrated and men 3.7L. Obviously children would need less. Even at 3% dehydration your urine will be yellow. Like I said, most symptoms of dehydration don't show until a level of what is considered severe dehydration.
    But if there are no symptoms, then how is it a problem exactly? There may be a lot of opinion out there but it's hardly definitive and universally accepted amongst academics. My uni physiology lecturer for example said humans should get most of their daily hydration needs from their food intake and there's no need to be carrying water bottles around at all.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deedee8 For This Useful Post:

Mambo  (10-05-2017),Renn  (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee8 View Post
    But if there are no symptoms, then how is it a problem exactly? There may be a lot of opinion out there but it's hardly definitive and universally accepted amongst academics. My uni physiology lecturer for example said humans should get most of their daily hydration needs from their food intake and there's no need to be carrying water bottles around at all.
    This.
    Admittedly my uni studies in physiology were over a decade ago(feeling old!) but I don't believe in healthy children and adults that dehydration is as prevalent or as serious as mentioned in this thread. I certainly would not be recommending using juice or cordial (diet or otherwise) to entice a healthy child with no obvious symptoms of clinical dehydration to drink.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mambo For This Useful Post:

Renn  (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girl barely drinks. I'm constantly reminding her! She has lots of veggies and fruits with lunch (tomatoes, cucumber, strawberries, raspberries etc) plus capsicum and apples as snacks. She wees 3 times a day - when she first wakes up around 8, at 2 after her lunch and then before her shower around 7.30 ish. Occasionally she will go more often but generally not.
    I just keep reminding. It can help if you set a timer and they drink when it goes off (she quite enjoys that) or doing 'cheers' with my bottle on hers every time I drink.

Thanks
    Reviews

Omg I wasn't implying that you or your child were severely dehydrated. Just simply stating that many of the world population don't actually understand how dehydration can affect the body until things like headaches and what not are present.

You asked for suggestions on ways to get a child to drink more, kids enjoy juice and sweet things so maybe it is an option. Personally I give my children fresh squeezed juice and they love it! When they were younger I would mix it half and half with water. And while I don't give my children cordial or soft drink, diet or otherwise, some parents may be happy to and therefore it may have been a valid suggestion for those parents, which for all I know could be the OP. I assumed infused fruit water would have already been tried.

Note taken, avoid any future threads of yours if I plan to take the 2 mins out of my day to provide a suggestion that if you don't agree with you could simply ignore because god forbid I follow the thread because it pops up in my feed and happen to comment further about something related.

FYI (not that it's any of your goddamn business) - my daughter does suffer from a medical condition that does require us to constantly monitor her hydration and I did not realise the extent lack of it could affect a body until this became a part of our daily lives.
    Last edited by Baby Girl; 10-05-2017 at 19:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got a friend whose daughter doesn't drink much. She's been doing fruit infused water bottles with some success. The favourites were watermelon and strawberry; and lemon, orange and mint. She's also taken to giving her (cooled to an approptiate temperature) camomile tea, or a vanilla flavoured rooibos tea. No caffeine in them and her daughter feels special and grown up having a cup of tea with mummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh wow I thought my DD (6) was the only whacko who barely ever drinks. Her drink bottle comes home from school untouched 99% of the time. When she's home she never asks for a drink, although will happily have juice or milk if the other kids are having one. She eats heaps of fruit and veg every day though so I guess that must be enough to keep her hydrated? Both my boys on the other hand are always having sips from their drink bottles. I gave up pestering her about it because it never changed her behaviour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Girl View Post
    Omg I wasn't implying that you or your child were severely dehydrated. Just simply stating that many of the world population don't actually understand how dehydration can affect the body until things like headaches and what not are present.

You asked for suggestions on ways to get a child to drink more, kids enjoy juice and sweet things so maybe it is an option. Personally I give my children fresh squeezed juice and they love it! When they were younger I would mix it half and half with water. And while I don't give my children cordial or soft drink, diet or otherwise, some parents may be happy to and therefore it may have been a valid suggestion for those parents, which for all I know could be the OP. I assumed infused fruit water would have already been tried.

Note taken, avoid any future threads of yours if I plan to take the 2 mins out of my day to provide a suggestion that if you don't agree with you could simply ignore because god forbid I follow the thread because it pops up in my feed and happen to comment further about something related.

FYI (not that it's any of your goddamn business) - my daughter does suffer from a medical condition that does require us to constantly monitor her hydration and I did not realise the extent lack of it could affect a body until this became a part of our daily lives.
    This seems unnecessarily aggressive. We can all disagree and put our opinions forward, and I think the points made opposing yours were done respectfully. Maybe this topic is a sensitive one for you. I'm sorry your child has a medical condition but the op did not mention children with an illness which is why I referred to healthy children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know what you mean - my DD goes to school on Monday with a 250ml poptop and it lasts her THE WHOLE WEEK! And there's usually some left over! (Ok, maybe I should be giving her fresh water every day, but she doesn't drink it anyway so I don't see the point.)

At home, I give my kids diluted juice. I dilute it to 30% juice, 70% water. I use 100% orange juice and after being diluted, it's about 3% sugar. That's about the same amount of sugar that you'd find in a plum, cabbage, snap peas etc. So I think diluted juice is better than no drink at all if your little one won't drink.

You could also dilute milk. Are you open to diluting other drinks or is it strictly water for you?