+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Struggling to get 5 year old to drink..any tips?

My ds is nearly 5 and barely drinks, I have to be on him about it constantly or he will go all day and not drink. He goes to kindy 2 days a week and when I pick him up his drink bottle hasn't been touched. He would happily drink milk all day but I'm trying to keep him off dairy and would really like him to drink water.. how much should he be drinking and does anyone have any tips on getting him to drink more?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried half and half with juice and water? Or maybe fresh squeezed juice of his favourite fruit/s? Cordial as a last resort (they do have sugar free ones now)?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Baby Girl For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD isn't a big drinker either, never has been. I have to continually remind her, or hand her drink bottle to her throughout the day. I try and remind her of the benefits of drinking water and why it's necessary (I'm lucky that she'll ONLY drink water and nothing else - just not enough of it!). I think they just get too busy. Slowly but surely she's starting to drink more at kindy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Girl View Post
    Have you tried half and half with juice and water? Or maybe fresh squeezed juice of his favourite fruit/s? Cordial as a last resort (they do have sugar free ones now)?
    I have tried with orange juice but I I really didn't want to have to give him that everyday several times a day but I might have to if I can't find another solution

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I hear ya! But better to be drinking something with water in it rather than nothing. My eldest was, and still is, a milk junkie so I stopped fighting with her about it and let her drink milk at meal times but not all day. When she started school I'd do half and half juice in her drink bottle and she would drink it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Baby Girl For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is my DD when she is at school, I feel your pain. (She is 8). My best chance of getting her to drink is cold water with ice with lemon squeezed in it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I may be totally wrong here but don't kids just drink when they need it? My kids have their water bottles with them wherever they go and I might offhandedly ask them if they are thirsty but I don't pay want attention to how much they've actually drunk. I just assume at the end of the day if they're not dehydrated they're fine!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mambo For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    I may be totally wrong here but don't kids just drink when they need it? My kids have their water bottles with them wherever they go and I might offhandedly ask them if they are thirsty but I don't pay want attention to how much they've actually drunk. I just assume at the end of the day if they're not dehydrated they're fine!
    Most people are not adequately hydrated, kids included. Unfortunately many people mistake thirst for hunger and therefore don't get enough fluid intake. The signs of dehydration are varied and it isn't until we reach a level of severe hydration that the more recognised symptoms appear.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baby Girl For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (10-05-2017),smallpotatoes  (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Girl View Post
    Most people are not adequately hydrated, kids included. Unfortunately many people mistake thirst for hunger and therefore don't get enough fluid intake. The signs of dehydration are varied and it isn't until we reach a level of severe hydration that the more recognised symptoms appear.
    I'm not sure what you're basing this on? I unless someone has a medical condition I don't know why they would become dehydrated on a daily basis?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    This is my DD when she is at school, I feel your pain. (She is 8). My best chance of getting her to drink is cold water with ice with lemon squeezed in it.
    I will try the lemon in his water and see how we go. Today he has had one sip of water and only done one wee and that was when he woke up this morning, it's now nearly 5pm