+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can I pull my child out of prep to repeat in 2018?

We're in Vic, my son turned 5 in Feb. he started school this year, prep.
    Academically he's doing brilliant, he's level 9 for reading while the rest of the class (except one girl) is on levels 1-3. He's doing well with writing and maths.
    However socially he's struggling. He's also doing things like scribbling on work and cutting up things he shouldn't with scissors. Also he's (sometimes) using his hands to hurt others.
    I'm wondering if I should ride it out and wait for him to mature for grade 1 or pull him out now and he does grade prep next year.
    I don't think the school will allow it though.
    Your thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Your son may have other issues that arent related to maturity and pulling him out may not resolve these issues. He may not have any issues at all and may just be struggling socially.. in which case id keep him in school but try and help him build social awareness and confidence. There are heaps of books on the topic.. engaging him in social activities outside of school and working with him to find out why he struggles socially is a good first step.

The hurting others and cutting things up he shouldnt.. is he able to justify why he does this? This may need to be evaluated by a professional. How is he hurting others? Is he perhaps doing it because he feels socially isolated to gain attention? This doesnt make it right but finding out the reason is the first step even if you need to see a psychologist with him to do so.

I think if he reads at such high level he should be able to verbalise why he hurts other kids.. at least with a professional.

Scribbling things etc seems minor and this wouldnt worry me too much personally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, thanks for your reply.
    The last time he cut something he said he was bored.
    I'm having a chat to the school Thursday so I'll get more info as to what's been happening.
    What things can we read to build these things up?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can I pull my child out of prep to repeat in 2018?

Sometimes 5 year olds get bored. Its a good age to teach him appropriate and inappropriate behaviour when bored.

Hands are not for hitting - by Martine Agassi

The Social Skills Picture Book Teaching play, emotion, and communication to children with autism- jed baker (i know your child doesnt have autism but this is a good book).

No biting by karen katz

http://www.friendshipcircle.org/blog...-make-friends/

Google these books as my links dont work

Ready to use social skills lessons and activities for grades

Children with social emotional and behavioural difficulties and communication problems by melanie cross

There are heaps more you could google.
    Last edited by Simil; 09-05-2017 at 19:22.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Simil For This Useful Post:

Rebecca79  (09-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't pull him out, I think he will just then be bored academically next year and perhaps these behaviours maybe worse when he's not stimulated by the work. Working on his social skills might be a better approach. Perhaps chat with the teacher for a start to bring up your concerns and develop a plan to see what might be contributing to the behaviour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My eldest repeated Prep. It was the best decision for him. He was just too young the first time round. The second time it was like a whole new child. The difference from beginning to end of the year was huge. You may find your son settles though xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    How was he going academically bluerhino?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Academically he was struggling, he was just too immature to care I think. The second year was very different. They did suggest if he repeated Prep he would be bored but I went with my gut and he didn't get bored, he thrived.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Legally he doesn't have to attend school until next year so you should be able to pull him out but definitely speak to the school first about other remedies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @amyd what's the rule that applies? I thought they went to school if they turn 5 before 30 April? (I'd love to know if there's another way of looking at it! Sorry Op not meaning to hijack!)

OP my son's school has a counsellor on staff. Is there anything similar that might help at your son's school? Did any of these behaviours happen at kinder for him?