+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How does NAPLAN work for year 3 in particular??

Reading lots of comments about NAPLAN on Facebook and it's got me thinking, how does it work?

I'm in particular interested about year 3, as ds1 will be doing it next year.

He's not a silly boy but he's about 6 months behind his peers generally, which kinda worries me a bit - I can imagine him only bothering to answer 1 question and then daydreaming for the rest of the exam and not bothering to do it!

I'm not interested in the 'boycott/ don't do it' type talk please...

I'm more curious as to what teachers do when they have kids similar to mine, and what do the year 3 results represent.

I really don't want to get into the political side of it, just some answers from people who have had experience with it. Thanks!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I was talking to my sons teacher yesterday. My eldest is in grade 3 so doing it next year. She said for them (education department in general), they moreso just use it as a baseline to gauge how they're improving by year 5. They (the school) use it as an inschool tool alongside others, to see which areas a specific kid is lacking and concentrate on that more for that individual child in future. E.g of my son gets all the graph questions wrong, she will know she needs to work on that with him.

Edited to clarify. Wrote in a rush.
    Last edited by Ahalfdozen; 09-05-2017 at 15:06.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

misho  (09-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad you asked this. My dd will be in grade 3 next year and I was also wondering the same thing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

misho  (09-05-2017)

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    the results dont really represent anything.

the aim of the tests is for educators in general to know approximately where each state/nationally year 3 students are at in terms of Numeracy and Literacy. Its actually not supposed to be about your child ... but about all children in the state/area and where in the curriculum they (the average) are up to.

They will give you a report showing your childs results and where they sit on the national average and your school average .... BUT .... it doesnt mean much in general.

You say that you know your child is about 6 months behind ... and this will tell you whether that means that he is around the rest of the class, or below the rest of the class ... and what the national average is (so maybe you might think he is behind, but actually your school is way ahead so he is around the average).

BUT

testing - especially in year 3 and 5 - where the kids are so young, they have not sat these tests before .... its not usually reflective of the abilities of the child. As you say - they are just as likely not to bother answering the questions - or alternatively being so nervous and worried about them that they dont do well. Other students/school focus so heavily on them that it skews the results the other way ... teach to the test and try to make their school look better.

so overall - the results are a bit meaningless on an individual basis.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

misho  (09-05-2017),Purple Poppy  (09-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    someone in the mean time mentioned the schools use them to look at improvement - I have to say, my school has never used them.

They should (and DD;s school certainly does) know already where each kid is at and what areas they need improvement in.

The "improvement" from year 3 to year 5 isnt always a good measure - as the tests are a snapshot ... one test on one day. If the child was sick, or nervous or anxious or upset on the test day in year 3, and over it by year 5 the improvement is going to be massive .... but that doesnt reflect the learning or ability of the child, just the vagaries of the testing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

misho  (09-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    the results dont really represent anything.

the aim of the tests is for educators in general to know approximately where each state/nationally year 3 students are at in terms of Numeracy and Literacy. Its actually not supposed to be about your child ... but about all children in the state/area and where in the curriculum they (the average) are up to.

They will give you a report showing your childs results and where they sit on the national average and your school average .... BUT .... it doesnt mean much in general.

You say that you know your child is about 6 months behind ... and this will tell you whether that means that he is around the rest of the class, or below the rest of the class ... and what the national average is (so maybe you might think he is behind, but actually your school is way ahead so he is around the average).

BUT

testing - especially in year 3 and 5 - where the kids are so young, they have not sat these tests before .... its not usually reflective of the abilities of the child. As you say - they are just as likely not to bother answering the questions - or alternatively being so nervous and worried about them that they dont do well. Other students/school focus so heavily on them that it skews the results the other way ... teach to the test and try to make their school look better.

so overall - the results are a bit meaningless on an individual basis.
    Thanks for this, coz I was kinda thinking they'd use it for high school entry - not that I'm planning to send him to a selective school - but I didn't want it to be used as a measurement of his knowledge at such an early age.

I'd say he's behind, he changed schools at year 1, and what should be the 'national curriculum' isn't so much 'national' yet - hence he is playing catch up in year 2. Hopefully by year 5 he'll be all good

Thanks
    Reviews

someone in the mean time mentioned the schools use them to look at improvement - I have to say, my school has never used them.

They should (and DD;s school certainly does) know already where each kid is at and what areas they need improvement in.

The "improvement" from year 3 to year 5 isnt always a good measure - as the tests are a snapshot ... one test on one day. If the child was sick, or nervous or anxious or upset on the test day in year 3, and over it by year 5 the improvement is going to be massive .... but that doesnt reflect the learning or ability of the child, just the vagaries of the testing.
    I should have actually mentioned, our school doesn't use it to measure their growth. The teacher just mentioned that some schools do and maybe the Department, I'm not sure.

Our school isn't really interested in NAPLAN, and we are too small for the results to qualify so they just use the test as a bit of a way to see if there are any gaps in the learning, just because it's there.
    They aren't really fussed on it at all. They have their own inschool stuff to keep track of how kids are doing anyway.

I edited my original one to specify. I use "they" way too loosely it seems
    Last edited by Ahalfdozen; 09-05-2017 at 15:08.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (09-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Thanks for this, coz I was kinda thinking they'd use it for high school entry - not that I'm planning to send him to a selective school - but I didn't want it to be used as a measurement of his knowledge at such an early age.

I'd say he's behind, he changed schools at year 1, and what should be the 'national curriculum' isn't so much 'national' yet - hence he is playing catch up in year 2. Hopefully by year 5 he'll be all good
    Dont stress about it - and dont let your son worry about it either.

I actually did find it quite good - just in the way of assessing where my DD and her school is at in comparison to the national average. As a way of judging where her school sits, and how much what they are saying to me about her abilities matches the national averages ... but its only in an 'oh thats interesting' kind of way.

You dont get the actual results either - just a banding. I will go take a pic if you want ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dont stress about it - and dont let your son worry about it either.

I actually did find it quite good - just in the way of assessing where my DD and her school is at in comparison to the national average. As a way of judging where her school sits, and how much what they are saying to me about her abilities matches the national averages ... but its only in an 'oh thats interesting' kind of way.

You dont get the actual results either - just a banding. I will go take a pic if you want ...
    Ye that would be great.

I think I'll stress more than him, he's very happy-go-lucky

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    I should have actually mentioned, our school doesn't use it to measure their growth. The teacher just mentioned that some schools do and maybe the Department, I'm not sure.

Our school isn't really interested in NAPLAN, and we are too small for the results to qualify so they just use the test as a bit of a way to see if there are any gaps in the learning, just because it's there.
    They aren't really fussed on it at all. They have their own inschool stuff to keep track of how kids are doing anyway.

I edited my original one to specify. I use "they" way too loosely it seems
    Yep ok, I think our measures their own too, but will be interested when they raise the topic as to how the school approaches it.

Thanks