+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default "Trigger warning ". Teenage depression

Hello possible trigger warning.

So we have just discovered my 16 year old daughter has been self harming.
    We have spoken to her and she said it's because of being bullied at school
    Spoke to the school and they are organising the councillor and if she gets bullied again to come and speak to someone straight away so they can be felt with.
    Have spoken to head space who is calling tomorrow for phone appointment then she goes on a waiting list to be seen also have a doctors appointment this afternoon for a let al health plan to get her a referral to a psychologist if head space waiting list is a while. Is there anything else I am missing?? We have had a good talk to her and trying to help every way we can. I have never been so scared in my life to lose my child because of someone else's insecurities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs. I have no advice but couldn't read and run. and

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm sorry to hear you and your family are dealing with this. It sounds like you are being really proactive. I have 2 further thoughts:
    1. Make sure she knows the kids help line number or similar and encourage her to ring if she feels really down.
    2. Does she have a mobile? Could you make a plan that she could text a code word to you or a trusted confidant that means she needs help and that person will ring and come pick her up etc ? This could be either when faced with bullying or when she is feeling down or has the urge to self harm.
    Big hugs, I hope you guys can work through this

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (09-05-2017)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

I dont have any advice - just . so scary

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have recently been through this with my 14yo DD (though not related to bullying ). WRT the self harming, many teens use it as a stress release, so it is important to help her find strategies to release the anxiety without hurting herself. We sat down and made a list of alternate activities she could do when she felt at risk, things she enjoyed - like drawing, going for a walk/run, coming and sitting with me, playing music etc. She put the list in her bedside drawer so she could get it out and read it when she felt bad. I asked her to make a commitment to do those things before self - harming. We also put together a box of things to do (notepad and pencils, book of poetry etc) and happy memory triggers (childhood stuff/photos/jokes) so she could easily access it when she felt at risk.
    We also used Headspace, and eventually low dose anti - depressants. The change since using the medication has been miraculous. My daughter recently said she wishes she had tried them earlier, so please don't write medication off if other things don't work. Sometimes a teens mood is too low for counseling /therapy to be helpful...

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

skydancer  (11-05-2017),smallpotatoes  (10-05-2017),sparklebug  (09-05-2017)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hugs, I don't have any expierence with this, but it seems to me you have taken the right steps. Such a scary thing, and don't forget to seek help and support for yourself. You should find someone you can lean on too. hugs, marie.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default "Trigger warning ". Teenage depression

What an awful place to be.
    We have a family member who has been going through this, everything Kaybaby has posted sums up what they have been doing, the child is still seeing her psychiatrist who basically just works with adolescents, the child hasn't self harmed in over a year. She too was given medication, there wasn't any progress really being made prior to it. She's now off the meds.

As your DD has told you it's due to bullying could you set up a meeting with the school, to discuss how they're going to deal with it, they need to help.
    Last edited by sparklebug; 09-05-2017 at 18:34. Reason: Spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou to all who commented.
    She seems in a much better frame of mind today. Whether it is because it's all out in the open or what but a different girl.
    Spoke to the school and they are going to tackle it their end with counsellor and help with a teacher if need be. Have an appointment with headspace next week and my work has been fantastic as well as there are resources available to immediate family members.
    It's sad how common it is but still not spoken about. Bullying needs to stop!!!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lese82 For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (10-05-2017),sparklebug  (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, first of all, you're doing the right things, inc the GP referral. Arm yourself, I say. For context, I'm a youth worker by trade (now in management in the sector).

Linking her in to out-of-school activities may help with the basic human need for positive social relationships - with peers. Suggestion would be contacting your local Council, as many have Youth Services teams who provide a range of programs (from recreation to social support to counselling) - and definitely if you have a local HeadSpace, they are a great place to start and don't be worried if she doesn't respond to the first person she speaks to. Like adults, she needs to find someone she can connect to.

It's also important for you to understand why she's self harming. Is it release, depression, working towards suiciding? HeadSpace should be able to support you in supporting your daughter too, or get your own referral from GP for someone to speak to. Your local Youth Workers can also arm you with local options and a range of support strategies.

All the best x