+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Is this racism?

During the AFL game this week - Matthew Pavlich was commentating ... and - when referring to a player who came in and wiped the ball ... another commentator said

"Brad Hill's steal was amazing"

Pavlich chimed in with "Michael Walters it was, but he did grow up in Midland" ... and laughed.

Now social media has carried on with a whole truckload of stuff - with people suggesting that it is 'casual racism'.

Respected elder Robbert Eddington said Pavlich's comment wasn't "funny".
    "It's not a joke nor is it acceptable because it reinforces stereotypes 90 per cent of people have about Aboriginal people," he said.

"It's subtle racism about young Noongar people in Midland.
    "It's subtle racism when it comes from anyone, but when it is a football commentator it is the worst kind of subtle racism."
    http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pavlichs-on-air-gaffe-about-dockers-star-could-land-him-in-hot-water-20170507-gvzz44.html

what do you think? Is it racism - or just a joke in poor taste?

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have no idea. I have zero interest in football of any sort, and I would know zero about any player. How is it an insult to refer to where someone has grown up ?? I have no idea and therefore I have no opinion. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hmm..... I don't know Midland or the sterotypes around it, so I don't really know.

Where I live, a similar slur might be "but he did grow up in Logan" or "but he did grow up in ipswich", which wouldn't be racist as such, but suburbist (hahah, I made up a word), and it quite possibly would upset people who live in those areas.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (09-05-2017),SuperGranny  (09-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's hard to answer without knowing the area and I had no idea where Midland was, so did a quick google search. Is it a suburb in Perth?
    The first link that I clicked was a website to give reviews of suburbs.

Second review in and there's this:
    "Midland is a very old town with reputation that paints it in a negative light. Being a resident here of nearly a year now, I can promise not all of it is true, but it isn't exactly Peppermint Grove either. Yes, it has lots of indigenous people, but I have never had any problems with the locals, white, black, yellow, brown or otherwise."

Another mentioned lots of crime and unkempt houses.

If that's the kind of reputation that it has, and assuming it's like some areas that I know of that a high population of Aboriginal people is the "reason" for things like crime rates etc that make them undesirable suburbs, I think it's casual racism.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't see it and don't follow football but it doesn't sound like it was meant as racism. Is the player aboriginal? I assume he is. I think the comment could have been made about a white player from Midland too. Midland is known as a high crime area. I grew up in an area that's considered not a nice area her in Perth too. (There's even barbed cyclone wire the whole way around the high school I went to ). If someone made a joke about me growing up there, I could take it as that person saying I was white trash or I could take it as a joke. The spirit in which something is said makes a world of difference.
    Most people who grew up in those type of areas don't see it as an embarrassment, often they joke about it too and almost wear it as a humorous badge of honour.

Was the player upset?
    Are the player and commentator friends?
    Would the commentator have made the same comment if he was white?

I think those questions would answer whether it was meant as a racial slur or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just want to say that Brad Hill is such an amazing player, so sad he left hawthorn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't think it's racism, just poor taste.

I know Midland and the reputation. It's like saying he's from the ghetto, or a poor area with a high crime rate.

Not racist unless you think only aboriginal people live there and only aboriginal people steal. For me it's just poor taste.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    I think it's hard to answer without knowing the area and I had no idea where Midland was, so did a quick google search. Is it a suburb in Perth?
    Yep, it is. Although I'm not so sure the bogan stereotype around Midland is directed towards aboriginal people as such. If someone made a satirical show about Midland I think it would center around greasy haired bogan chicks wearing trackies and ugg boots.

I think it's just 'suburbist' as well. Growing up here we had a pretty big culture of stereotyping different suburbs. There was even a big divide between 'north and south of the river' kids.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (09-05-2017),rosey82  (09-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    I didn't see it and don't follow football but it doesn't sound like it was meant as racism. Is the player aboriginal? I assume he is. I think the comment could have been made about a white player from Midland too. Midland is known as a high crime area. I grew up in an area that's considered not a nice area her in Perth too. (There's even barbed cyclone wire the whole way around the high school I went to ). If someone made a joke about me growing up there, I could take it as that person saying I was white trash or I could take it as a joke. The spirit in which something is said makes a world of difference.
    Most people who grew up in those type of areas don't see it as an embarrassment, often they joke about it too and almost wear it as a humorous badge of honour.

Was the player upset?
    Are the player and commentator friends?
    Would the commentator have made the same comment if he was white?

I think those questions would answer whether it was meant as a racial slur or not.
    I think we might have gone to the same high school lol I too went to a high school that was surrounded by barbed wire. In fact I was there when they first started having to lock the gates because of gang violence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    I think we might have gone to the same high school lol I too went to a high school that was surrounded by barbed wire. In fact I was there when they first started having to lock the gates because of gang violence.
    They started locking the gates the year after I left. Then they tried changing the name of the school to make it sound nicer