+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't seen the documentary but I am confident with how I look. There are things I'd like to change about myself, but I don't obsess over them, or go to drastic measures to change it.
    I have never dieted. I do exercise though, because I love it and I love the way it makes me feel (energised, fit, healthy).
    My mum had a negative self body image when I was growing up, and it did impact on me...but I was determined to break the cycle when it came to my kids, and I forced myself to think and act differently.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (09-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie46 View Post
    I can't wait to watch Embrace, I'm gonna need a ton of tissues I think! I cry every time the promo comes on It will be a tough but important watch for me.
    I'd seen the promos and had no interest in really watching it, but it came on while DS2 was napping so I started watching it...and I ended up tearing up several times as it just really hit home. I'm so glad I watched it! But yes, have some tissues handy!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (09-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't watched it yet, but after this thread, I might anyway. If not just for my daughter who is currently 4. I just downloaded it to the IQ3

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so glad to read of the few posters who are comfortable with their bodies! That's so great and I really hope I'm able to feel that way soon. Sending out big hugs to all those who are struggling with this too ((hugs)).

Changing your body image is almost like having to learn a new language! I'd never say to another woman that she had a podgy belly, or flabby bum, or big thighs. But I say these things to myself repeatedly every day.

One of the things that really stood out to me in the film was when they were interviewing women in the street and so many of them described their bodies as "disgusting". It made me cry that so many women would use such an awful word to describe themselves, and then I realised that it's one of the words I use most when thinking about my own body. That's got to change!

I was always very thin until my late 20's, and throughout my life my weight was commented on and I was complimented and envied amongst my family and friends for being thin. So its like I now feel shame for not being thin anymore. That all of the people who were envious of my weight will now be revelling in the fact that I'm a bit overweight. And I'm not sure how to move past that.

I am very concious though to never comment on my children's weight. I don't want them growing up having their weight so heavily tied into their identity. I've had to have serious talks to my mum and grandma about it too, as they call them things like "skinny minnie" or "chubba bubba". The cycle of that type of body/weight image focus needs to stop.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (09-05-2017),frankie46  (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We did a fundraiser with my scout
    Group for an eating disorder foundation and watched embrace. I've already recently set out on my own body positive journey but
    It certainly opened my eyes to the amount of media that we are exposed to daily that I didn't even realise. My dd is only 7 and I didn't think she would understand it, but the second she's old enough I will
    show her.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (10-05-2017),frankie46  (10-05-2017)