+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What is your routine? Sleep vs Starting solids

Ok so I wasn't sure where to put this question, sleep or feeding but my issue centres around fitting in intro to solids around sleep routines so here it goes!

It's been so long since I had little ones that I can't remember what I did way back when (I remember they were quite regular in their day sleep patterns).

My youngest is currently 11 weeks and has no real daytime sleep routine beyond feed/play/sleep except for the actual process of putting her to bed (wrap + dummy, cuddle then into bassinet and she self settles easily). She feeds when she is hungry and usually shows tired signs about 1 to 1.5 hours after her bottle. She sleeps anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours. This suits us just fine as she sleeps well overnight (bottle and then bath around 6.30pm and down by 8pm ish, dream feed when I go to bed anytime between 10pm and midnight and then wakes between 5.30am & 7.30am) and we are always out and about at different times of the day. Some mornings she will go straight back to sleep after her morning bottle and some mornings she is bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to start her day. Which is why I have this question...

She will be starting solids around 4 months and I would like to start to develop some kind of daytime routine so that introduction is made a little simpler. So I'm torn between, do I introduce solids at breakfast or lunch?

What did you do?
    What does your 4+ month olds routine look like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 4.5 month olds routine is as follows:

7am wake and breastfeed
    8am breakfast
    9:15-1115 sleep and breastfeed when waking
    1315-1515 sleep and breastfeed when wake
    Afternoon walk and small nap about 1630/1700
    1715-1745 solids when wake from nap
    Shower or bath
    1820 breastfeed
    1900 bed asleep
    10pm dreamfeed

He is my third And has been eating solids for 3 weeks now. My older 2 didn't start foods until 6 months and I did baby led weaning but my ds is a hungry kid and was starting to wake a lot over night starving so unfortunately had to start him earlier than I'd have liked and am doing purrees with him. I personally would follow her lead she may not be ready at 4 months have a readof baby led weaning also.

Thanks
    Reviews

DD1 started solids at 6 months and DD2 closer to 7 months but this bub is a hungry little grub and is already showing signs of interest in food. She was a solid 2 pound heavier than my others and has just kept growing at a steaming pace!! I have been waiting for her to slow down but it doesn't seem likely any time soon

I did consider starting her on dinner time purees but that is crazy time at our house so I'm thinking starting at a quieter time of day when it's mostly just her and I at home (except weekends) might make it a little less stressful for both of us
    Last edited by Baby Girl; 08-05-2017 at 15:37.

Thanks
    Reviews

Ds2 was 13 wks when he was introduced to apple sauce and 14 weeks to veggies. Instructions from my paed as he is also dairy intolerant (growing out now at at 10months) as it helped bind his poop up instead of explosions

This is his 4 month schedule

8am wake
    Full bf and then weetbix (1/2)

930-1030 nap

11am
    Bf and 2 teaspoons of apple sauce

1230-2 nap
    Bf on waking up

330-430
    Nap then bf

430-500
    Bath book
    2 teaspoons apple sauce

Bedtime
    Full bottle

If he woke during the night he would get a bf and don back to sleep

10month

Wake 6am
    Bottle back to sleep til 730

2 weetbix

930-11am
    Bottle/nap

11am
    Full lunch of veggies and fruit

100-300
    Bottle and nap

Bath time

Full dinner of veggies meat & fruit

Full bottle and bed

Currently sleeping through on/off as he is teething and giving him hell plus getting over rhinovirus then bronchitis and we'll chuck in HFM aswell. Thanks to daycare

Edit I think starting in the mornings in better because if bubs has a reaction to something it won't in the middle of the night

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Baby Girl  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Edit I think starting in the mornings in better because if bubs has a reaction to something it won't in the middle of the night
    That's what I'm thinking!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Baby Girl For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following this as I'm starting my 4 month old on solids soon. I will be asking my dr what time of day is best when starting tomorrow so shall report back!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsh1984 For This Useful Post:

Baby Girl  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My bub is 5.5 months now, she started solids at 4 months. I started her in the morning - she sleeps until 7/8am then she has her first milk feed, then solids. After a few weeks we added in an evening solid feed - I basically just make that after whatever time she has her milk feed closest to dinner time (can be anywhere between 5:30pm-7pm)

I only give her new foods she hasn't tried before in the mornings so that if she has any sort of reaction we're not trying to get to a doctor at night or anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Ds2 was 13 wks when he was introduced to apple sauce and 14 weeks to veggies. Instructions from my paed as he is also dairy intolerant (growing out now at at 10months) as it helped bind his poop up instead of explosions

This is his 4 month schedule

8am wake
    Full bf and then weetbix (1/2)

930-1030 nap

11am
    Bf and 2 teaspoons of apple sauce

1230-2 nap
    Bf on waking up

330-430
    Nap then bf

430-500
    Bath book
    2 teaspoons apple sauce

Bedtime
    Full bottle

If he woke during the night he would get a bf and don back to sleep

10month

Wake 6am
    Bottle back to sleep til 730

2 weetbix

930-11am
    Bottle/nap

11am
    Full lunch of veggies and fruit

100-300
    Bottle and nap

Bath time

Full dinner of veggies meat & fruit

Full bottle and bed

Currently sleeping through on/off as he is teething and giving him hell plus getting over rhinovirus then bronchitis and we'll chuck in HFM aswell. Thanks to daycare

Wow 2 weetbix at 10months, what a good little eater you have there! Just a question do you mix formula with it or do you use full cream milk?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by magicmashie View Post
    Wow 2 weetbix at 10months, what a good little eater you have there! Just a question do you mix formula with it or do you use full cream milk?
    I put breastmilk in it. Freshly pumped off. Generally around 70ml I think then microwave for 20seconds so it's all mushy. If thats not enough milk a bit of water from the kettle. I crush the weetbix up first. I tried him with almond milk last week and well that didn't go down well. Msged our paed and he said tried some cows milk so I did and he was fine. He's pretty much grown out of his intolerance now

Easiest way to describe how much he eats. If I let him he would polish off the equivalent of 2 pouches at lunch & dinner but I make everything in bulk and freeze it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    My bub is 5.5 months now, she started solids at 4 months. I started her in the morning - she sleeps until 7/8am then she has her first milk feed, then solids. After a few weeks we added in an evening solid feed - I basically just make that after whatever time she has her milk feed closest to dinner time (can be anywhere between 5:30pm-7pm)

I only give her new foods she hasn't tried before in the mornings so that if she has any sort of reaction we're not trying to get to a doctor at night or anything.
    Does she have pretty regular day time sleeps? Or do you just kinda go with her flow?