+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default NAPLAN - now counting towards HSC?

My niece (14) is sitting her year 9 NAPLAN test tomorrow and is literally having a panic attack over it as now it apparently counts towards your HSC mark - you have to get a band 8 or you fail? Does anyone know if this is right ? I know nothing about it but is band 8 hard to achieve? She's an average student but tries hard but is really worried about this bloody test!
    Her mother said the school did have a meeting on it and this is the new way the HSC is going but they haven't really prepared the poor students who up until this year they were always told NAPLAN won't effect your results!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 08-05-2017 at 09:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    My niece (14) is sitting her year 9 NAPLAN test tomorrow and is literally having a panic attack over it as now it apparently counts towards your HSC mark - you have to get a band 8 or you fail? Does anyone know if this is right ? I know nothing about it but is band 8 hard to achieve? She's an average student but tries hard but is really worried about this bloody test!
    Her mother said the school did have a meeting on it and this is the new way the HSC is going but they haven't really prepared the poor students who up until this year they were always told NAPLAN won't effect your results!
    It doesn't "count" towards the HSC, just that students have to meet a minimum standard in NAPLAN to be able to receive their HSC. The standard is not high - most students would be able to achieve the standard fairly easily. Even if students don't achieve the minimum standard, they can still get an ATAR and they can still go on to further study, they just won't get a "HSC".

I think your niece will be perfectly fine. I hope she's able to calm down. They make a stressful situation even more stressful by linking it to the HSC, unfortunately..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to syke17 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This article might help. It says that children will have multiple opportunities between year 9 and year 12 to meet the benchmarks. It doesn't count towards your HSC as such, but you have to reach the band 8 benchmark by year 12 to be eligible for HSC. And if you don't reach band 8 by the end of year 12, you'll have another 5 years to do so (at which point your Record of School Achievement can become a HSC).

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/naplan--wh...06-gvzl7f.html

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your niece doesn't achieve the required band in year 9, she will then get six chances, two chances in each year 10-12, to sit the OLNA (online lit and num assessment I think it stands for) to show that she meets the required standard. It's basically a means of ensuring that students are achieving a minimum literacy and numeracy standard by the time they graduate. I work in a school and most kids hat need to sit OLNA only need to have a few goes max before they pass. I've not seen a student need all six attempts yet. She'll be fine.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (08-05-2017),Elijahs Mum  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thankyou all! She's never stressed before but I think as this is the first year NAPLAN counts towards anything she's petrified of not doing well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    This article might help. It says that children will have multiple opportunities between year 9 and year 12 to meet the benchmarks. It doesn't count towards your HSC as such, but you have to reach the band 8 benchmark by year 12 to be eligible for HSC. And if you don't reach band 8 by the end of year 12, you'll have another 5 years to do so (at which point your Record of School Achievement can become a HSC).

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/naplan--wh...06-gvzl7f.html
    That's really interesting. I have a friend who's Yr9 DD really struggles academically, and is really concerned she won't pass this yrs NAPLAN. I've fwd her the above link, I think she will be relieved to know she has a few more years to achieve it.

I just had a look at my own 14yo NAPLAN from yr 5 and yr7...she was achieving Band 8 in reading in Yr 5 and all areas in Yr7...it's nice to know she doesn't have to stress about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to say in my post above that I'm in WA not NSW. So I'm not sure if NSW will have the OLNA like we have here but it will be something similar I guess as it works exactly like how Gentoo said from that article. It's been in place here for a few years now. But as I said I've not seen a student get to the end of year 12 without passing it yet, though I'm sure it happens in a small percentage of cases.