+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When did your leave start?

When did others start their maternity leave? Is there a general rule in NSW? I'm having a lot of trouble at work and have been bullied quite badly by my manager since I fell pregnant, so for the sake of my mental health I really want to know how early I can take it. I've tried discussing the issue with HR but they're based in Asia and there's no local representative so I'm getting nowhere. The earlier I can leave, the better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure in Aus, you can go at any time (usually) but might only be allowed 12 months total (unpaid period your work must provide at a minimum) so might lose out at the end. Also won't get govt payment until after baby is born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You need to have worked a certain number of hours before the baby is born to qualify for government paid parental leave so it's worth having a look at the Centrelink website.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most workplaces expect you to work to 34 weeks. If you want to go earlier (or work longer!) than this, you need a medical certificate. Just speak to your GP and go from there because you'll probably need a certificate with expected due date to lodge with your maternity leave forms anyway. If you've worked full time up to falling pregnant then you'll meet the Centrelink criteria because it is some ridiculously low amount of hours over a whole year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rukidding View Post
    Most workplaces expect you to work to 34 weeks. If you want to go earlier (or work longer!) than this, you need a medical certificate. Just speak to your GP and go from there because you'll probably need a certificate with expected due date to lodge with your maternity leave forms anyway. If you've worked full time up to falling pregnant then you'll meet the Centrelink criteria because it is some ridiculously low amount of hours over a whole year.
    Not true, I finished at 30 weeks with no medical certificate, I had a letter from OB to say when I was due but that was so I could get my maternity leave pay... I finished up at Christmas time by choice, it was great having mist of the last trimester to chill out, sleep & catch up with people! 36 weeks with #3 & wish I could do that again but with a 4yo & 2yo to look after maternity leave is a distant memory!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I finished at 33 weeks with my first, I just physically couldn't cope anymore. No certificate required but the 12 months began at that date. 4 weeks before the end of the 12 months I extended my maternity leave by a further 12 months (which in NSW you are entitled to do) if you do so in a similar manner to which I did.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you've got annual leave and any long service leave you can go when ever you want to then start your ppl after that has finished as long as you've met the requirements which is I think 330 hours in the 10 months prior to giving birth but this can be checked on Centrelinks website. With my first I finished at 37wks and my second at 32wks as I was no longer able to work medically

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I finished at 37 weeks by choice. I had to provide medical certificates saying I was fit for work after 34 weeks (I think it was 34 weeks).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I finish this week just a day or 2 shy of 31 weeks. I have a physical job and given we don't need the money DH was happy for me to finish. We will be delivering early so my leave will only be 5 weeks.

I needed a letter stating I was starting leave as it was prior to 36 weeks but my ob was more than happy to do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I finish at the end of this month, I will be 35 weeks.
    My husband is actually my manager and has suggested me going on leave like now (32 weeks today) as I am having troubles sitting at my desk for 8 hours a day - both because my hips and legs are aching and because I can't get close enough to the desk
    we have moved our finances around to ensure I can have the full 12 months off or longer if I want to, but I like the idea of a few more weeks of saving some money.