+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 12 month check - head too big?

I'm pretty stressed out. DD had her 12 month check today and her head circumference is jumping percentiles. At birth it was in the 50th, at six months it was in the 75th and now at 12 months it's in the 95th.

No other symptoms. Meeting all milestones. I'm getting her an ultrasound on Tuesday.

Has anyone had experience with this please? Apparently it's not the size that's the issue, it's the percentile jump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has the rest of her jumped percentiles or just her head? My son changed percentiles every checkup in the first 12 months but it was all over...

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had this too...ours was off the chart.

Turned out hubby and his mum had very big heads ...genetic. ..dexterity was assessed and told she would be really intelligent plus both parents quite tall.

Don't stress just see Dr and they will do tests.

I have observed babies with taller parents seem to have bigger heads...body grows into head.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Butterfly Baby For This Useful Post:

granny1  (06-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deskar View Post
    Has the rest of her jumped percentiles or just her head? My son changed percentiles every checkup in the first 12 months but it was all over...
    It's really just the head. The rest of her has been steadily in the 75th percentile from birth except for a brief period at around 10 weeks when she started dropping percentiles. As soon as I started comping she went back up to the 75th.

We have an ultrasound on Tuesday so I guess we'll know more then. I just had a terrible pregnancy with a very sick baby (not this one) and I was just put through so many tests. Every time a test would come back clear it just lead to another test. I have a fear that will happen again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wishing you the best with the scan, I'm sure they are just being careful and she will be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did the scan go? Been thinking about your little girl. Hope all is well...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My friend had the opposite. Her daughters head wasn't growing with her body. She has microcephaly which means her brain is small. Her daughter has episodes every few months when she starts vomiting and it just wipes her for a few days. But aside from that I can't pick any difference between her and my daughter.

If it's hydrocephalus where there's fluid on the brain not being absorbed in the head can grow too fast. I believe it can be fixed and is acted on quickly

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 2 cousins with unusually large heads when they were babies (different sides of the family). One just had a large head and he eventually grew into. My other cousin had hydrocephalus and had to have a shunt put in which drains the excess brain fluid into her stomach. She was one of the first people to have it done in Australia back in the 70's. She's had to have it replaced as she grew but as an adult it's been replaced I think about every 10 years and the one she has now, the flow can be adjusted without surgery. She's now in her 40's with a couple of kids and pretty much a normal life. It hasn't been easy for her but if she was starting out with it as a child now it would have been a lot better.

Hope your daughter is fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Wise Enough sorry to hear about your friends little girl. I hope she continues to be fine...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deskar View Post
    @Wise Enough sorry to hear about your friends little girl. I hope she continues to be fine...
    She's about to turn 6 and doing great at school