+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS wanted the pink sparkly sneakers so I bought them. He loves them. He seems to really like pink, all the boys clothes get a bit drab in blue/grey all the time.

That said though, once he brought me a shirt he wanted that was pink with a floral wreath on it, and I directed him to the more boyish clothes. Later I felt guilty because why shouldn't he wear it? I won't do that again if I can help it but I think I thought like you that he might get teased etc.

100 years ago pink was for boys and blue for girls anyway! I wish that shops wouldn't have such clear divides of boys and girls clothes, reinforcing the stereotype. I'd like to help reverse it a bit with my DS wearing pink if he wants to.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Flower78 For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma  (06-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole83 View Post
    Did you end up having boys or girls?

I suppose it is saying in some ways colour has gender. And perhaps where it all begins is because newborn babies are near impossible to tell apart (boy or girl) with out being clued in from their clothes. I wouldn't want people to constantly be confusing my newborn baby boy for being a girl because I'm immensely proud we have finally got a boy after two girls! BUT when my baby boy grows older, and if he has an obsession with say Peppa pig like the OP's son, I would happily let him chose to wear it regardless of colour. A bit of a contradiction? Yes but I try to be flexible between how society expects us to behave and how I want to raise my kids.
    I got one of each. DS was very often confused for a girl but I couldn't care less so that's probably why I super relaxed with outfit colours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't go with pink for boys, any other colour I would, if it's a helmet and he really wants it then that's ok especially if he's only young... just my opinion but it's what you feel comfortable with at end of day...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's just a colour here.
    I'm not really a fan of pink (or yellow or green) so don't have many of those colours here (for any of us- I do the shopping).
    DD was given a LOT of pink clothing and wears them as they are gifts, and she seems to like it.
    DSD has two pink items- a skirt and shoes.
    DSS has two pink shirts, two pink ties, a pink bow-tie, pink pjs and a few other bits.

#H has two pink shirts and a pink tie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS picked the pink sparkly gumboots. His favourite colour is currently pink. I bought the ones he picked. Colours are for everyone here. Not so long ago pink was for boys, blue for girls. And before that kids wore white (whose smart idea was that???).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    i'm the same as you DT75. colours are just colours. we prefer to dress ds in a more adult palette, black/charcoal, navy, khaki, white and grey. he has a few baby blue tees but they were purchased because of the cute print or design as opposed to the colour itself.

ds' outfits often match ours. today he was twinning with me, light denim tencel coloured tracky pants and a light grey marle windcheater jumper. and i was in baby blue skinny jeans and a light grey marle windcheater jumper

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    Not so long ago pink was for boys, blue for girls. And before that kids wore white (whose smart idea was that???).
    It was so they could be bleached! Not a bad idea :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogis Mumma View Post
    If your son chose the pink helmet, I'd buy that. There'll be plenty of other times/people pushing gendered colour expectations onto him. Embrace the time where he's more 'free thinking'.
    This is *so* true. We will be trying to bring him up in as much a non gender stereotypical way as we can (despite my pausing on the helmet!), but I'm sure he will be socialized into avoiding pink as time goes on. We should embrace all the colours while we can!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Flower78 View Post

That said though, once he brought me a shirt he wanted that was pink with a floral wreath on it, and I directed him to the more boyish clothes. Later I felt guilty because why shouldn't he wear it? I won't do that again if I can help it but I think I thought like you that he might get teased etc.
    I know exactly what you mean.. me second guessing myself on this has really given me pause for thought, given i don't think kids should be forced into gender roles, and here i am... Ah, parenting. It's a journey ☺

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    I know exactly what you mean.. me second guessing myself on this has really given me pause for thought, given i don't think kids should be forced into gender roles, and here i am... Ah, parenting. It's a journey ☺
    I struggle with it all too, despite my best intentions. The real world and our ideal worlds don't always intermingle as seamlessly as we would like, I think x

12. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (06-05-2017)