+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Pink for boys?

What do you think about pink things for boys, like clothes, etc?

If you have a DS, do you buy them pink things, or do you try to steer them towards more 'boy' colours?

My DS's favourite thing at the moment is Peppa Pig - and most of the Peppa Pig merchandise things seem to be marketed at girls! I don't know why that is... but anyway. I've happily bought him 'girl's' Peppa Pig PJs, cos he loved them, and a few Peppa Pig shirts in colours other than pink (but still a bit 'girly' - eg glitter, that sort of thing). There are a few George pig things manufactured which are aimed at boys - but really, who wants George on something when you can have Peppa, the star of the show?

I was looking to buy DS a bike helmet the other day, and the choices for toddlers were pretty much a hot pink Peppa Pig one, or the 'boy' one which was something action-y that my DS has so far shown no interest in (can't remember what it was - maybe Transformers?). Of course, he wanted the hot pink Peppa one!

What would you do?

I hate it that kids stuff is so gendered (with a clear 'boy' and 'girl' expectation of so much stuff that is marketed), and I hate it that pink has become so clearly associated with girls and not boys... and I hate it when people say things like 'pink is for girls, blue is for boys'... and I don't want to push the social expectations of gender on my 2.5 year old... but I paused and second-guessed myself on the helmet... and I hate it that I did ... and I'm not really sure why I did.. I guess maybe I don't want other kids to laugh at him? A helmet is something that will hopefully last a few years, so he'll have it for a while.

I'm not asking for advice per se - more just opening it up for discussion! What do you think? Do you buy your boys pink things if they want them? Do you try and steer them to the 'boy' stuff? What do you think of boys with pink stuff? Would you buy your DS the helmet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Who cares really?

I buy "classic" boy things for my girls, well dd2 as she's very much a Tom boy. We let her wear blue, play with cars, work on cars (she's 5 and wants to be a mechanic), we let her wear " classic" boy clothes if she wants. She will be getting her own tools soon.

Who says boys cant be treated the same? Pink is no longer only a girls color anymore. Respected men, bikers, and tradesmen now wear pink.

If he wants the hot pink one, he should have the hot pink one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    If your worried about bullying then maybe get some "boy" themed stickers to make his stand out from the others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The rule in our house is clothes are clothes and colours are colours. I would but the Peppa Pig helmet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS 4yo loves pink and Peppa pig.

He gets whatever colour he chooses and usually it's pink!
    I remember one vendor when I queried about other colours available for sunnies told me "oh yes I have pink but that won't work"
    Lol

Actually that will work awesome thanks!

IMO colours don't have gender. DH does wear pink shirt too, no issue in key household

Oh and my DD wears blue!

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Ds has pink and purple socks that he chose, and he had a pair of orange track pants that almost looked pink. Personally I hate pink so try to avoid it for that reason. But if ds really wanted, as a pink helmet, I'd be fine with that. Most of ds' clothes are blue and green...because they're my favourite colours. 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tell my sons they can have the pink things if they like, but that they have to remember sometimes people can be mean and will say nasty things about it.
    I know that's not how it *should be* but in the real world it is, so I try to help my kids make an informed decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    ds had the tropical print bonds zippies when tiny. i generally won't go out of my way to buy pink clothes for him, but there's not much pink boys stuff anyway so it's not really hard to avoid. i borrowed a pink walker from my mils house for him to use, was previously his (girl) cousin's and i cbf spending $50 on a new one that gets a couple of months use. my mil was mortified we'd consider using a pink toy for him.

i can't stand gendered stuff for kids. they're just kids, leave them be!

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I tend to buy my son more boy things only because after 3 girls i wanted the blues and greens ect
    But most days if you turned up to my house my son will be in his sister pink crocks or gumboots wearing an assortment of "girly" jewelry carrying around a handbag do i care nope have i let him leave the house wearing it yes
    Im yet to have anyone say anything to me but those you know me know i will tear them apart if they make a dumb a55 coment

I hear you on the peppa pig ds1 is obsessed disgusting that 90% of its aimed at girls 😡

If he wants the helmet get it for him

Thanks
    Reviews
    We where told ds2 was a girl and I went out and bought a few things not a tonne just a few outfits as I already had a heap of little baby things that I'd kept from DS1. So when he came out we where holy crap there's some balls it's a boy. But I still pop him in them when I'm at home as they are only trackie sets and a few tshirts

I'm all for kids wearing what they want to wear be it pink or blue.

Get the helmet of people say anything tell em to bugger off