+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vent ! Mum wouldn't let me use blankets in her house when it is freezing

We are staying with my mum for a bit over a week only as our house settles in now three more days

It is minus one tonight and her house is cold. The kids beds have no doonas just thin blankets. I said "aren't there any more blankets?@ and she said there were some in a huge cedar chest

When I went to get them out she lost the plot and screamed at me saying they were too "good" and she didn't want them ruined

I screamed back saying that was ridiculous, she said they cost $400 (they're second hand). I said again that is ridiculous and she screamed at me. They weren't going to ruin them they were simply cold!!

My mum is turning into a hoarder and I cannot wait to get out of here

She is constantly shopping at op shops and blowing all her money so there's nothing left for food and petrol

I'm the opposite I only keep what I use and need. I'm generous and share and don't value things over people.

The reason why it's so upsetting is because we are generally close and don't really fight. This was not normal and to me made me soooo angry

I know she is being good to me to let us stay with her but I'm always helping her out and honestly that is what mothers should do for their kids- I know I would for my children

She has bipolar and I've been her carer since I was 10.

Arrgggghhh

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    That's ridiculous. I understand being relunctant to use expensive blankets but it's freezing and there is no alternative. Blankets are surely there to be used?

She sounds a bit like my Mum. Freaks out over little things on the off chance it makes a mess or ruins her "order"...she's also a bit of a hoarder and regularly shops at opp shops.

How's her bipolar managed? If her response wasn't normal maybe she's going through a hard time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can you go to target/Kmart etc and buy some doonas for the kids? Won't solve the issues with your Mum, but would solve the problem.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Only 2 more days

If I was here longer I would go to get my blankets (all at the new house) I have heaps and no point buying more

Mum is medicated she is ok just hates mess. And we aren't super messy just we don't live like we are in a museum.

In the end she permitted me use two for the kids (the non-good quilts) (!)

Only two more days...

In other news my period is a couple of days late (!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You're trying to apply reason to an unreasonable person. She's ill. Right now her safe space is all off kilter. If I were you I would keep the kids out of the house all day and just come back to sleep. It might help her cope. Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (06-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    wtf? it's freezing (literally) and she won't let your kids have blankets? far out, i hope you get out of there asap!

is there a little heater you can get your hands on to keep the room warm? honestly i'd just go to kmart and buy some cheap blankets myself. she's being totally unreasonable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Very ridiculous.

I would either buy a couple cheap blankets in the mean time if I could, or borrow from a friend or family member and casually mention in front of your mother how appreciative you were of borrowing them as your mother's ones for some reason aren't suitable to be used.

Or I would most likely go stay at a cheap motel for the remainder. At least there would be heating and warm blankets.

I get the bipolar thing but how can anyone willingly let kids go cold when you(your mum I mean) have the means to keep then warm.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (06-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would judt go buy a couple cheap ones and either donate them once finished using them or keep them there for any future uses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good lord! How can blankets be 'too good' to be used, they are blankets for heavens sakes!
    Big hugs I would be bolting for the nearest hotel
    Big hugs OP ( cosy warm ones )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    unless someone has projectile vomiting or raging diarrhea i can't see how a "good" blanket can be compromised by someone sleeping on it.