ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First swimming lesson - what to expect?

DD is 4.5 and has her first swimming lesson tomorrow. I'd planned on starting her much earlier than this but for many reasons, it didn't happen. She's happy being in the water, no fear - if anything she's a little TOO eager and I battle trying to get her to listen to me when it comes to water safety! I was the opposite as a kid. Terrified of water, avoided it at all cost and to be honest I'm probably still a bit like it now

So what can I expect from her first lesson? It's a class of four, for beginners. Can DP or I get in with her if she's nervous? What sort of stuff will they have her do? I'm not letting on of course, but I'm so scared of her getting in all on her own! Will definitely need DP there to hold my hand!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You need to sit back and let them handle it. Ive seen nervous kids and it always goes so much better if the parents sit right back and let the instructors do their thing. You cannot hop in with them. They will spend a bit of time waiting for their turn at the edge.

Every school is different. I've sent my girls to 3 different ones. Each one was completely different. Just give it a term or two and if you aren't happy try somewhere different.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (05-05-2017),smallpotatoes  (05-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply! Great advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with Wise Enough - do not get in! If you do, she may expect you to keep doing it, and it might hold her back. If she needs comforting, do it outside the water.

The beginners classes are lots of fun. Ours are 5 kids max at that age, and she won't be on her own. The instructors are very good at keeping an eye on them and it should be shallow water (ours is knee depth). It's a lot of getting familiar with getting in and out of the pool, putting their chin/face in the water, bobbing up and down (ours sings ring-a-Rosie), running from edge to edge, walking/gliding through a hoop of varying levels in the water (again to get them used to getting their face wet) and some fast and slow kicking. We've had beginners classes at 2 different places and it's been very similar. I think there is a national program now to keep things the same between schools.

She will have fun. My kids didn't start until around that age too and they both loved it. My only other advice is goggles. The bigger ones are better than the small racing goggles.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (05-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great, thanks so much @Californication for giving me an idea of how it works. I'm sure she'll be fine - she's very excited. It's just me being nervous

8. The Following User Says Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (05-05-2017)