ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default age range

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    There is a big difference in saying schools *are* damaging kids and schools *can* damage kids.

It is mains.tream. So vast majority of people do fit in.

I'm curious to know which kind of play you are talking about. Play as in practical activities to reinforce their learning or free play? Or both? Once children start to get a bit older they need more than just free play. Many classrooms are becoming flexible learning spaces. We don't have set desks at my school and we have furniture that is designed so children can rock and move. At my children's school it is flexible as well. Nobody has their own set desk. I've been a teacher for nearly 20 years and it has changed a lot in that time. I know it's not like this everywhere but it is changing. Many schools have multi-age classes.

I'm not sure it's schools pressuring children to be the best. This almost always comes from parents. In fact, I was at swimming lessons yesterday morning with my youngest and 2 women were complaining about how school has changed since they were there because they didn't like not knowing where their child was at in comparison to the rest of the class. The teacher deep down in me wanted to point out that it shouldn't matter as long as their child was happy and making progress. Teachers only want children to be the best they can be.

Which constant testing are you talking about? I'm far from an advocate of naplan but the testing is not constant.

At my children's school and the school I work at, the students have their own goals. For some like in my son's class one child's goal might be to write their name and another child's goal is to write 4-5 sentences. Teachers do not expect all children to be at the same level in every subject and they differentiate for their students.

Someone else previously mentioned mental health issues on the increase in young people and pretty sure they were insinuating that this was because of school? Could be wrong. I would argue parenting has vastly changed over the years. Let's not put the blame on main****** education alone.

Just want to share some photos from my school's Facebook page and my children's school Facebook page.

Peer support - children of all ages working together Attachment 90087

OT lessons Attachment 90088

Smaller group for OT sessions paid for by the school Attachment 90089

Trash percussion music lessons Attachment 90090

The school's very own iband Attachment 90091

Music lessons Attachment 90092

Coding class Attachment 90093

Veges from the vege patchAttachment 90094

Outdoor learning Attachment 90095

Attachment 90096

What is the purpose of sharing these photos?

Were you unable to find photos of the children appearing passionate about their learning?

The first photo (children of all ages working together) is a great example of the differences between home education and your school.
    The photo really just looked like the class sitting in a circle as normal, quietly, obediently, lacking passion, looking at the teacher (except instead of the teacher you have two older students pretending to be the teacher).

This week my children have worked with children of a wide age range. But they were not sitting in a circle in class pretending that two older students were teachers.

They were at a botanical garden, at the beach, hiking by the coast. They were finding a snake, catching lizards, looking for fish in a pond, climbing on a canon, rolling down a hill, learning to do the "bridge", and forming human pryamids.

You say let's not put the blame on main****** education alone, and I agree. Although I have noticed many home educators reporting that the only change they needed to make was to remove their child from school and the self harming, depression, anxiety, etc significantly reduces.

You say it's main******, so the vast majority of people do fit in.

That's semantics.
    Last edited by Winter Is Coming; 07-05-2017 at 09:55.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Is Coming View Post
    They were at a botanical garden, at the beach, hiking by the coast. They were finding a snake, catching lizards, looking for fish in a pond, climbing on a canon, rolling down a hill, learning to do the "bridge", and forming human pryamids.
    This is all fantastic! I presume it was followed-up by some formalisation of concepts aligned to the Australian curriculum? Perhaps a written recount to consolidate literacy, or a scientific annotated diagram of the lizard, and formulation of some sort of guided research question?

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

amyd  (07-05-2017),Chippa  (07-05-2017),HollyGolightly81  (07-05-2017),magicmashie  (07-05-2017),Mokeybear  (07-05-2017),mrsboyts  (07-05-2017),Tiny Dancer  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What is the purpose of sharing these photos?

Were you unable to find photos of the children appearing passionate about their learning?

The first photo (children of all ages working together) is a great example of the differences between home education and your school.
    The photo really just looked like the class sitting in a circle as normal, quietly, obediently, lacking passion, looking at the teacher (except instead of the teacher you have two older students pretending to be the teacher).

This week my children have worked with children of a wide age range. But they were not sitting in a circle in class pretending that two older students were teachers.

You say let's not put the blame on main****** education alone, and I agree. Although I have noticed many home educators reporting that the only change they needed to make was to remove their child from school and the self harming, depression, anxiety, etc significantly reduces.

You say it's main******, so the vast majority of people do fit in.

That's semantics.
    Very well said!

All I saw was a bunch of kids obeying and acting like sheep.

OP if you can't homeschool, look into a democratic style school.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Unschooling4 For This Useful Post:

Winter Is Coming  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default developmentally appropriate learning

Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    This is all fantastic! I presume it was followed-up by some formalisation of concepts aligned to the Australian curriculum? Perhaps a written recount to consolidate literacy, or a scientific annotated diagram of the lizard, and formulation of some sort of guided research question?
    My kids are aged 2, 5, & 7. They are not developmentally ready for your wonderful suggestions, as recognised by the education system in Finland (which has the highest educational achievement and does not introduce academics until after the age of 7).

As much as I would have loved to keep my children awake at the end of a long day of playing and learning passionately, and squeeze as much joy from the learning as possible, I know it is not appropriate for my kids at this stage.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default WWYD? Trouble settling into big school

"They were at a botanical garden, at the beach, hiking by the coast. They were finding a snake, catching lizards, looking for fish in a pond, climbing on a canon, rolling down a hill, learning to do the "bridge", and forming human pryamids."

My kids are total sheep and go to main****** school. Guess what? They do all these things too, after school, on weekends, school holidays. Amazing isn't it, that you can do both.

If people want to homeschool, that's great for you. What I do find offensive, is the manner in which you and other PP run down the choices other people have made. Homeschooling would not suit me or my kids, just as "main******" schooling doesn't suit you. And calling children sheep isn't exactly an adult way of making your point.
    Last edited by sniggle6; 07-05-2017 at 10:16.

8. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to sniggle6 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (07-05-2017),BettyV  (07-05-2017),Cdro  (07-05-2017),Chippa  (07-05-2017),DynamiteandaLazerBeam  (12-05-2017),Elijahs Mum  (07-05-2017),Full House  (07-05-2017),Gentoo  (07-05-2017),gingermillie  (07-05-2017),Happymum2  (07-05-2017),JR03  (08-05-2017),JustJaq  (07-05-2017),Lincolns mummy  (07-05-2017),magicmashie  (07-05-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (10-05-2017),misho  (07-05-2017),Mod-DJ Nette  (07-05-2017),Mod-Wise Enough  (07-05-2017),Mokeybear  (07-05-2017),mrsboyts  (07-05-2017),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-05-2017),smallpotatoes  (07-05-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see what is wrong with "quietly, obediently" sitting in a circle learning from a teacher??

Going on a hike, catching lizards and going to the beach sounds awesome... when they are on holidays. Not so much for daily education. As Harvs said is this followed up by any further learning?

I'm curious how home schooling works. Do the people that home school receive any government subsidies or do you all self fund?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to magicmashie For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm hesitant to contribute to this thread. My son does not attend a mains.tream school. I have significant issues with mains.tream schooling.

Putting that aside the comments from your daughter are alarming. By all means work with the teacher and school and try to find a solution for your child.

A pp (I think it might have been harvs or BigRedV) mentioned it is common for kids to be different at home than school. This is true and let's be honest most adults are different at work than at home. However for me personally when I found myself in a workplace that was stressful, drained me of emotional and physical energy resulting in my home life being chaotic and horrid I removed myself from that workplace. I as an adult recognised that the environment in that workplace was detrimental to my mental health and wellbeing.

I guess my point is if working with the teacher and school. Consulting with a psych doesn't help your child then don't leave her in an environment that causes her so much stress.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Beljane  (07-05-2017),Winter Is Coming  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I really do wish that people could be polite and respectful in these types of threads. We all have so much to learn from each - mains.tream and alternate educational parents.
    @magicmashie I have never wanted to sit quietly or obediently in a circle. If my child chooses to do that I will respect that - but I do not want that to be their default position before they have had the chance to know we don't all have to sit quietly and obediently in the circle.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Winter Is Coming  (07-05-2017)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    My kids are aged 2, 5, & 7. They are not developmentally ready for your wonderful suggestions, as recognised by the education system in Finland (which has the highest educational achievement and does not introduce academics until after the age of 7).

As much as I would have loved to keep my children awake at the end of a long day of playing and learning passionately, and squeeze as much joy from the learning as possible, I know it is not appropriate for my kids at this stage.
    Absolutely, I think the Finnish system is wonderful! At 5 and 7 informal oral recounts would be appropriate, and every kid loves to draw a detailed picture, which is basically what a diagram is! Coming up with oral questions is what kids do naturally, and a great follow up discussion, which is how I would program follow-up consolidation for a class of 5 - 7 year olds.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (10-05-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (10-05-2017),Mokeybear  (07-05-2017),Tiny Dancer  (07-05-2017),Winter Is Coming  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    I really do wish that people could be polite and respectful in these types of threads. We all have so much to learn from each - mains.tream and alternate educational parents.
    @magicmashie I have never wanted to sit quietly or obediently in a circle. If my child chooses to do that I will respect that - but I do not want that to be their default position before they have had the chance to know we don't all have to sit quietly and obediently in the circle.
    Sorry binnielici but have you noticed who are the ones not being polite and respectful in this thread?

It's the homeschoolers that don't want to conform to society and be "sheep". Says a lot don't you think??

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magicmashie For This Useful Post:

DynamiteandaLazerBeam  (12-05-2017),sniggle6  (07-05-2017)