ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    If someone wants to homeschool/unschool their child, can they get a parenting payment based on that? Or is it self funded?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default WWYD? Trouble settling into big school

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    If someone wants to homeschool/unschool their child, can they get a parenting payment based on that? Or is it self funded?
    I asked this of unschooling4 earlier in the thread and she said that there's no payments for unschooling but if a parent is on Newstart allowance they don't then actively look for jobs

I imagine it would get quite costly with multiple unschooled kids if they are doing as many activities that has been stated along with having only a one income family if one parent is unschooling all day?
    Last edited by magicmashie; 09-05-2017 at 16:10.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magicmashie For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (09-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmashie View Post
    I asked this of unschooling4 earlier in the thread and she said that there's no payments for unschooling but if a parent is on Newstart allowance they don't then actively look for jobs
    Interesting.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Full House  (09-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Interesting.
    I thought the same. Hopefully this isn't been abused?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I certainly don't think most home/un schoolers do it for this reason. But it would be an attractive option for a low income family where the primary care giver is still getting a payment. They could pretty much indefinitely stay on Newstart without having to look for any work depending on the gaps of their kids.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

magicmashie  (09-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the risk and possibility is certainly there - see my post earlier in the thread about just how easy it is to register to homeschool, in Vic at least. I'm not suggesting anyone here is doing that, but there seems to be little if any oversight, in Vic at least. Qld seems to have a yearly report that homeschooling parents have to submit, not sure how detailed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

magicmashie  (09-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you will think that your children will become too reliant on you? School teaches kids independence. Being together 24/7 for years upon years when they get to a certain age surely limits this independence?
    My children have huge amounts of independence, they aren't only with us. They have family and friends they spend time with, and we start them quite young in being able to do things for themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There should definitely be more accountability in VIC, and I think those regulations are currently under review right now.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (10-05-2017),HollyGolightly81  (09-05-2017),JustJaq  (09-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    No you didn't, I wasn't taking it personally, I quoted you because you had said if you love your child and want a bright future for them, that's what everyone wants, I just meant one way dose not equate to loving more.
    Without a doubt I think all parents put a lot of thought into their child's education, to make sure they have as may options as possible.(of course there are always exceptions, as with everything.)

You have a very negative take on schools, they aren't all like that. I don't think that teachers are raising my child, (we are currently not in Aus, so my child does not spend as many hours in school as she did in Australia, but even then I didn't think the teacher was raising her.) To me they are providing a service, that they are paid for, I do know her teachers, I make an effort to be involved in every aspect and regularly am in contact with them, sometimes it's just email, but I make an effort to see them face to face as well. She has also had a teacher I didn't like, not personally, just the way she did things, we had lots of meetings and lots of discussions.

You are mistaken, I don't have a negative view on schools. I think they are amazing and are suited to many families and their children. But for my family and my children it isn't a good fit. I made an effort with my children's schools also, but I still don't actually know this person.

Not all teachers are the same, even in this thread, I think it's harvs, who mentioned doing 13 lesson plans for 16 children, I often pick up from her posts just how much effort she puts into her class, there are teachers like this IRL, to whom this is not just a job they care for these kids, I've worked with children and I know first hand that it's effortless to care and become attached to them.

Many teachers are amazing, I have quite a few teacher friends myself. Half homeschool their own children and the other half don't. There are also some downright horrible teachers whom have lost their passion for the job.

Not all schools are an institution where free will is quashed, my child has a teacher that saves a period for discussions on current events important to them, she does some lesson plans around this. They're challenged to think outside the box, form educated opinions.

My child does enjoy learning except for maths- this she will avoid at any cost, so I feel she that for some things children need a little push, at least mine does.
    I'm glad your hold has a teacher, that is awesome. My older three children also had one or two teachers whom were amazing. I'm glad school is your option, without people like you making this choice schools would close and nobody wants that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    I think the risk and possibility is certainly there - see my post earlier in the thread about just how easy it is to register to homeschool, in Vic at least. I'm not suggesting anyone here is doing that, but there seems to be little if any oversight, in Vic at least. Qld seems to have a yearly report that homeschooling parents have to submit, not sure how detailed.
    I am personally in NSW. Here we have quite in depth criteria. We must show a program for each child showing that we can supply and teach to the exact same outcomes as schools in NSW do, we also have to keep records, say when our children will learn, where they will learn and have somebody check up on us every 3,6,12 or if you are super lucky 24 months. My last meeting I actually did 101 pages for three of my children. And in December I will have 4 children to plan a program for.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rachy82 For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (09-05-2017),delirium  (09-05-2017),HollyGolightly81  (09-05-2017),JustJaq  (09-05-2017)