+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rachy82 View Post
    I am in NSW and we have quite strict requirements. We may unschool but that doesn't mean we unlearn as people may think. I'm sure there are people out there abusing the system but o highly doubt there are many as honestly people like that wouldn't want to be around their children 24/7. We use some of the same resources schools use, but we also learn from every day situations. I pulled my 16yr old out of year 9 last year and discovered she was only at a year 2-3 level for maths and English. Simply by working, and helping with household things she is now at around a year 8 level for both. We do a lot of cooking which can cover every single subject if you open your eyes. Kids want to learn if they aren't forced. It isn't like people honk and hat children aren't capable of learning if they aren't pushed, I have found quite the opposite with not only my own kids but in every single homeschooling group I am a part of.
    I'm glad to hear there are strict requirements for homeschooling as well there should be. You'd be surprised the types of people who don't send their children to school. It's just easier not to send them every day so they don't. They actually don't want their kids around 24/7 but can't be bothered sending them to school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Every child is Australia must legally be registered to homeschool or be enrolled at public/private school. When you apply for homeschool registration, the standards differ from state to state however the process is generally along the lines of sending through a home education plan to an authorising body, which covers all kinds of areas (links to the national syllabus, ways to chart your child's progress, plans for future study etc etc). Then, in our state, we have a home visit with a home education monitor. They meet the child and the parent and assess whether the program is being implemented via proof such as completed work, diaries/logs, photographs. This happens yearly in my state. This whole process is overseen by the federal minister for education.

So, when people say they are unschooling there are two options: one, they have provided enough evidence of learning to meet the above criteria, or two they are educating their child at home without notifying any governing body (which is illegal in Australia).
    Thank you this is very informative. That is exactly what should happen and I'm very glad to hear there is accountability.

I'm not sure how an unschooling family would provide the evidence you spoke of. If they do aren't they just doing homeschooling? I imagine there are people out there who are unschooling illegally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lots of children I meet who identify as "unschoolers" are actually performing above the level of my own structured homeschooling child. Unschooling parents are often intensely engaged and engaging, do so many inventive learning activities and are actually quite intimidating to myself, who just buys off the rack curricula!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (08-05-2017),rachy82  (08-05-2017),Winter Is Coming  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    I'm glad to hear there are strict requirements for homeschooling as well there should be. You'd be surprised the types of people who don't send their children to school. It's just easier not to send them every day so they don't. They actually don't want their kids around 24/7 but can't be bothered sending them to school.
    Parents like that are just a drain on society. I personally just want my kids to have the best education possible, while being able to be exactly who they are. I've tried schools, quite a few of them and my kids weren't able to do those things. I'm a parent that also absolutely loves having my kids around me 24/7.
    And I agree with you, there should be accountability from home educating parents. You wouldn't want everyone doing it and having a bunch of uneducated adults running around next generation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rachy82 For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Unschooling4 View Post
    Yes and school (sitting in a classroom etc) is far from the real world.
    Can I ask what you or your do/have done for a living?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Can I ask what you or your do/have done for a living?
    Currently im a sahm. I have been a cleaner and kitchen hand and also worked in daycare. Why?.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Unschooling4 For This Useful Post:

Winter Is Coming  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default bandaid

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I find this way of dealing with ASD particularly interesting. I have a child with SPD, & there are times I have to adapt her environment to suit her needs - headphones to block out noise, give her the exact cup she needs, with water at the correct temperature, and routine exactly to her suiting. But this to me is a 'bandaid' solution - we are also working on increasing her threshold to deal with her environment and not need everything and everyone around her adapted to her needs. In the real world, everything wont change to suit her - and I need her to be able to function in the real world. It's much healthier for her in the long term. So whilst controlling the environment helps her in the immediate, it isnt our long term goal.
    You may need to reread that. You just quoted me explaining how I supported my son to develop tolerance for a different environment.

That's the opposite of a bandaid solution.

Also, you may be interested in reading my recent comments regarding the "home bubble" and "no conflict" myths.

You also have not explained what you do that goes beyond a bandaid solution.

I would be very interested to know what strategies and resources you use.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That part of my post wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at somebody else in this massive thread which has gone totally off the rails. Please don't think I was ever implying your pride was standing in the way.
    I'm glad to hear home education is a possibility for your baby, I've been where you are with my second eldest and t was the most gut wrenching thing I'd ever heard hearing my almost 6yr old tell me he wanted to die and how he would do it. Hugs to you all, I hope you can get your child the help she needs.
    Thanks, appreciate that. I had misunderstood and thought it was directed at me. Since that wasn't the intention, my apologies for the overreaction on my part.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default ASD specific school

Unfortunately or not, my son has an IQ that is too high for an ASD specific school.
    Oh no. (Kind of)

Do you know the cut off IQ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Is Coming View Post
    That's awesome. I have signed a petition to have ASD schools in Victoria.

You are right, sorry. That was Dilerium.
    There are schools in Victoria, for children with asd.

Quote Originally Posted by Unschooling4 View Post
    Currently im a sahm. I have been a cleaner and kitchen hand and also worked in daycare. Why?.
    I know this isn't aimed at me but I think most of us are genuinely interested in how unschooling works, I'm one of those mums that is involved in everything at school, I don't enjoy these meetings but it's how I try to make sure my child is getting the best education.
    To me homeschooling would never be an option not because of my children, but because I don't feel I'm qualified, I feel that I would be doing a disservice to my children.
    Without a doubt there have been situations and teachers that weren't great, but that's where I feel I need to step in and teach my child life lessons, and how to deal with different situations assertively, but I can't do academics.
    So unschooling blows my mind, out of curiosity I keep reading along in this thread to see what happens, how do people know that their child will have all the tools needed for a job/uni, is there a plan, etc.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (08-05-2017),misho  (08-05-2017),Mod-Wise Enough  (08-05-2017)