ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Is Coming View Post
    That's odd. I thought it was you who appeared outraged that I would suggest possible asd. Must have been someone else.

Home education works for children with asd like my son because we can control the noise, smell, and to an extent, routines.

My son would only sit on a leather recliner when eating due to sensory issues. We got him a special cushion and he can now sit on the regular chairs and watch his fish in his aquarium.

He has managed a week without this cushion because it got dirty, and can now sit on the wooden chairs.

Unschooling is particularly popular with autistic children.
    I find this way of dealing with ASD particularly interesting. I have a child with SPD, & there are times I have to adapt her environment to suit her needs - headphones to block out noise, give her the exact cup she needs, with water at the correct temperature, and routine exactly to her suiting. But this to me is a 'bandaid' solution - we are also working on increasing her threshold to deal with her environment and not need everything and everyone around her adapted to her needs. In the real world, everything wont change to suit her - and I need her to be able to function in the real world. It's much healthier for her in the long term. So whilst controlling the environment helps her in the immediate, it isnt our long term goal.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (08-05-2017),sparklebug  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a question for those who unschool (not aimed at homeschooling as I think that can be done well with the right person). Do you have any accountability for what you do with your children/their learning? Or are you just bucking the system and doing as you please?

I am genuinely interested in the answer to this. I really would like to know if you are answerable to anyone regarding your child's learning.

I see many families who just can't be bothered sending their children to school and we are constantly chasing these kinds of families. I worry that unschooling could be used as an excuse for families like this to remove their children from school and there is no accountability there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default So very sorry

That part of my post wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at somebody else in this massive thread which has gone totally off the rails. Please don't think I was ever implying your pride was standing in the way.
    I'm glad to hear home education is a possibility for your baby, I've been where you are with my second eldest and t was the most gut wrenching thing I'd ever heard hearing my almost 6yr old tell me he wanted to die and how he would do it. Hugs to you all, I hope you can get your child the help she needs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rachy82 For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Can ask how they are thriving? Since you are 'unschooling' what types of things are you doing to ensure they are learning and thriving?

You said yourself all children are different, with that in mind, aren't you being unfair to your children deciding that all 6 will be unschooled or homeschooled? You're deciding for all what you feel worked for a couple. How are you fostering learning in your 9 year old? Do you really think he has enough knowledge to know unschooling is what will work best for himself?

When some describe their days, I really struggle to see how they differ from anything I do with my children in the afternoon or on the weekend. I find it amazing that you (collective) feel you can give your child all they need in terms of opportunity. I'm not directing this at homeschoolers that do utilize specific curriculum and extra classes, tuitions, etc.
    My children will all always have the choice as to what kind of education they receive. I will never ever tell my child how they have to be educated and if the younger ones want to try school they are more than able to.
    My 9yr old knows that he no longer wants to attend school where his teachers were turning a blind eye to the bullying, where he was too advanced for the year he was in yet the school did nothing because his behaviour wasn't appropriate, and where he was absolutely miserable. But if he ever decides to go back we will be perfectly okay with that.
    As for how we help them, we guide them and show them how they have the world at their fingertips. My 9yr old is currently interested in learning about quantum physics as well as his times tables and synonyms. He is absolutely thriving because he can learn exactly how he wants and what he wants. My teens are doing exactly what they need to do to achieve their career goals and my younger three are going amazing too, with my just turned 5yr old already reading because that was her choice as she loves the written word.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rachy82 For This Useful Post:

Unschooling4  (08-05-2017),Winter Is Coming  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    I have a question for those who unschool (not aimed at homeschooling as I think that can be done well with the right person). Do you have any accountability for what you do with your children/their learning? Or are you just bucking the system and doing as you please?

I am genuinely interested in the answer to this. I really would like to know if you are answerable to anyone regarding your child's learning.

I see many families who just can't be bothered sending their children to school and we are constantly chasing these kinds of families. I worry that unschooling could be used as an excuse for families like this to remove their children from school and there is no accountability there.
    This is a great question, I'd be interested to hear too. Not to mention that if the parent is on Newstart and they are seen to be "unschooling" they no longer have to apply for jobs as it was said in the thread earlier. Interesting. You would hope that this isn't being abused...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to magicmashie For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (08-05-2017),gingermillie  (08-05-2017),TheGooch  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    I've already said that we don't have a problem with homeschooling. The fact that my thread went off topic and turned into a debate about the pros and cons of homeschooling isn't my fault.

How dare you imply that I wouldn't help my child because I am too proud.
    I apoligised elsewhere in throw thread as I didn't know how to reply to individual comments. I hope you see that comment and once again I am very sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I probably have no business being in here. Not a teacher and my eldest is just in kindy.

But I have a question for those who unschool or homeschool particularly for the reasons of ASD.

How do you envision your child coping when they get older in the 'real world'.

They will need conflict resolution. They will need to do things they feel uncomfortable with and do not like. They will need to deal with people they do not like.

I understand that for children with ASD the world is ridiculously hard to deal with and live in. But should we not at an early age ensure they have the tools to thrive outside of the home bubble?

I do know someone with 3 ASD kids. One of whom finds school and the world in general hard to deal with. But his parents, teachers and school give them all the tools they need to function in school and the world.

OP - I think getting a psych to address the anxiety would be a good first step. Also have a good chat with the teacher/school.
    I pulled my 9yr old ASD son from school towards the end of the year. And honestly the way he was learning about the "real" world was breaking my heart and my child's spirit. He had no friends at all and was bullied relentlessly, not to mention how bored he was because of how advanced he was. He is far from living in a bubble at home. He goes everywhere we do, so gets to deal with people of all ages and personalities, he is learning to deal with the real world by living in the real world. We also do homeschool meet ups where he has made the most amazing best friend. They are thick as thieves.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rachy82 For This Useful Post:

Winter Is Coming  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    In nsw there are schools specifically for asd students.

And no I wasn't the one "outraged" by your suggestion the child might be asd.
    Unfortunately or not, my son has an IQ that is too high for an ASD specific school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmashie View Post
    This is a great question, I'd be interested to hear too. Not to mention that if the parent is on Newstart and they are seen to be "unschooling" they no longer have to apply for jobs as it was said in the thread earlier. Interesting. You would hope that this isn't being abused...
    Every child is Australia must legally be registered to homeschool or be enrolled at public/private school. When you apply for homeschool registration, the standards differ from state to state however the process is generally along the lines of sending through a home education plan to an authorising body, which covers all kinds of areas (links to the national syllabus, ways to chart your child's progress, plans for future study etc etc). Then, in our state, we have a home visit with a home education monitor. They meet the child and the parent and assess whether the program is being implemented via proof such as completed work, diaries/logs, photographs. This happens yearly in my state. This whole process is overseen by the federal minister for education.

So, when people say they are unschooling there are two options: one, they have provided enough evidence of learning to meet the above criteria, or two they are educating their child at home without notifying any governing body (which is illegal in Australia).

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

magicmashie  (08-05-2017),smallpotatoes  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post

I am in NSW and we have quite strict requirements. We may unschool but that doesn't mean we unlearn as people may think. I'm sure there are people out there abusing the system but o highly doubt there are many as honestly people like that wouldn't want to be around their children 24/7. We use some of the same resources schools use, but we also learn from every day situations. I pulled my 16yr old out of year 9 last year and discovered she was only at a year 2-3 level for maths and English. Simply by working, and helping with household things she is now at around a year 8 level for both. We do a lot of cooking which can cover every single subject if you open your eyes. Kids want to learn if they aren't forced. It isn't like people honk and hat children aren't capable of learning if they aren't pushed, I have found quite the opposite with not only my own kids but in every single homeschooling group I am a part of.