+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I just wanted to point out that there's a pretty big difference between 'homeschooling' and 'unschooling.' I don't think they should be lumped together.
    Agree. I still have the personal opinion that teaching is 4 years at uni for a reason and in the later years of high school many may struggle to keep up with the high level of understanding needed of parents. But most of my dislike is unschooling. I find this idea that kids decide what they want to learn, if at all and when just isn't life and IMHO unhealthy for kids.

Raise your hand if there are parts of your day that you find monotonous/boring/you hate? Be you working or at home? *raises hand*

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

JR03  (08-05-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (07-05-2017),magicmashie  (07-05-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Agree. I still have the personal opinion that teaching is 4 years at uni for a reason and in the later years of high school many may struggle to keep up with the high level of understanding needed of parents. But most of my dislike is unschooling. I find this idea that kids decide what they want to learn, if at all and when just isn't life and IMHO unhealthy for kids.

Raise your hand if there are parts of your day that you find monotonous/boring/you hate? Be you working or at home? *raises hand*
    Totally. And you learn to deal with the boring parts. The kids are that are only learning about what they are interested in will really struggle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    You're totally right and I like to chime in to these discussions as a more structured homeschooler, as there are always plenty of opinions from unschoolers in these threads.

I have a friend currently homeschooling for health reasons with her youngest, it's been really interesting watching her journey on Facebook. She has a 'classroom' at home and follows a certain structure and curriculum, I'm fairly certain through a specific program that sends her all the materials she needs for each age. Her children also go to classes with other homeschoolers at a charter school. Definitely a huge difference between what she is doing and what unschooling does and believes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can I also just add as I saw Finland mentioned earlier, yes they don't believe in 'big school' until age 7 but children still do attend preschool programs until then.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

DynamiteandaLazerBeam  (12-05-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (07-05-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default University entry, "main****** resources"

Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Khan academy is recommended by Qld State Schools for extra homework. I think the fascination comes from the fact that you are rejecting facets of main****** schooling while utilising resources used by main****** schools.

I would like to know how unschooled highschool age children can access university level courses. Can you please clarify exactly what those courses are and how they are accessed in the absence of formal schooling results? Are you accessing content from Australian universities or something overseas? For example, I am aware that some American universities have content online that can be accessed for free by anyone in the world, but you then need to pay to sit their exams. Is that what you are referring to? Or something else?
    Australian universities. You do need to pay.

https://home-ed.vic.edu.au/university-entry/

I use lots of resources that main****** school also uses:
    Excel workbooks
    Computer
    Pencils
    Museums
    Science centres
    Etc.

I don't smoke, but I still use matches.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default everyday maths

All sorts. Algebra. Geometry. Basic calculus. Down to addition, subtraction, telling time, measuring. The first 3 I'd struggle with teaching a high school student and I'm uni educated (just not in a maths based field lol)
    My 7 year old can already do basic algebra, addition, subtraction, telling time, and measuring. I will teach him as required, but it is nice to watch him learn so much with minimal instruction.

Can you give me an example of everyday calculus?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Is Coming View Post
    Australian universities. You do need to pay.

https://home-ed.vic.edu.au/university-entry/
    Okay, so you are referring to accessing homeschooling resources provided by universities NOT enrolling your child in an actual degree or university level work.

I don't smoke, but I still use matches.
    ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For those that homeschool do you teach things that you are not personally good at or interested in - like music , language or art etc I'm bad at all 3 but at school DS is exposed to such a huge variety of subjects so he gets to see what his actual likes/dislikes are - he loves art, plays piano and is loving learning mandarin , 3 things I have absolutely no hope in teaching him , if your not able to expose your kids to these kinds of things don't you worry they may miss out on a passion or have a skill they may not ever be able to find at home because you don't have the resources or skills to teach it?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default University level work: 2-4 units = entrance to degree

Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Okay, so you are referring to accessing homeschooling resources provided by universities NOT enrolling your child in an actual degree or university level work.

?
    Open Universities Australia (OUA) This a consortium of Australian universities and colleges offering university units to the general public on a user-pays basis. These are regular university subjects, the same as students enrolled in full university courses study. Many home educated students use OUA as a university entrance route. It is possible to do your whole degree online or you can do a couple of subjects and then use your instead of an ATAR score for a non-year 12 application through VTAC. Subjects are studied externally using the internet and resources that are mailed to you. There are over 700 subjects to choose from. There is no published minimum age for studying through Open Universities and we have known 11 year olds to enrol.  There are no entry requirements for many first year undergraduate subjects and those that do have entry requirements can be accessed by completing other units first. There are four study periods in the year beginning in March, June, September and December and each subject goes for about 13 weeks. They offer Unilearn bridging units in areas such as mathematics, chemistry, biology and physics for people who wish to improve their skills before attempting a university subject in these areas. They also offer Prep Modules which give students information about things like time management and preparing for exams. There is a list of recommended first units for people who are just beginning university studies. Subjects costs are : Undergraduate subjects vary from $850 to $1500, Unilearn subjects vary from $125 to $800, PREP units range from free to $125 Fee Help is a loan scheme (like HELP) that may be accessed to defer the cost until the student is earning an income. A student enrolled in two subjects is considered to be a full time university student. Completing 2-4 subjects with good results will get you into a degree using the non-year 12 pathway. Completed subjects can be credited towards a degree at most universities, with Monash the notable exception. - See more at: https://home-ed.vic.edu.au/university-entry/#sthash.aCfguXyE.dpuf

I have no issue using whatever resources will be of benefit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Is Coming View Post
    My 7 year old can already do basic algebra, addition, subtraction, telling time, and measuring. I will teach him as required, but it is nice to watch him learn so much with minimal instruction.

Can you give me an example of everyday calculus?
    Genuine question. I have a SN child with significant learning delays. Would you still unschool if you had a SN child?